• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

AICS and Tubegun questions

frog_a_lot

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2011
Howdy, fairly new here and in the shooting scene, hopefully these questions havent been answered too many times.

I currently have a Rem 700 SPS-Tac .223 with Harris Bipod and Redfield 4-12x40 scope.

I have been looking at getting an AICS 1.5 stock to put the SPS-Tac into.
Am i right in thinking the AICS simply bolts in and out of the SPS, so if in the future i buy a 308 short action i can simply pull the .223 out n swap it for the 308. This would mean i could pretty much have a choice of 223 or 308 to take out since it wouldnt take much time to swap actions, just a few screws. That is working on the fact that both actions/barrels would have there own scope.

If not an AICS i was also looking at the TAC 21, MacMillian or a Mak Tube gun or other stock, but do these all require glueing? So it would make swapping calibers in and out much harder if i upgraded?

I do like the idea of AR15/M16 pistol grips, stocks etc, so i can make it look tacticool. Is there any of these types of stocks that dont require glueing? so i could change calibers when i upgrade?

I do love the look of the Mak Tube guns with magpul PRS and pistol grip etc
smile.gif

Oh and im from Aus, so no mention of go buy an AR or whatever
smile.gif

Cheers

Re: AICS and Tubegun questions

You can purchase an AICS and swap actions into it whenever you like. It can also be done pretty quickly.

XLR Industries makes a stock that will make your bolt gun handle very much like an AR. It's called the Evolution Chassis and it does not require gluing or bedding. Installation requires a few more operations than the AICS, so swapping actions is not as quick. However it is still pretty easy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog_a_lot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Oh and im from Aus, so no mention of go buy an AR or whatever
smile.gif

</div></div>
Poor guy.

Oh well, welcome to the hide. At least you didn't ask "What rifle/scope/miscellaneous piece of equipment is best?"

What's the advantage of the manners chassis vs aics one? I havent really looked at the manners yet,

Is there any disadvantage of regulary swapping stocks between guns? Like I want to do with say the aics

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog_a_lot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the advantage of the manners chassis vs aics one? I havent really looked at the manners yet,

Is there any disadvantage of regulary swapping stocks between guns? Like I want to do with say the aics </div></div>

No serious advantage to the AICS, just another option. You do have the ability to put it into almost any Manners stock. This gives you options when choosing the stock. The AICS is a solid set up, but some dont feel right behind the thumbhole design. Manners offers multiple stock designs.

Either way I would strongly recommend getting behind as many as you can before you choose. Manners, AICS, and McRee have outstanding chassis systems.