AICS with .338 LM bedding question

Fred @ Bison Tactical

Bison Tactical
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 18, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    www.bisontactical.com
    In one of the other forums, I asked a related question, but it was more generic. I am looking for more specific info on long range accuracy in this forum since it seems like the best place.

If anyone has some firsthand knowledge on the AICS stock with .338LM shooting at <1000 yards, I would like to hear your opinion whether glass bedding/glue bedding is required for accuracy reasons, or if the standard aluminum bedding is accurate without any additional bedding?

I am getting different recommendations from different smiths, so looking for some firsthand information from folks that have and shoot these.

Re: AICS with .338 LM bedding question

GAP usually throws a small bedding pad just in front of the lug on my Chassis.

I have a GAP 338 in a AICS 2.0 and it is bedded. I haven't really noticed a huge difference with or without as I have them both ways, but I have no issue with them doing it.

Thanks, thats something similar to what one of the smiths recommended.

By the way, are you getting 1/2 MOA or better with your GAP .338 in AICS, one of the smiths is not real sure how the AICS will hold up with the .338 LM vs a more standard synthetic style stock like a McMillian.

There was a discussion on it a while back (see below) and I went and bedded my LA AICS which I use on both .300WM and .338LM (Manners T5 has just shown up which will save me switching out in future).

AICS bedding thread

I can honestly say I've not really seen a difference after bedding, It can't hurt however and properly done should only improve things.

In response to your question regarding your smiths issue with AICS durability - there isn't any issue. These things are bomb proof and make a great platform for the larger magnums. The only issue with AICS in .338 is the non CIP mags needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeroFish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the feedback. A couple more questions - Why the Manners T5 stock over another AICS? Also, not sure I understand the issue about the non CIP mags, can you provide more detail? </div></div>

The standard LA AICS will only allow use of the shorter original .338 mags (91.5mm COAL), the CIP length is 93.5mm. I ordered the the T5 to accept the longer Badger DBM for the CIP mags. If you plan on single loading or don't mind 91.5mm COAL max then its not really an issue.

I didn't have a T5 stock and liked the fit (having tried a SA), one came up on Manners ready to ship page which coincided with a shipment to the UK so I put my name against it. Great stock and great people to deal with.