ammo storage cabinet ideas.

While they state 400 lbs for each shelf, you may need to reinforce them. You can add a 1/2"x1/2" angle iron across each front to keep the from buckling in the middle. The HD one may be a better option as the shelves are narrower.

Would you consider building some storage cabinets ? For not too much money, you can get some 2 by 4s, plywood and hardware. Over the years built some for myself and some friends, with and without doors. When building you can size the storage to the space you have available. The weight capacity of the units I've built is amazing, you can store a lot of ammo in a smaller space. If interested, P M me and I'll help.
Mike

View attachment 6890058View attachment 6890059View attachment 6890060

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Yeah, well I inquired about the military style locker cabinets that I posted in my first post and they got back with me today with a price. For 2 of them it is just over $3500 shopper. ???

Guess I’ll be looking at something else. Lol.

One day, I sure hope and plan to be as rich as ya'll....

Here, I just went and spoke to one of our local commercial Electrical contracting companies. They almost always have used disconnect boxes "in the back". And even more often'er, they'll sell one/some to you for a good deal.

Especially if you find a 'similar-minded' electrician whom also appreciates the shooting sports. And responsibility.

Splurge and buy a spray-bomb or two, and get all Michealangeloically creative.

Now, a whole other topic to think about and continue on in either this thread or (probably gooder) in another thread, is:

Fire.

Enclosed metal cabinets are somewhat of an issue when it comes to storing combustibles in a (God Forbid) house fire situation. I'm not going to get into the local limitations on private powder possession and storage, but the "more secure" you are from burglary (bastard-assholes) the more lethal you can be to your local brigade.

Just something to keep in mind, that most don't think of.

Reactions: Mike 556
One day, I sure hope and plan to be as rich as ya'll....

Here, I just went and spoke to one of our local commercial Electrical contracting companies. They almost always have used disconnect boxes "in the back". And even more often'er, they'll sell one/some to you for a good deal.

Especially if you find a 'similar-minded' electrician whom also appreciates the shooting sports. And responsibility.

Splurge and buy a spray-bomb or two, and get all Michealangeloically creative.

Now, a whole other topic to think about and continue on in either this thread or (probably gooder) in another thread, is:

Fire.

Enclosed metal cabinets are somewhat of an issue when it comes to storing combustibles in a (God Forbid) house fire situation. I'm not going to get into the local limitations on private powder possession and storage, but the "more secure" you are from burglary (bastard-assholes) the more lethal you can be to your local brigade.

Just something to keep in mind, that most don't think of.

True a safe is not a place for powder me thinks. This has holes on the sides and is barely a security cabinet. Just a big sheetmetal box with shelves and a shit ton of akro bins that I can use to rotate sorted brass around in.

Ill get some interior pics. My daughter had a blast installing the bins.

Thankfully its a down stairs install.

I use counterweighted file cabinets. They lock and the drawers slide out so you can easily access ammo. My bulk loaded handgun rounds sit in ammo cans on top of the cabinet. They are the 3 drawer wide kind. Got them for free when my company changed furniture

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I got a full size two door flammables cabinet from a company I used to work for.

They wanted to get rid of it so I said "I'll take it".

In the more industrialized parts of the world, deals like that happen occasionally.

It won't stop a fire that starts inside the cabinet but it might keep the contents from burning up in the event of a fire outside it.

I use it mostly for powders and have the bulk of my ammo stored various places in cans.

I think the cement would crack underneath it if I tried to pile all of my ammo in it.

Last edited:
While the idea/concept of those 'bin-fronts' is unique and effective, I must say for the price of EACH there must be some Rolex internals built into them somewhere.

Maybe there's an RFID implanted in there somewhere for the satellite tracking to aid in the laser aiming for both location AND destination coordinates WITH automatic inventory reporting. All of this coincides with the BlueTooth communicaiton linkage for syncronizing with your smartphone to let you know when it's full.

While the idea/concept of those 'bin-fronts' is unique and effective, I must say for the price of EACH there must be some Rolex internals built into them somewhere.

