AICS Bipod Rail mount?

Whit

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2009
Ohio
Does anyone know where I can find a Picitinny rail to mount to the underside of the forend of the AICS to mount a LRA Bipod? I think it has to be at least 5" long.

Re: AICS Bipod Rail mount?

I have one of Phoenix Tactical's (Cheese's) bipod rail mounts on my AIAW and it works really well. I actually removed the old AI harris bipod mount and then did a little drmeling on the Phoenix rail and mounted it as far forward as I could. Works very well.

1-7.jpg

2-6.jpg

3-6.jpg

If you are using an AI, the best solution is to utilities the spigot mount as pushing the bipod out further from the stock will aid in accuracy. Less movement will be transferred the closer to the end of the barrel you are.

Check out the BigDog Steel adapter

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3141766&page=1

railclose2adapter.jpg

the stud is removable so yo can use a Harris or Atlas.

These are great and can be used loose or tight.

Frank,
Does that turn in the AI Spigot or does it lock in and doesn't move around? I was looking at getting a LRA Bipod but it already cants (Lockable). I want to be able to lock the cant, so it doesn't cant on me.

I never break my position or "adjust" my bipod often enough to notice.

It's not like every shot you touch it... and physics don't lie, the further out the bipod is, the more accurate the shot and the position.

if you find you're fiddling with the bipod that often mount it at the mag well

Just make sure your bipod is correctly adjusted before you go shoot and you dont have to break position to adjust bipod.

I have the viperskins and I find that I can actually go really high or really low with my bipod and still be fine. Because the back of the stock has a cut out allowing me to go low and if I need more height I just slide my rear bag under the bottom of the stock. It allow for a lot of flexibility in my bipod height.

I have Viperskins too. I have a UGSW Infidel in 338 Lapua. I don't think I am going to have to worry about breaking position unless they start making AR500 that shoots back, which could be fun and more interesting.

Thanks Frank. I am going to look into it. I liked dealing with Ryan at BigDog Steel. I bought a target off of him and I saved on shipping b/c he met me in a town 20min from home to do the exchange. He is a good guy.

It wasn't a problem with the KAC UNS mount and this pushes the bipod out about the same amount.

IMG_6887.jpg

It's greater with the Atlas on the end of the Badger IMUNS.

As Frank said, it's actually more stable. The only very minor drawback is the closer to the muzzle you place the bipod the more distance you have to move the buttstock to track the target. I have not measured to see what the multiplication factor is, but I have a feeling it is so minor as to be lost in the noise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are using an AI, the best solution is to utilities the spigot mount as pushing the bipod out further from the stock will aid in accuracy. Less movement will be transferred the closer to the end of the barrel you are.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3141766&page=1

railclose2adapter.jpg

These are great and can be used loose or tight. </div></div>

Missed that one.....looks damn nice.

B & T Kasey also makes one that works well also.

If you choose to go with a rail on the forearm, make sure its made for the AICS. I have a rail that fits in a similar slot on a Robar SR90. I wanted to see how an Atlas would look on an AW. Turns out the 'T nuts' that slide in the slots didnt fit the AICS.

While I never mind being proven wrong and have eaten crow many times before. Maybe I'm missing something....

Btw no one ever challenged the physics of putting the bi-pod further out for more stabibility.

DSC_0011-5.jpg

railclose2adapter.jpg

Your first image is the new/current AICS. The spigot adapter you see is designed to accept the AI UNS mount adapter. AI stated they are switching back to the old/flush version.

Not sure what your point is. No matter if it's the factory AI receiver, KAC or Badger part, the result is the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are using an AI, the best solution is to utilities the spigot mount as pushing the bipod out further from the stock will aid in accuracy. Less movement will be transferred the closer to the end of the barrel you are.

9ter.jpg

These are great and can be used loose or tight. </div></div>

That looks very nice, I'd like to try one. Seems like a great idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boone wins, he found a picture of an AICS with the extension as opposed to the hundreds of ones used without.

Touche' </div></div>

Your right I do win thanks for recongizing that fact.

That's a picture of my chassis. Both of my chassis have that same block. I actually wasn't trying to be a dick about it. I was trying to understand what I was missing. But I have no problem being a smartass either
wink.gif

Here' a little different look at our spigot rail in the rifle. We should have these up for sale on our website this weekend. We've had a lot of interest in these lately and have about 30 or so left in stock and ready to ship. We also have plenty of Harris stud adapters and thumbscrews.

