• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

AMMO/ BULLET SELECTION HELP

GONIF

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2011
PHOENIX ,AZ
I know most here will think this rifle and scope is on the low end ,but my current budget is lower then I would like these days. I recently bought a CMMG .308 custom rifle with a 1 in 10 twist 18 inch fluted Wasp treated barrel and mounted a Weaver tactical FFP EDMR 3-15x50 scope on it . I have had very good groups (5 shot groups best .59 to .76 moa)with 168 grain Frdral Gold Medal match smk ammo at 100 yards .I have been told 175 grain is better for a 1-10 barrel and also that the 175 grain is better at longer distance. I was thrilled with my groups so far but wonder if ther is an advantage to going to the 175 over the 168. I was thinking about trying the South west amunition with the AMax in 168 or 175 . I would like to find one weight bullet and stick with it. I also was thinking about hand loading ( I have access to the reloading equptment ,and handload 10mm pistol ammo a lot),but the cost is only .17 a round less. any gas gun shooters have any imput on what works best in a 1-10 gas gun ?

Re: AMMO/ BULLET SELECTION HELP

With the shorter barrel even though you have the faster twist, I would stick the 168's if they are working, but just try them out and see which works better. As far as handloading I would and personally prefer handloads to factory as there can be a lot more options.

I guess I'll try hand loading some rounds on my fried Rob's hand loading equiptment and see what happens . I'll buy some 168 grain SMK's and some 168 grain Amax's and a can of Varget and see what the rifle likes best. As a 60 year old that just burns some nitrocellulose a couple times a week for recfreation it won't matter much how tight the groups are in the long run any way .

For a shorter barreled gas gun to get the most range out of it the 175 class bullets seem to work the best. 168's don't have the best BC's and 155's don't get the velocity they need to perform well. Anything heavier than 175's you run into mag length issues.

I'd stick with the 175SMK or 178AMAX. I like them both but prefer the AMAX because it also works great for game unlike the SMK's.

190 SMK from shorter barreled gas gun is hard to beat for LR performance.

I'm seeing 2525 fps from 20" AR. When you use Litz BC in JBM for actual velocity you can get from an AR, 190 drops another 2" vs. 155 but is 8" inside for drift.
Knocking down reactive steel target? 190s hit 28% harder then the 155s.

Thanks for the imput.I a'm learning a lot about this on this sight,you guys are a great help . Your never too old to learn something new.
grin.gif

I've shot thousands upon thousand of 168s through M14/M1A w/ 1:10 barrels. They worked great to 600, at 1000 I went to the 175s.

I never found an advantage using 175s over the 168s at 200,300, & 600 yards.