Maybe there's an RFID implanted in there somewhere for the satellite tracking to aid in the laser aiming for both location AND destination coordinates WITH automatic inventory reporting. All of this coincides with the BlueTooth communicaiton linkage for syncronizing with your smartphone to let you know when it's full.

No kidding.

Im not one to shit on a guy making a buck and as I dont think these are generally bought in bulk, more singular or at most a six pack in a lifetime his price reflects their small production nature......

but hire a high schooler at $50 a day. Have him feed sheetmetal into a press one week. Than the next two weeks have him bend them. Lay him off week four.

all thats probably needed to supply the world with these.

Ive been doing that with .223 becuase I have that shit taking over my home like Star Trek tribbles.

Empty 10 pound Jasmine Rice storage bags are exceedingly strong and hold a shit ton of brass, perfectly sized for those big blue Akros.

Made some changes.

Company called Simplastics stocks some wider Akro style bins. Akro used to make them but I was told they dont any longer.

P6287988.JPG

The longer bins are nice for longer items. Moved all my gun parts out of an ammo can under my bench to the cabinet. The empty ammo can than got filled with ammo and stuffed into the cabinet.

P6287989.JPG

Wider boxes allowed for bigger quantities of sorted brass.

P6287990.JPG

Got the reloading tools moved into the cabinet to. More cleaning off the workbench.

P6287991.JPG

Those shelves are groaning with weight but I dont see any distortion. I did have to shim the doors with some different size nylon washers though.

P6287992.JPG

added a cheap LED light also..

I have a shit ton of the small bins left over now if anyone is looking. Have to check pricing but it probably would have worked in my favor to order an empty cabinet than supply it with akro bins.

I would recommend the 7.5 inch bins on the door. The 5 inch ones are really too small but consider how close you are going to bring shit to the edge of the shelf. If I had cans right to the edge of the shelf the 7.5 inch boxes would not fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkside-Six
I use one of these from Ikea. My shelves are all full of loaded ammo cans. The heavy mesh doors have a latch with a provision for a padlock. It just so happens that my Wife Celia is bringing a second one home today from her trip to Phoenix/Tempe these past few days.

Greg

ikea-ps-storage-unit__0471967_PE613787_S4.JPG

Last edited:
Made some changes.

Company called Simplastics stocks some wider Akro style bins. Akro used to make them but I was told they dont any longer.

View attachment 6917061

The longer bins are nice for longer items. Moved all my gun parts out of an ammo can under my bench to the cabinet. The empty ammo can than got filled with ammo and stuffed into the cabinet.

View attachment 6917062

Wider boxes allowed for bigger quantities of sorted brass.

View attachment 6917063

Got the reloading tools moved into the cabinet to. More cleaning off the workbench.

View attachment 6917064

Those shelves are groaning with weight but I dont see any distortion. I did have to shim the doors with some different size nylon washers though.

View attachment 6917065

added a cheap LED light also..

I have a shit ton of the small bins left over now if anyone is looking. Have to check pricing but it probably would have worked in my favor to order an empty cabinet than supply it with akro bins.

I would recommend the 7.5 inch bins on the door. The 5 inch ones are really too small but consider how close you are going to bring shit to the edge of the shelf. If I had cans right to the edge of the shelf the 7.5 inch boxes would not fit.
that is looking really good! i'm glad you did this, give me a better picture of what it would look like and all. this is the way i'm leaning

Where I work we just upgraded our tool room and got some of the heavy-duty steed cabinets with the plastic bins inside and on the inner doors. Using them for fastener storage - nuts, bolts, washers - etc. The only drawback I have seen is that if the doors are closed a little too forcefully, the contents of the bins in the doors get launched into the interior of the cabinet. The metal bin fronts would help, but be expensive. Most have learned to close gently, but as we all know, the learning curve is different for some folks...….

Hon office supply cabinets are strong and inexpensive when bought used.
I have two in my garage.
One 72"×30" for chemical storage. 3 shelves plus the bottom. $20 through craigslist.
The other is 72"×36" for ammo. 5 shelves plus bottom. $100 IIRC.

I still need to paint the smaller one so it matches the big one.