Lowlight should have his full review posted sometime in the near future with a more in-depth look at them for your viewing pleasure.

railcloseup.jpg

gunside.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Searcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you choose to go with a rail on the forearm, make sure its made for the AICS. I have a rail that fits in a similar slot on a Robar SR90. I wanted to see how an Atlas would look on an AW. Turns out the 'T nuts' that slide in the slots didnt fit the AICS. </div></div>

Thats why I am looking at Ryans, I am checking with David at LRA to make sure I know the length of rail I need to mount the bipod. Unless he has a model specific for the AICS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">boone you have the extended block that is intended to accept the AI UNS mount.

I can see how you would not want to stack and extended adapter on the end of that, but in reality it isn't a problem. </div></div>

Thanks John.

Re-Reading and after a friend pointed out to me I did a piss poor job on explaining my position and problem. I should have clarified more information and articulated my point more. That’s my fault for the failure of communication.

I just bought 2 AICS chassis and both have those blocks. I didn't realize there was a difference between designs. I have a clamp on Atlas and was looking for a method to attach my current Atlas to it. However I didn't like the idea stacking these units together and pushing my bi-pod that much further out. Nor did I want to have to sell my Atlas to buy a different model.

As far as "breaking position" I wasn't referring to shot to shot. I was talking about shooting in one position and have to get up and move to another location only to find that I need to make a adjustment to the bi-pod. Sticking the bi-pod that far out would not let me keep my cheek to the stock. This would cause me to break position to "fix" my bi-pod, pick my rifle back up and hope the adjustment I made is correct.

OSU.
I didn't mean for it to come off as I was dogging your product. If it did I apologise. I'm sure as with your other products it's a solid kit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as "breaking position" I wasn't referring to shot to shot. I was talking about shooting in one position and have to get up and move to another location only to find that I need to make a adjustment to the bi-pod. Sticking the bi-pod that far out would not let me keep my cheek to the stock. This would cause me to break position to "fix" my bi-pod, pick my rifle back up and hope the adjustment I made is correct. </div></div>

Who does this ?

Moves their position and when adjusting "any" bipod doesn't break their cheek weld this is a ridiculous statement to make, if you have to adjust the bipod you have to adjust it, and if you are lucky enough to reach out forward to do so without breaking contact with the stock consider yourself in the minority. Most people look because of the spring loaded tensions on the Harris, or to manipulate the locks, etc.

But clearly you're talking about some obscure way of operating the rifle that is just silly to think is a limiting factor with a precision rifle. You "pick" up your rifle while maintaining your cheek weld... ok show me what you mean.

What boone is trying to say is, we are not trying to include ourselves in the majority by attaching the bipod out as far as we can. Yeah, we break cheek weld since we are moving anyway. But when adjusting the bipod we prefer to keep our hand on the grip, recoil pad against shoulder and adjust the bipod with our other arm. Yeah we look to manipulate the locks, etc. but we are still behind the rifle not beside it.

I have long arms, and I mounted the BT17 rail as far rearward as I could using the existing sling stud mounting points. I did this to allow myself to adjust the bipod while I'm still behind the rifle to get the bipod adjusted as required. I think it helps from having to adjust it twice since you are able to look over the scope to check.

the adjustment is so course, how can it matter..

You either move it one or two notches in either direction... problem solved.

It's a ridiculous argument against the spigot mount because it's something "you personally" do... so great, don't want to reach out further don't buy it, but to debate the merits of putting a bipod out further is silly. It's your personal style that has only limited relevance to most shooters.

are you under such time constraints you have to do it "your way" of course not.

Accu-Shot sells the BT28 AFAR rail which mounts with the T-Nuts in the slot in the bottom of the AICS chassis.

I'm using the Badger IMUNS with the Badger ILARK lower rail which also works very nice with the Atlas bipod.
My personal experience was that the slot mounted rail did not mount the bipod as far forward as I liked, the ILARK takes the place of the IMUNS lower sling plate and is a good compromise for location.

Haven't got the spigot mount yet, but I am looking forward to trying one. Personally, I feel that even with the IMUNS the bipod won't be too forward.