AICS fed as a single action?

Smithcollector

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 24, 2009
    Georgia
    Will I have any problems feeding a Rem700 action on an AICS by dropping the round in front of the bolt, or will I need to use the magazine or manually push the round up into the barrel before closing the bolt? In other words, I want to operate an AICS-mounted repeater as a single action. I have a Remington 5r in 223 and the heavier bullets won't single feed, I have to push them into the magazine before closing the bolt. What do you think? different barreled action will go in the AICS, not the 5r, although it will be a 223.

Thanks for advice.

Re: AICS fed as a single action?

No idea on the 223 but the other caliber AICS and AI mags will lock the bolt back when empty. You can shape the back of the follower to allow the bolt to depress the follower to close on an empty mag.

Did that mod to my AWM and single feeding was easy just throw a round in and close the bolt.

Somebody makes a single shot mag block for aics mags. Fits just like a mag, toss in round, close bolt. Can't find it, my googlefu is weak today. Think it was like 30 bucks and made from delrin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thought the AICS would close it was the AW that would not close...???
    </div></div>

I was messing around with an AICS Sunday and both the 338 and 300 mags locked the bolt when empty. The AWM does as well but I dont recall on the AICS SA so you may be right on that one.

223 M700s are a PITA. forget about throwing one in the port and closing the bolt, regardless of stock. The breech cone dimensions do not match up with the smaller radius of the 223 case. putting the bullet below the entry to the chamber.

The next issue you'll run into is the extractor does not like snapping over the case rim. The extractor needs a very very small relieving done with a dremel in order to fix this problem. Go slow, otherwise it won't extract.

Lastly, the ejector travel is too short to fling the case out of the action, so operate the bolt rearward with some gusto, otherwise the fired brass will not eject.

Feeding them from a loaded AI 223 mag is the "best" way to run a 223 in a M700. I just converted my McM stocked 223 to M5 bottom metal running the AI 223 mag and am much happier.

Did I mention that 223 in the M700 does not work very well?

Both of my AICSs can be feed single by laying a cartridge onto an empty mag. Also an empty mag will not lock back in the .308s that I have.

I was hoping my trouble with the 223 5r was limited to that one rifle. I didnt think about the breech dimensions, i guess that action isnt scaled down for the smaller stuff.

You are right about the extractor, had to clean it up, and it's a huge PITA to load singly for f-class. Maybe I should skip the 700 action on this new build and use a single shot action. I like the AICS and wanted to use it, but it seems silly to use it with a single shot action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hdbiker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both of my AICSs can be feed single by laying a cartridge onto an empty mag. Also an empty mag will not lock back in the .308s that I have. </div></div>

Think the bolt stop magazine feature may only be applicable to the AW magazines. 308 AW, 300 AWM, and 338 AWSM with the long action AICS utilizing the AW magazines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hdbiker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both of my AICSs can be feed single by laying a cartridge onto an empty mag. Also an empty mag will not lock back in the .308s that I have. </div></div>

Think the bolt stop magazine feature may only be applicable to the AW magazines. 308 AW, 300 AWM, and 338 AWSM with the long action AICS utilizing the AW magazines. </div></div>

My AE MKI locked the bolt too when the mag was empty. All of the AICS chassis I've had with 308 did not lock back but I've never had or used a AICS long action or the short action with 223 mags.

I have the same setup as Smithcollector. You have the plastic mags too right? When shooting single shots i've always put one into the port but slid it slightly forward with my hand so maybe 1/4 of it is in the chamber before moving the bolt forward to lock it up into firing position. I have never had any problems doing that using a variety of different sized bullets from 53 to 69 grain.

Never tried just a drop and push tho. Will give that a go next time while at the range. I would think theoretically 9H is correct. If the dimensions of the action are the same between the .308 and .223, the smaller radius of the round would make it have a harder time sliding up that ramp due to the sharper angle upwards it must take to get chambered.

i feed my rem700SA .308 as a single shot
    to avoid scratches on the projectile i push it by hand into the chamber have not had any issues at all with my set up
    *it isn't out of an AI stock but this shouldn't make any difference whatsoever
    *all you can do in the end is try if it won't extract the case from the chamber it's back to the 18oo's and you'll need to run a cleaning rod down the bore to push the spent case out.

I also use a .223 set up and can lay a round into the port and feed from an empty mag. A friend of mine does have problems feeding with his and my conclusion is the case mouth is hanging up on the eased edge of the chamber. Feeding from the mag is no problem, possibly from the slightly angled approach. Maybe my chamber has more of a bevel than his. At least that's all I could come up with.

I never realized, but is that how single shot rifles work? You can just throw a round into the port then use the bolt to seat the round without having to push the round by hand into the chamber at all? If so that seems pretty cool. I shoot mostly by reloading one at a time even tho the AICS .223 mag holds 10 rounds. It gives me better pacing on my shots, less reason to rush and more time for the barrel to cool down. Plus i collect all the brass anyway, no point ejecting it 10 feet away to pick up later.

I have not had problems feeding a single round with my 700' s or surgeon with aics mags. You can't just throw it in there though as mentioned earlier.