• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Air rifles?

Re: Air rifles?

Absolutely. Make sure you get a high quality one from Weihrauch or Air Arms. What powerplant do you have in mind and what is your budget?

I shoot a Benjamin Marauder. 22 cal at around 900 fps silenced. Very accurate and fun. Ultra cheep too. My son and I shot over 50 squirrels last fall with it. Which rifles are you looking at?

Just had my FX Superswift .22 cal PCP out this afternoon shooting ground squirrels. I have been shooting air rifles for years, but am now thinking about selling my last one, so I can spend more money on centerfires and rimfires. Some day I will come back to them, but for now I really like to see the damage a 17 HMR does to a ground squirrel.
SScott

Air Arms TX-2000 MK3 here.

Amazing accuracy and the ability to knock birds out of trees at stupid distances very quietly. If I had one when I was a kid there would be no birds in Ohio.

I got my dads old air rifle about a week ago. It shoots extremely well and I feel it helps a ton shit it's cheap trigger tome and I have a range set up in my house. My back drop is a duffle bag stuffed with old clothing and shit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neoinarien</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone use these much for back yard fun/practice? I've been thinking about it... </div></div>

How much do you want to spend?

What type of power plant,spring piston,pump pneumatic,pre charged pneumatic ?

M-rod004.jpg

I like the Weirauch. My dad still has and shoots his HW80. It has been going strong for a long time now! I think he bought it about 24 or 25 years ago.

I have a customer who brings in a different toy each visit to the barber shop. He brought in a VERY high end pellet gun. The thing was up words of 2K and man was it nice. He let me take it home for a few days and do some testing. Well I shot my only and first .0 three shoot group at 30 yards. It can just get addicting! I hated to give it back, but I still got my target!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the Weirauch. My dad still has and shoots his HW80. It has been going strong for a long time now! I think he bought it about 24 or 25 years ago. </div></div>
I concur. While the HW80 (Beeman R1 in full-power U.S. version) is an older design, it is still one of the very best spring pistons around and will last several generations given proper maintenance. I own two .20 gas piston R1s' and a conventional spring .177 R1 Laser Mark II.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">.20 Beeman R1 Gas Piston w/ "Custom Classic Walnut stock, MAC 1 Screw Cups, JM Polished Blued Steel Trigger Guard, Venom Swept Back Trigger Blade:</span></span>
P2263530.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeups of pistol grip area of "Custom Classic Walnut stock, JM High Polish Blued Steel Trigger Guard, and Venom Swept Back Trigger Blade:</span></span>
P2263539.jpg

P2263534.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeups of JM High Polish Blued Steel Trigger Guard:</span></span>
P2263542.jpg

JMSteelTriggerGuard4.jpg

JMSteelTriggerGuard3.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">neoinarien</span></span>,

If you're interested, I have a <span style="font-style: italic">better-than-new condition</span>, tuned Beeman R9 set in a Beeman R10 Deluxe stock complete with Beeman Crow Magnum Muzzle Brake. When I bought the R9 I paid a $90.00 upgrade fee for the R10 Deluxe stock, and Don Walker at Beeman let me pick through the remaining 8 or 9 R10 Deluxe stocks that Beeman had left in their warehouse in Huntington Beach.

I've <span style="font-style: italic">exactly</span> placed 7.9gr Beeman FTS pellets behind the ears of squirrels at 30+ yards with this rifle - they just fall limp before the spasms. I just never shoot it and its' taking up space in the safe. PM me if you're interested, and I'll shoot some photos of the rifle.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bubb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a customer who brings in a different toy each visit to the barber shop. He brought in a VERY high end pellet gun. The thing was up words of 2K and man was it nice. He let me take it home for a few days and do some testing. Well I shot my only and first .0 three shoot group at 30 yards. It can just get addicting! I hated to give it back, but I still got my target!
</div></div>
Did it look something like this? This was my FT rifle, it's a PCP with an electronic trigger. It was my first high dollar rifle with a Walnut stock and a rosewood cap, the Europeons really know how to make an air rifle.
SScott
Daystate1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neoinarien</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone use these much for back yard fun/practice? I've been thinking about it... </div></div>

Air rifles are great. I got my wife interested in shooting by showing her how to hit clay pigeons in our back yard with an old break open air rifle.
They are a great way to practice the basic fundamentals of shooting. From sight alignment, trigger control, weapons handling/safety... etc.

I have a Gamo Socom and I'm on the fence as to whether or not its as good as the Daisy Powerline I just gave to my son. I do think its overpriced though and some of the accessories that came with it are pure junk. That said air rifles are a valuable training aid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yourotherleft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Neo, you should get one. First educate yourself on what system you want(springer, single/multi stroke pneumatic, pcp etc) then check out this airguns classifieds:

http://www.airguns.net/classifieds/classifieds.php

Maybe you can find what you like there. Cheers! </div></div>

Yeah, I've been reading about them for about a month now. Not claiming to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination. My talking about it lead to my father in law making a semi-impulse purchase of a ruger nighthawk in .177. He's left it over at my place since I life in a fairly rural area and he is in a very city to suburban. It's you're basic break action. It's a lot of fun. I hate the trigger, but for $109 it came with scope, rings, etc: a good deal.

any recommendations from one of the following companies: cz, weihrauch, or gamo?

i'm not really willing to go higher than about 250$ (without scope)

i think i'd prefer something with a gas filled tube, rather than pumping each and every shot ... but then i guess that might not be within the desired price class combined with some accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While on this subject, anyone have an average .177 pellet BC? I'd like to run some numbers on my own Beeman shooting 10.9gr dome pellets. </div></div>

JBM has does BC's and ballistics tables for pellets now.

There's a free program called Chairgun that has some BC's also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yourotherleft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Feinwerkbau FWB601. But I've been wanting to get me a nice PCPs maybe from Daystate. I'm done with springer. </div></div>

I only have one springer left even though I was raised on them.It's a AirArms TX200 which for a springer is amazingly accurate.The first time I shot a PCP air rifle I was hooked.The better ones will out group most rimfires.

Did you guys see this thread.The target shown with my wifes USFT is a test target sent with her gun from Tim the guy who built it.It's 12 shots at 51Y from bags in a test tunnel.If you took the 3 outside holes off it'd be close to a .2" group.As is it's .3 something.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...095#Post2511095

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While on this subject, anyone have an average .177 pellet BC? I'd like to run some numbers on my own Beeman shooting 10.9gr dome pellets. </div></div>

JBM has does BC's and ballistics tables for pellets now.

There's a free program called Chairgun that has some BC's also. </div></div>Thanks. Hadn't noticed that before - fired up JBM on my phone and there it is, Crossman Premier Heavy's at 0.026 BC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve, what about the anschutz 8001 that the CMP sells, any good for the $$$? </div></div>

Hi Jason,

Me personally,I think you could do much better off the airgunclassieds.Sometimes you can find used PCP match rifles for around a $1000.

Those 10 meter Olympic match rifles normally shoot a 8 grain approx pellet at around 600fps.Not very powerful but super accurate.Great for indoors or backyard and smaller pests.

If you didn't want to spend that much then just about any of the older Olympic match rifle will do the same thing but not being PCP.Woogiemans FWB would be a good example.I'm not up on all the old match rifles but I do know some were single cock recoiless spring and some were single pump pnuematic.Those types are some frikken sweet old match rifles.