• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing aics mag mod

Re: aics mag mod

easiest thing to do is use Blue or Black wonder. I can vouch for Blue Wonder, it is some tough stuff and it doesnt rust. Black Wonder is new, I havent used it, buit I would asume it works just as good as the blue version. Just follow the instructions.

You can pick up some stuff from Oreilly's called Duplicolor high heat paint with Ceramic. I have used it for a couple of quicky projects and it works great. Spray it on and cook it.

AK on left I used the last of my Norrels black and left most of the nice bluing on the kit. AK on the right the kit wasnt in as good shape so I refinished the whole gig in the Duplicolor stuff mainly to protect the metal till I got some new norrels. Turned out good enough I just left it.

15673DSC01319.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .308er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK i just drilled out the spot welds on my aics mag and tiged the holes then ground the welds now i need to refinish the exposed steel. any suggestions? </div></div>

I drilled out spot welds to drop the front strap, degreased the drilled area well, put a scotch tape on the inside to block the hole, and filled in the hole with JB Weld, wiped excess JB flush to the metal, clean the surrounding area of the hole, let JB fully cure, remove scotch tape.

I modified two 5 rounders for two different rifles this way, no problem so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .308er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK i just drilled out the spot welds on my aics mag and tiged the holes then ground the welds now i need to refinish the exposed steel. any suggestions? </div></div>

I drilled out spot welds to drop the front strap, degreased the drilled area well, put a scotch tape on the inside to block the hole, and filled in the hole with JB Weld, wiped excess JB flush to the metal, clean the surrounding area of the hole, let JB fully cure, remove scotch tape.

I modified two 5 rounders for two different rifles this way, no problem so far. </div></div>

HOLY CRAP!! These are freakin magazines, not works of art! Bondo on a magazine spot weld?

Just spray the freakin thing with whatever spray paint is handy and call it a day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I am lost what the mag mod for longer seating depth??

Dustin </div></div>

One would take the front plate out of the AICS mag to allow longer OAL of the given cartridge. Problem is that is only part of it. You can modify the mag all you want but if you don't notch the receiver the mag mod is worthless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I modified two 5 rounders for two different rifles this way, no problem so far. </div></div>

HOLY CRAP!! These are freakin magazines, not works of art! Bondo on a magazine spot weld?

Just spray the freakin thing with whatever spray paint is handy and call it a day. </div></div>

he didn't bondo it to smooth out the weld, he closed the old spot weld holes with jb weld. i don't think that is a great way to do it and suspect eventually the jb weld plugs will fall out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I am lost what the mag mod for longer seating depth??

Dustin </div></div>

One would take the front plate out of the AICS mag to allow longer OAL of the given cartridge. Problem is that is only part of it. You can modify the mag all you want but if you don't notch the receiver the mag mod is worthless. </div></div>

i am not sure if everyone realizes the receiver feed ramp also needs to be slightly modified also.

receivermodsforlongeroal2.jpg

receivermodsforlongeroal3.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
he didn't bondo it to smooth out the weld, he closed the old spot weld holes with jb weld. i don't think that is a great way to do it and suspect eventually the jb weld plugs will fall out. </div></div>

Oh my!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .308er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300sniper is that a diy job? Did you just use a dremmel? </div></div>

i used a 1/4" endmill and plunged it using my mill. i suppose it could be done with a dremel but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice of tool.

When I modified my AI mags for my 7wsm I had best results when I milled out the plate from the inside, leaving the original welds. It takes a little more time, but it is nice and smooth on the inside ensuring that a bullet tip won't wander into the hole resulting in a jam up. This way, you also don't need to do any coating repair on the outside of the mag.

I was wondering about taking the front plate out of my aics 10rd mags. How much oal length are you guys getting? I was just playing with some Berger .308 155.5s and had to seat them way deeper than I wanted to to fit them in the magS. I like how 300sniper milled a slot in his feed ramp. I'm assuming the angle of the ramp isn't changing at all?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 916dude!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering about taking the front plate out of my aics 10rd mags. How much oal length are you guys getting? I was just playing with some Berger .308 155.5s and had to seat them way deeper than I wanted to to fit them in the magS. I like how 300sniper milled a slot in his feed ramp. I'm assuming the angle of the ramp isn't changing at all? </div></div>

the angle isn't changed at all. the cartridge sits high enough in the magazine that the cut out so it doesn't affect feeding at all.