AI AXMC Negatives???

Yea its not like the rangers , SF, Delta, and lots of other units you never heard of have been using them to dispatch the enemies of this nation for going on 30 years now.

Clearly they are garbage.......... Now tell us about your game gun and your lack of time on a 2 way firing range. Perhaps you can impart some meaningful wisdom in this thread.

True but HK won the CSASS contract.

True but HK won the CSASS contract.
And sig is winning contracts left and right despite being trash products. Corruption in procurement is not new. CSASS is big green stupidity. The mk11 and sr25 was cool guy procurement (ie the users get what they want) long before it became the m110 and big green.

Truth is they should have went with a modern sr25 or a SCAR variant in 6.5 creedmoor with a good can and quality optic like the ones selected. The m28 brings nothing new to the table that didn't already exist. Mk20 is what they should have gotten.

So back to the AXMC question. There are no negatives to me once you get past the cost.

I've owned:
Stiller
Surgeon
Defiance
Desert Tech

None came even close to being as reliable or smooth of an action as the AI in my experiences. DT being the worst in terms of feel. Felt like I was running the bolt over gravel. All had failures, most due to trigger issues. None of them were noticeably more accurate than any of my AIs.

As far as ergos, that's all about what fits you best. Some like AIs (AX vs AT), some like traditional stocks, some like other chassis like MPA.

As far as weight. My AXMC 17.8lbs with Proof Barrel, NF ATACR 7-35 and TBAC Suppressor. 17.8lbs is manageable to me. If it's not for you, then it may be prudent to look elsewhere. My short action AXs with steel barrels also weighed 17.8lbs as well. My AT weighed in the 17lb range as well.

I put a premium on reliability so in my opinion there is AI and then there is everyone else.

YMMV

The AI action can't be beat. However, the DT gives you SA and LA in one package and though the trigger is not ABSOLUTELY perfect, it is pretty damn good. The bolt is not silky smooth and if you don't favor a bullpup then forget this. I'd have to argue that the mags are fine and mine have been 100% reliable and barrel changes are relatively cheap. For a compact multi caliber system the DT is the best. I don't think anyone will question it's accuracy. If I want to have another long rifle it will be an AXMC.

Last edited:
The biggest downside for me was that the MC (at least to my knowledge) only comes in large firing pin. Since I shoot 6.5x47L and like small rifle primer rounds, the thought of having 3 bolts bushed was a no-go as well.
You only need the bolt with the .484" (.308) boltface bushed, the magnum and .338 LM cartridges are large primer only.
Also, the grip on an AI is huge and some may not like it. It's not much of an issue for me, but worth mentioning when considering what could potentially be a $10k commitment (with all the switch calibers).

Last edited:
Finally got to put my hands on an AX chassis today and was not impressed at all. Seemed VERY cheap compared to my J Allens. I really want an AXMC for the versatility but I sure hope it feels better as a whole system. Think I'm going to put my purchase off until I can find someone close to me that has one I can look at.
You're the first I've read to suggest an AI chassis felt "cheap".
Heavy maybe, and the ergos not to your liking, but everything on an AI is purpose built and made to function in the worst of conditions with top quality design, machining, materials, and finishes.

What makes the bolt on the Desert Tech not silky smooth? Is it something that can be improved by a gunsmith?

This is something that just is a product of the design. The bolt lift is heavier than an AI and it needs to be run hard and fast. Not conducive to comps, were “slow is smooth and smooth is fast” typically rules the day.

Reactions: Bradu
The AI action can't be beat. However, the DT gives you SA and LA in one package and though the trigger is not ABSOLUTELY perfect, it is pretty damn good. The bolt is not silky smooth and if you don't favor a bullpup then forget this. I'd have to argue that the mags are fine and mine have been 100% reliable and barrel changes are relatively cheap. For a compact multi caliber system the DT is the best. I don't think anyone will question it's accuracy. If I want to have another long rifle it will be an AXMC.

You can shoot short action calibers from an AXMC...

You only need the bolt with the .484" (.308) boltface bushed, the magnum and .338 LM cartridges are large primer only.
Also, the grip on an AI is huge and some may not like it. It's not much of an issue for me, but worth mentioning hen considering what could potentially be a $10k commitment (with all the switch calibers).

Correct, you only need the 308 bolt bushed. BUT, doing that would mean you’d have to buy an additional $600 firing pin assembly because you would need a small and a large firing pin assembly. (I’m ignoring the option of disassembling and swapping out just the firing pin itself, because F that)

I spent a lot of time and money on custom rifles. I do like the custom rifles I have but If the local gun store had an AXMC on the shelf, that would have ended it. I live in California and I wasn't really sure how to get a hold of an AI unless it was on the shelf. On a Saturday, I called Euro Optics and they told me that it wasn't a problem.. I never looked back. Bought a few and one for my 13 year old son. Well, he got an AT.

So the only negative I had was how to get one imported into my state.

At least with the lefty MC, 300 win mag was my only choice. So if the MC is $1000 more than the AX, you also have to add about $1500 on top of that for the 308 bolt and a 6.5 creed barrel.

T

I don't think think they make Left handed long action .308 replacement bolts at this point. I was looking in to this around SHOT show and AI could not give me a time line...

Last edited: