Any mountain bikers out there 2.0

Anyone see the course layout for the Crans-Montana, Switzerland XC race this weekend? Looks like they hired some Enduro boys to engineer a few sections of the track. I don't really follow XC racing, but I'll keep an eye on this one as it's pushing the boundry pretty hard.....Love it!!!
My guess is there will be a pretty good pile up at some point. Dropper post anyone?? ;)

Anyone see the course layout for the Crans-Montana, Switzerland XC race this weekend? Looks like they hired some Enduro boys to engineer a few sections of the track. I don't really follow XC racing, but I'll keep an eye on this one as it's pushing the boundry pretty hard.....Love it!!!
My guess is there will be a pretty good pile up at some point. Dropper post anyone?? ;)

That's gnarly lookin'. Hell, I may start watching XC racing again.

1000006558.jpg

My friend and I got back from vacation yesterday. We had a great time riding and no injuries.

Rode in Fruita CO at the 18 road trails area for 3 hours. Those are super fun and fast flow trails with banked curves galore. Wish I could of spent more time trying the other trails. Definitely the funnest place for my style of riding I've been to.

Rode in Montrose CO for a 2 hours near Vulture Gulch. We were wondering how this group of riders caught up to us and it turned out they were all EMTB riders about a decade younger. We kept up with them until my friend chickened out on a steep and rocky decent so we headed back to the truck.

Then in the WY Greys River area for three rides at 2-3 hours each. Often dirt roads that dead ended because the trails have a bunch of vegetation grown over into the trails.

Which all amounted to about 75 miles. I feel in better shape than I have in years and actually never got winded or got sore which isn't too bad for a 63 year old.

I didn't take photos of Fruita because its not a pretty place where one rides however the photo of the sunset was at the Colorado River in town.

But the photo of us was at Vulture Gulch.

The others in the Greys River area.

Might go to Purgatory bike park next week if the weather holds?? My timing is a bit off due to monsoons starting soon.
20240629_105709.jpg
20240627_105916.jpg
20240622_203559.jpg

20240629_102413.jpg

Last edited:
My friend and I got back from vacation yesterday. We had a great time riding and no injuries.

Rode in Fruita CO for 3 hours. Those are super fun and fast flow trails with banked curves galore. Wish I could of spent more time trying the other trails. Definitely the funnest place for my style of riding I've been to.

Rode in Montrose CO for a 2 hours near Vulture Gulch. We were wondering how this group of riders caught up to us and it turned out they were all EMTB riders about a decade younger. We kept up with them until my friend chickened out on a steep and rocky decent so we headed back to the truck.

Then in the WY Greys River area for three rides at 2-3 hours each. Often dirt roads that dead ended because the trails have a bunch of vegetation grown over into the trails.

Which all amounted to about 75 miles. I feel in better shape than I have in years and actually never got winded or got sore which isn't too bad for a 63 year old.

I didn't take photos of Fruita because its not a pretty place where one rides however the photo of the sunset was at the Colorado River in town.

But the photo of us was at Vulture Gulch.

The others in the Greys River area.

Might go to Purgatory bike park next week if the weather holds?? My timing is a bit off due to monsoons starting soon.
View attachment 8452541View attachment 8452549View attachment 8452552

View attachment 8452539
I assume you were riding outside Fruita on the 18 Road trails. Right in my back yard as I live about 20 minutes away. Looks like you guys had a blast!!

I assume you were riding outside Fruita on the 18 Road trails. Right in my back yard as I live about 20 minutes away. Looks like you guys had a blast!!
Yes that is correct. I didn't realize you lived there. I'd like to come back out this fall. Sure would be cool to do some riding with you if it works out?!

My friend is beginner so he slows me down a bit but it'd be neat to ride with a more experienced rider that could teach me some things and show me the favorite trails.

Reactions: Trophy Case
Very cool, I am looking forward to seeing what all NWA has to offer. I hope we like it there...

