• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

AIAW owners

Re: AIAW owners

Every AW owner I know has extra barrels and a barrel change kit.

Bro-- You bought a Bentley and now you are bitchin' about how expensive new tires are!

Buck up and buy the parts to put together your own barrel change kit.

+1: Stan's the guy to ask about this one.

New AW barrels are expensive. He told me that one can get a few barrels done to the same chamber specs, with the same reamer, from GAP, making it a lot less of a hassle to get the rifle back up and running with the same load after the old barrel goes south.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=3381

My question would be whether I could by an AWM, remove and sell the barrel first thing, and just shoot 10-twist replacement tubes from GAP cut and finished the way I want them.

I've had both a Rock and a Bartlein they were as good if not better than the original AW barrel. I had GAP do it, but the AI barrel change kit is an option - about $1100-1200.

I have 308 and 260 barrels for mine, both RSR and I have changed them together in his basement it takes us less than 8 Minutes to swap the barrel and we don't even have to remove the scope.

Its the only way to fly with an AW.

GAP has done all my spare barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every AW owner I know has extra barrels and a barrel change kit.

Bro-- You bought a Bentley and now you are bitchin' about how expensive new tires are!

Buck up and buy the parts to put together your own barrel change kit. </div></div>

I bought a Bently, but the tires were bad when i got it
smile.gif
I now have a 2007 model AW, but it does not shoot like my 1995 model did. Im convinced it is the barrel. Many of you may disagree i know, but you really need to shoot it, then my sako trg and have had to shoot my old sako and AW to know where Im coming from. The TRGs always seem to shoot the same (which is outstanding)

I saw an AW with a fluted Rock barrel on it once and it looked outstanding. The owner told me that the rock did get better results then the factory barrel.

Id love to get a barrel change kit, but think mine is going to be somethign from brownells. Honestly the only part I am confused over is the barrel vise. There is too many to choose from to the point that i dont know what I need.

You are more than welcome to zip down to Marietta and we will get that barrel put on for you.... but as Lowlight said, it takes nothing to do it, so it might be a long trip for a short swap, but you are more than welcome.

Stan0 here. Funny this came up....I just ordered 5 more barrels from Kreiger yesterday for my 300.
I have had 6 AI barrels. They all shot very well. The two problems with them is that they are now close to $2k apiece and they do not always use the same reamer, So, you have to do load development with every barrel. You can solve that problem by ordering your own reamer or having the same gunsmith (GAP, Terry Cross etc) make you a new barrel everytime. You might also order multiple barrels..depending on how often you shoot. Hope that helps..

I saved money by buying the barrel vise only from Sporting Arms in the UK. I bought the wrench from Thunderbeast Arms and already had a torque wrench. Much cheaper than buying the whole kit from AI. Go & No-Go guages are cheap if you do not get AI ones. Hope that helps.

22" fluted rock with a threaded barrel
g2.jpg

24" Rock plain barrel AE MK1
gap.jpg

Both had the barrels installed by GAP.

Both shoot one hole with factory ammo, even better with handloads. Got these like this already, don'y know why tubes were swapped. I have an AI AT that shoots as good with a factory SS fluted barrel. A always YMMV. If you take your barrel off let me know, I miht be nterested in it.

Moon at GAP turned a 6.5CM Bartlein barrel for my AW and I LOVE it. It shoots bug holes.

I sold my AI barrel change kit to a customer and bought a Brownell's 3" heavy duty barrel vise and a Zak Smith TB action wrench. Works just as good at a third the cost.

I hope this helps.

Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS

I have two AI's and 6 barrels. Several AI and several Bartlein chambered by GAP. I use the Brownell's vice set-up. Call Stacey and he can help. You may want to get the barrel vise and action wrench and adjust your torque settings on your barrel....your groups may improve from what I have heard.

Pat