• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing AICS torques

Re: AICS torques

may be off topic but on my 1.5 there is an unsightly gap between the skins in the trigger guard area. Is this common? I can pinch the skins together in this area and force them to align properly but when pressure is released they again come apart. Doesnt really affect anything but looks shabby on such a high quality piece of equipment.

I have always used the 53.1 or whatever the directions state (I don't remember off the top of my head).

IIRC, TacPro suggests 65in.lbs for the action bolts.

rwest: on some skins we have seen gaps and it can be fixed sometimes by a little time on the end users. I have done this myself over the years by checking where the gaps occur, skins on and off till I find a small rise or material that can be removed to allow the gap to close. depending on if you have say an older chassis (welded) or newer (pinned) will make a small difference as well. If you would like, contact me and I will be glad to assist. But normally 30 minutes or so of time and for most a dremel tool, problem fixed.

Yes sir, ALL AICS action mounting screws are 53 inch lbs. Many years ago, I know and have seen this, installation sheets that stated "65 inch lbs". Have you done harm to the AICS, no, not to worry. I have seen shooter, on their decision, run from 53 to 65 inch lbs over the many years.

Naaaaa, that is what I would refer to as "shooterdiditagainiddas"
To be honest, I have been running the 65"lb. for years on mine before I received the change. I have been shooting both and truly not noticed a real difference. The main reason I have seen issues in the past, truly has been on the barreled action side. When you take a “mass production” setup, which we all take and strip, rebuild and work to a real nice setup, then that should speak volumes. Could the higher torque on one receiver to another vary our results, definitely a possibility. Simply try removing, reinstall, torque and shoot to see if any correction has been introduced. Best wishes and lmk if you need any assistance.