Yesterday my wife was planning to climb in New Hampshire and I was going to ride trail out there but after a series of storms I knew it would be a muddy mess. I decided to just ride the MTB out there and meet her. It was a pretty decent ride with most all of the elevation gain in the last 20-25%. I took it easy all day, and just kept the power down and my HR in the Z2 area as best as I could. Other than my bibs bunching up it was an easy ride. I should have trashed these bibs last winter🤦🏻‍♂️
1000006574.png
1000006571.jpg

elevation profile:
1000006575.png

Attachments

• 1000006575.png
    1000006575.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 15
Very cool, I am looking forward to seeing what all NWA has to offer. I hope we like it there...

Yesterday my wife was planning to climb in New Hampshire and I was going to ride trail out there but after a series of storms I knew it would be a muddy mess. I decided to just ride the MTB out there and meet her. It was a pretty decent ride with most all of the elevation gain in the last 20-25%. I took it easy all day, and just kept the power down and my HR in the Z2 area as best as I could. Other than my bibs bunching up it was an easy ride. I should have trashed these bibs last winter🤦🏻‍♂️
View attachment 8454771View attachment 8454772
elevation profile:
View attachment 8454774
Nice. We're going to make you ride in first gear to keep up. I'll get a short hour ride in at Northwoods on my way back to Texas today.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin

View attachment 8454771View attachment 8454772
elevation profile:
View attachment 8454774
That is an incredible day on the bike usually reserved for roadies at that distance!! I see the app shows "PR" for longest ride as well....nice work! WOW

That is an incredible day on the bike usually reserved for roadies at that distance!! I see the app shows "PR" for longest ride as well....nice work! WOW
Thank you, I'm not sure about that PR for the longest ride I have done many more longer and some I am sure were on Strava. They may have been on an older account, I occasionally get so frustrated with social media that I delete all of my accounts then after a while I'll open another one for one reason or another.🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
Northwoods is great fun, I try to ride there whenever I can. I have raced the Southern Enduro Tour stop here a few times. I think this was a progressive trail design build here. The trails are a bit wider and not exactly rough cut singletrack. There are some narrower more challenging trails on the side opposite of the lake. The trails are all weather, they got a couple inches of rain in the morning and I got there at 3 and got a short ride in since I still had six hours of driving ahead of me.

1000001038.png

The weather looked good in the forecast for Purgatory bike park so I took off at 4:30AM on Sunday and arrived about 7 hours later, early enough to get 5 runs in. I hadn't been to a bike park before so it was one fantastic, exciting, and interesting experience for me.

The green runs got a little unchallenging in two runs so I went to the blue runs then stayed on them for Monday as well. I found the Divinity trail to be the one I preferred. By the end of the 2nd day I could clear the smaller jumps but never could get to the downramp on the larger jumps, and by larger I mean 20-25 feet, but I would make it 3/4 the way. That was a bit scary for this old guy. I didn't wreck so all's well that ends well.

Once again this experience tops my list of "fun on a bike"! Gonna try to get back there in a month or so and want to plan to go to other bike parks next year.

A bit tired but I'm surprised my body held up for the hard charges downhill for two days. All the riding last week helped out a lot I think. Pretty soon I'll be outpacing Jbell, lol,:LOL::p JK of course.

20240707_152943.jpg
20240707_152954.jpg
20240707_153003.jpg

And here's the sunrise on Sunday morning as I got near the Four Corners area.
20240707_052442.jpg

How are you guys handling suspension service? Anyone burnishing fork bushings?

I usually do a fork lower refresh once or twice a year, with new seals once a year, depending on how much I'm riding and how often I get caught in the rain. Wife's bike has a 36 on it, and looking over the fox online manuals (which, with the step by step pictures, are actually quite good) it looks like you need two $60 tools to pop the damper and air spring loose just to drain the bath oils...

I'll probably just grab some fox gold oil. I usually use motorex, but I can't seem to find any supergliss 100 readily available in the us and shipping from abroad doubles the cost of a litre.

I usually do a fork lower refresh once or twice a year, with new seals once a year, depending on how much I'm riding and how often I get caught in the rain. Wife's bike has a 36 on it, and looking over the fox online manuals (which, with the step by step pictures, are actually quite good) it looks like you need two $60 tools to pop the damper and air spring loose just to drain the bath oils...

