• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Am I doing this wrong?

Joe Perlo

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2012
Philadelphia, Pa.
I've been reloading 168 grain SMK bullets to shoot at paper targets at 100 yards. I thought that I was doing the right thing. I now find out that this bullet won't stabize untill 300 yards and that I should be reloading a flat based bullet for shooting at 100 yards. Is this true? Please advise me. Thank you, Joe

Re: Am I doing this wrong?

You left out one very important piece of data: How is it shooting with your current load? Don't fix what isn't broken.
My only thought on the 168s is that they tend to go subsonic at 800-1000 yards, so if you plan on shooting longer yardages you may want to try 175s.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muffler Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's shooting ok.</div></div>

Define 'ok' Are you MOA or less? Measured group size? And how about some rifle specs?
Do you have a range longer than 100 yards?

1911fan

CEGA That's what I wanted to hear. In all honesty, I'm just trying to get the most out of the gun. I am going to try a few heavier bullets anyway so I might as well try some flat based one also. Thanks, Joe

Don't sweat too much what it's doing at 100 yards anyway, that's like tuning your dragster to go 100 feet. Within 100 yards, you'll hardly see the difference from the flat base 150gr V-Max to the 210 A-Max, there's just barely time to get either to start stabilizing or even let the variables in your reloading make much difference. It's actually kind of hard to tune a 308 in only 100 yards because you can't see much change on your target.

I realize you're on the east coast like I am, and finding even 100 clear yards is amazing, but you'll be pleasantly surprised if you can ever give that round a chance to stretch its legs. I still shoot my 308 at point blank ranges (100-200 yards), but find a more formidable challenge by using different cartridges in those cramped confines; my current favorite this month is my 22 hornet
laugh.gif

When I was younger I use to shoot a .220 Swift at 600 meters. That range is now a shopping mall. The .22 caliper at that range was a task. But great fun. The longer ranges are drying up around these parts. Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muffler Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been reloading 168 grain SMK bullets to shoot at paper targets at 100 yards. I thought that I was doing the right thing. I now find out that this bullet won't stabize untill 300 yards and that I should be reloading a flat based bullet for shooting at 100 yards. Is this true? Please advise me. Thank you, Joe </div></div>

What kind of rifle? What cartridge? .308 or .30-06? Some rifles don't like Boattail bullets, but thats usually smaller caliber stuff. .30 cal seems to be happy with whatever. I shoot 168 SMKs from Rem 700 using 43gr of Varget, Win brass/primers, 2.800 COAL. I haven't experienced any of the issues that people speak about using the 168 SMK. By any chance, are you pushing them too fast? Most accuracy loads are NOT necessarily the fastest.

I use almost the same load as you do boltgunluvr. I use 42.3gr's. of Varget, Remington brass, in my .308 caliber 700 Remington VTR. I can't get a tight group with it. I can with other rifles I own, just not with this one, YET. I'm just going down the list and doing everything I can to make it happen. Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muffler Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use almost the same load as you do boltgunluvr. I use 42.3gr's. of Varget, Remington brass, in my .308 caliber 700 Remington VTR. I can't get a tight group with it. I can with other rifles I own, just not with this one, YET. I'm just going down the list and doing everything I can to make it happen. Joe </div></div>

You may have to work up a different load for this particular rifle. There are all kinds of things that can impact the accuracy of a particular load in a particular rifle. I normally start in the middle of the load range, increase it a little at a time until it either tightens up or loosens up. I have had great luck with the 168s at 100 yards, so I doubt you are experiencing a bullet problem, probably just not the perfect load for that rifle.

NSO123, I have worked up a few, but your right, I need to do more. This is the best load I made so far, but there's a lot more testing to be done. That's kind of the reason for this post. I have not loaded 175's or flat based bullets yet. I kind of stuck with 168's just changing the powders and grains.

Have you tried changing the seating depth? My 700's factory chamber has tons of free bore. I can barely get sub MOA groups with sierra 168s seated at 2.800, when I seat them out to 2.885, I get consistent 1/2-5/8 MOA at 100yds. Amax 168s get seated to about 2.920 or more.
I use 42gr of RL-15 or Varget, 44.5gr of BL-C2 works amazingly well too if you are using a progressive.

Novice31, I have not tryed to change the depth, but I will. The gun is apart right now because of me trying to bed the action so now is the time to start trying different loads with my already loaded stuff. Thanks, Joe