• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Another Adjustable Cheek Piece

SingleShot85

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2004
Native Texican (SA)
spanishgourd.com
Well I convinced my Dad to FIX his Savage .22Mag........

So he ditched the crap ass plastic stock and bought a Boyds

Next, time to fix proper eye alignment.

We changed the stock insert from a hex head nut to some kind of coupling found a welding shop, it already had a set screw in it...

Sorry but I don't have step by step like I did on my CZ but here is the finished product.

savagestock.jpg

savagestock2.jpg

for comparison, here is mine
IMG_0167.jpg

I like the materials we used on his better but that's the way it goes as we do more I'm sure we will refine the system even more.

Re: Another Adjustable Cheek Piece

I feel that yours looks cleaner with the "locking screws" located lower down on the stock. Good work either way. Quick question though: Does this method hold its zero well?

Thanks,
-Dylan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terror!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I feel that yours looks cleaner with the "locking screws" located lower down on the stock. Good work either way. Quick question though: Does this method hold its zero well?

Thanks,
-Dylan </div></div>

I like the set screwes further down as well, but the old man had to have his way...... If by zero you mean, do the set screws hold the cheek piece solid with out moving or wiggling YES.

That's exactly what I meant. Good to know, i've looked through the tutorial on how to do this several times over and it's nice to read of others having success with it as well. Looks like I know how i'm going to be doing my stocks in the future!
grin.gif

Those both look good. Im going to search for the post that details how it was done.

I found This

I just don't have sufficient tools to do this... Looks like it would work great for anyone that does though.

Sit Norm, you big chicken, wish I'd have done the same but what the hell. A few buddies of mine want me to do their rim fires and some long guns so I think I review how we did dad's and mine to come up with the best out come.

If there's one thing I hate worse than a bad trigger its bad cheek weld, I can deal with pretty much any thing else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 725franky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those both look good. Im going to search for the post that details how it was done.

I found This

I just don't have sufficient tools to do this... Looks like it would work great for anyone that does though. </div></div>

I like the way this one was done, except I prefer to drill the holes for the rods first, yes you will have exposed holes in the bottom of the stock, or you can make plugs(simple) but it insures true alignment w/o a ton of time spent on setting surfaces true twice!

I tried to search for the post with pic from your CZ but I couldn't find it. Do you have a link from when you took the pics of how you did the CZ?

The one thing I don't have is a scroll saw or band saw... I do have a coping saw but I don't know if I could keep the cuts straight enough.

Pre-drilling the holes does sound like a better idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sit Norm, you big chicken, wish I'd have done the same but what the hell. A few buddies of mine want me to do their rim fires and some long guns so I think I review how we did dad's and mine to come up with the best out come.
</div></div>
Haha Yeah, I'm a bit of a chicken. I did the same thing (practicing on an old stock) a few years back while trying to learn how to checker. Glad I did too... That first stock looked like hell. Enough so that I almost sold off my checkering tools. I learned back then that sometimes when I do things that they don't always quite end up like I had envisioned.

This 10/22 stock that I am practicing on is really getting the guinea-pig treatment. I'm currently building up the grip in hopes of ending up with a more vertical "prone" style grip. Once this is done I'm moving on to the buttstock and the adjustable cheek piece.