I'll probably just grab some fox gold oil. I usually use motorex, but I can't seem to find any supergliss 100 readily available in the us and shipping from abroad doubles the cost of a litre.
I honestly take it to the LBS where I got the bike and have them do the shock and fork service. I do everything else.

I do all my suspension service, the Fox forks are pretty straight forward including damper service. We have all Manitou forks in the fleet right now. I typically do the lowers 2x a year, fork seals and damper service annually. Fox oil was being made by Maxima which is also quality oil. I don't know if that has changed.

I have never burnished any of the bushings, if the lowers are excessively tight or worn it may warrant sending the lower to the OEM to have the bushings replaced. I crashed pretty hard on one set of the Manitou Mezzer and they just were not right after the crash, I sent them back to Manitou and they replaced the lowers. They said they couldn't get them to stroke correctly either. Since mine were possibly in a batch that had a QC issue with the bushings it was no cost which I got lucky on.

I'll email my Motorex rep and see where they have some. I can order direct from them. I do see envelo.cc has it in stock and it's $37 shipped in the US.

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
I do all my suspension service, the Fox forks are pretty straight forward including damper service. We have all Manitou forks in the fleet right now. I typically do the lowers 2x a year, fork seals and damper service annually. Fox oil was being made by Maxima which is also quality oil. I don't know if that has changed.

I have never burnished any of the bushings, if the lowers are excessively tight or worn it may warrant sending the lower to the OEM to have the bushings replaced. I crashed pretty hard on one set of the Manitou Mezzer and they just were not right after the crash, I sent them back to Manitou and they replaced the lowers. They said they couldn't get them to stroke correctly either. Since mine were possibly in a batch that had a QC issue with the bushings it was no cost which I got lucky on.

I'll email my Motorex rep and see where they have some. I can order direct from them. I do see envelo.cc has it in stock and it's $37 shipped in the US.

I haven't had a fox fork since my 2009 TALAS... at some point they went from blue oil to gold. I still have a handful of the 'pillow packs.'

The service is straightforward, but $120 in tools is silly. If it were my own bike I'd just pop them with a hammer, but standards are higher for certain bikes :ROFLMAO:

I'll have to put an order with envelo later - I might have glanced over it because of the .cc. Good find my man.

Most of the tools are standard tools, gotta have that premium Fox logo on them..... I'll try to find it, there was an aluminum wrench set that was way less expensive and still good quality tools.

That and the Dorado air spring is what drew me to the Manitou its almost all standard tools, including a cassette wrench. The seal driver and one deep 8mm that has the end turned down were the only specialty tools. For the 34mm forks I 3D printed the seal driver it and it has worked great.

Manitou has all there forks 50% off on there website. Makes it hard for me not to get one for my Ebike build.

Its the stupid damper and spring removal tools - instead of hitting the nut with a hammer, screw these on and tap em (per fox).
1721336177072.png

I have everything else- I have a toolbox that has seen many race days. And again, if it were my fork, I'd probably just tap straight on the threads with the trusty titanium hammer (love me some abbey tools).

I saw the dorados went on sale too... I've lusted after one since the early 00s. Still a bit rich for my blood, but it's fun to dream. I had one of the old old reverse arch Blacks, must say, even the first TPC dampers were pretty nice.

Reactions: missed
This video popped up a couple weeks ago. A bit long, but amazing story of guts and grit if you have some time to be entertained. End of the trail is right in my backyard and I typically ride pieces and parts of it 3-4 times a week.

Reactions: steve123
This video popped up a couple weeks ago. A bit long, but amazing story of guts and grit if you have some time to be entertained. End of the trail is right in my backyard and I typically ride pieces and parts of it 3-4 times a week.

Definitely a great story! Hanna is friggin bad ass and tough! Trainerroad has a good interview with her about the two attempts. Her average power (watt per kg) for the ride was crazy!

I have a YT Decoy. Great bike and a really good price.
Do you have the all mountain or the Enduro model? I haven't been able to really figure out what the difference is. Other than YT says the Enduro model is better on the descent. I'm not as concerned with the Ebike being as playful as it's a heavy bitch.

Canyon has good sales right now. I researched EMTB's for months and here's two that won out over the other brands, that is except Orbea.

This is one I considered as a backup bike, it's more gravity oriented.

This one is more of a Enduro. I also considered it.

I found a YT Decoy locally for a decent deal but might sell it next year and get one of these I linked instead.

But if you went for a Orbea Wild you'd be super happy. These handle so well it's crazy. I almost can't believe how well mine does on anything I've tried it. Probably the EXT fork and shock is half of it. Absolutely love mine!!!!!

And quick report. 420 miles on my Wild since I got it this spring. Been riding enough that 17 mile rides are easy now on mid power. I went from 160-ish to now 148 pounds in four months and am feeling great. I'm 63 and I don't think I've been in better shape before.

Also found a 2.5 mile downhill trail locally that opened in May with lots of jumps that are within my ability level called Full Sail, this in the Flagstaff AZ area. Anybody ever in the vicinity should try it. Super pretty here in August since we've gotten some rain the last couple weeks.

Reactions: crackerbrown
Do you have the all mountain or the Enduro model? I haven't been able to really figure out what the difference is. Other than YT says the Enduro model is better on the descent. I'm not as concerned with the Ebike being as playful as it's a heavy bitch.

I’ve got the mx. it’s a mullet, a little more slack and the reach is different.

My wife has the full 29er version in the same frame size. You can definitely feel a difference when you ride them.

The 29er makes you feel like you’re positioned more upright so it climbs a little easier and probably slightly more playful. The mx feels very planted on decents and cornering.

I mean, they are for sure heavier but you can still whip them around a bit.

I’ve got the mx. it’s a mullet, a little more slack and the reach is different.

My wife has the full 29er version in the same frame size. You can definitely feel a difference when you ride them.

The 29er makes you feel like you’re positioned more upright so it climbs a little easier and probably slightly more playful. The mx feels very planted on decents and cornering.

I mean, they are for sure heavier but you can still whip them around a bit.
That almost seems counter intuitive. You think the mullet would be more playful. But I guess being more slack it's really not, but it's ready for the thrashing. I think the Ebike I would rather it be setup for more thrashing and keep a full pedal rig more playful. I bet I would get myself in more potential trouble on the Ebike.

The shoulder has been feeling better after the Ortho did some magic on it. Month or two of strength and conditioning and see where it's really at will determine the training coming up to get back in shape.

The geometry is what makes the difference on the playfulness IMO. I think the mullet really helps being able to rip through some of the tighter turns, etc. for some reason, the mullet bike also feels heavier even though on paper it’s about the same.

I will say that I took my pedal bike out a few weeks ago for the first time in about a year. I realized I am so not in that shape anymore and I could also throw that bike around with ease now.

I am in the market for a new bike. My son is 14 and commandeered mine for his uses and i don't think im getting it back lol. I am not a serious rider, nor do I intend to be one but I was thinking of upping my budget for the simple fact because I feel like it. I was thinking for spending 2500ish for a full suspension model (my previous was a specialized rockhopper expert).

While I was looking around FB market place, a "2017 Pivot Mach 6 Team Edition Full Carbon" popped up. Dude is asking $2800, states msrp was $10,595 and supposedly "New, just been sitting in my garage"... For 7 years 🤔???

Is there a serial number on these that I can call Pivot on Monday and make sure it's not stolen?

If this thing does check out, do carbon frames deteriorate over time?

Why do these have 27.5 wheels, when most everyone else has 29?

My intended use is just light trails, small jumps, a bit of road riding here and there chasing the kids around.

EDIT TO AD:
I intend this to be my last bike purchase so this thing has to last 20+ years as I'm in my mid 40s. Which now that I think about it, difficulty of repairs, replacement parts, does this have to go to a service center or can anyone work on it?

pivot 1.jpg

pivot 2.jpg

pivot 4.jpg

pivot 6.jpg

pivot 8.jpg

pivoy 9.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: crackerbrown
I am in the market for a new bike. My son is 14 and commandeered mine for his uses and i don't think im getting it back lol. I am not a serious rider, nor do I intend to be one but I was thinking of upping my budget for the simple fact because I feel like it. I was thinking for spending 2500ish for a full suspension model (my previous was a specialized rockhopper expert).

While I was looking around FB market place, a "2017 Pivot Mach 6 Team Edition Full Carbon" popped up. Dude is asking $2800, states msrp was $10,595 and supposedly "New, just been sitting in my garage"... For 7 years 🤔???

Is there a serial number on these that I can call Pivot on Monday and make sure it's not stolen?

If this thing does check out, do carbon frames deteriorate over time?

Why do these have 27.5 wheels, when most everyone else has 29?

My intended use is just light trails, small jumps, a bit of road riding here and there chasing the kids around.

EDIT TO AD:
I intend this to be my last bike purchase so this thing has to last 20+ years as I'm in my mid 40s. Which now that I think about it, difficulty of repairs, replacement parts, does this have to go to a service center or can anyone work on it?

View attachment 8481621

View attachment 8481622

View attachment 8481623

View attachment 8481624

View attachment 8481625

View attachment 8481626
Based on the pictures provided, the bake does not look like it has been ridden. There is no wear on the chain ring or cassette, brake discs. No scratches on the wheels. No trail dust in the XX1 derailleur or any other part of the bike.

Perhaps this is "too good to be true". Buyer beware...

That said, Pivot makes a great bike and the components on this one were some of the best at the time.

Carbon frames don't deteriorate over time.

In 2017, 27.5" wheels were still very common. This won't be an issue with how you plan to ride. My 2015 Ibis HD3 has 27.5" wheels and I have no plans to upgrade.

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
My next thought, is 7 year old technology on a 10k bike the same as the technology being used on current 4k bikes due to trickle down effect?
This bike looks to be in really nice shape, hardly ridden and overall I would say the price is fair for this older Mach 1. Heck the carbon wheels are worth 1K alone. Piviot makes a nice bike, I had a 2018 Switchblade and loved it.

You can tell just by the photos that the geometry is a bit dated....things have changed a fair amount in the past 6-8 years. Bikes in this long travel category have become much longer, lower and slack as things have progressed. This may not matter at all depending on how you will be riding it. As Ichi said above this bike had top of the line parts back in the day and any local bike shop worth their salt will have zero problems working on this if needed.

What size is this bike, going to fit you well? Fitment is KEY to a comfortable and enjoyable ride. A 10K bike that doesn't fit well does you no good, believe me I know.

If you are on the fence and thinking about something newer and up to date, I always tell people to go and demo a nice bike at your LBS...typically $60 to $100. Also look for demo events in your area as they are typically free.

Bottom line is you should be able to find something 1-3 years old that is lightly ridden and super nice in your price range if this Pivot Mach 1 is not a good fit.

Good Luck!

Reactions: corey4 and Modoc
yesterday I went mountain biking for the first time at Brundage Mountain. I have a rockhopper that works good for the trails we usually ride, but it’s not the best for these hills. lol.
Rented my teenager a Kona bike from the shop at the hill. He loved it!
Sorry to say that I went down a black diamond trail. lol. Hey, I eat this terrain up on a snowboard, which happens to be much different in winter vs summer. Ended up spraining my wrist. 🤣
Update, actually fractured the base of the 5th metatarsal. Psh. 🧐

now I just got to heal up so I can go again!

My son is in the distance.
IMG_2357.jpeg

Last edited:
I almost got sick how inexpensive that Wild was until I saw the year of it. Careful - that Wild in the add on the main page is a 2022 so I doubt it'll ride as awesome as the new design of the 23 and 24 model.

I don't know much about battery life as far age goes so that is part of the reason I got the 2024 model, plus I was hoping any problems of the 23 model year was rectified by now.

I almost got sick how inexpensive that Wild was until I saw the year of it. Careful - that Wild in the add on the main page is a 2022 so I doubt it'll ride as awesome as the new design of the 23 and 24 model.

I don't know much about battery life as far age goes so that is part of the reason I got the 2024 model, plus I was hoping any problems of the 23 model year was rectified by now.
I don’t know much about ebikes. So, just sharing. I didn’t realize they were that old.

Reactions: steve123