• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Any sub $500 optics that will pass a box test?

Well thank God this thread got back on track.

I think Frank needs to start an application process to become a SH member. And if you check the "Yes" box to ever having bought a .308 due to the availability of ammo in a Shit Hits the Fan Scenario or believe in the impending Zombie Apocolypse, it will redirect you to another site..

I probably shouldn't get into this, but here are some thoughts on tracking vs holding using a sophisticated reticle.

Imagine a drumroll.....

Here is a shocker: both methods work, if you know what you are doing. It is the Indian, not the arrow.

We all have our personal preferences. For example, my personal preference is to not use Horus reticles because they are too busy for me and put a mosquito net over too much of the image. However, as an experiment, I used a Horus reticle exclusively for several months and got along with it alright. I also learned that for me that is not a preferred way of doing things.

By the way, if you want to know how Horus got in with the US military, ask Lowlight. I recall he relayed the story a while back, but I do not want to re-tell it since I do not remember all the details. Best I can recall, it was a result of good marketing and very successful self-promotion.

Here is my advice: if you want to use the reticle exclusively, get a scope with David Tubb's DTR. Once you get used to it and understand it, I think it is a better way to go than Horus.

Personally, I like to have Christmas tree style reticle that are a lot simpler than Horus, because I almost never hold at distances that require more than 5 mrad of holdover. Beyond that, I dial (Tubb's DTR would have been the one exception to that).

For my purposes, a scope with a 5x5 mrad grid in the FFP that you don't see at low mag would have been perfect. That would take care of holdover and wind at distances where I use the reticle for compensating for holdover and wind.

Now, I do not shoot in PRS and make it an effort to stay away from two way ranges, so YMMV.

ILya

Well thank God this thread got back on track.

I think Frank needs to start an application process to become a SH member. And if you check the "Yes" box to ever having bought a .308 due to the availability of ammo in a Shit Hits the Fan Scenario or believe in the impending Zombie Apocolypse, it will redirect you to another site..

Add to that questionnaire:

"Did you recently acquire an Athlon scope to put on your RPR?"

Try Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40. It is not as light as the Leupold and the glass has a different feel than Meopta, but it is easily as good as the MeoPro in terms of image quality. In terms of resolution, it might be a little better. It is however easier to get behind owing to very forgiving eye relief. I think SWFA has the version with the G4 BDC reticle for sale right now for under $600 (which is the reticle I prefer anyway).

I have all three of the Razor HD LH scope and have had them since they came out. The tracking for all three is absolutely spot on, so if you want to spin turrets you can and Kenton makes custom turrets for it.

Sighting in these scopes involves firing two group: fire a group, figure out how much you need to adjust, make the adjustment, fire another group. Which is really how it is supposed to be.

With Leupold, all the newer ones I have seen were good (like the Vortex VX-6HD 3-18x44), but their older designs often need settling after adjustment.

ILya

Thank you Sir. I've been eyeing the Razor HD LH. What are your thoughts on the Trijicon Acupoint 3-9x40? 12.4 oz. I've had the 5-20 on a light weight 300 WM and it held up and tracked perfectly. Glass was surprisingly good. Used prices are in line with the Razor.

Thank you Sir. I've been eyeing the Razor HD LH. What are your thoughts on the Trijicon Acupoint 3-9x40? 12.4 oz. I've had the 5-20 on a light weight 300 WM and it held up and tracked perfectly. Glass was surprisingly good. Used prices are in line with the Razor.

The Accupoint 3-9x40 is a nice little scope when equipped with a post reticle. The mil-dot they use is too coarse for my taste. The optical system is decent, but it is old and showing signs of age (the 5-20x50 is a newer design). Also, eye relief is kinda tight, so I would be careful about putting it on a kicker. Basically, this is where you decide how important that reticle illumination is to you. That's the best feature of that scope. Everything else about it is decidedly mid-pack.

In terms of ease of use and optics, Razor HD LH is a much better scope.

ILya

Ilya mentioned the Vortex 6.5-20X in his links and I concur. I have three on .223 varminters and two other guys I hunt varmints with own three or four more. On an average they have been in use for four years plus. We have the good fortune to have access to some excellent rock chuck hunting where the turrets are adjusted fifty plus times a day. One has gone back to Vortex for not dialing properly. It was determined the scope tracked properly but the rings were probably over torqued. The rings were torqued to factory specs. with no further problems.

These scopes have good glass for the money and reliable mechanicals. They are occasionally on sale at Midway and a couple of other vendors for $329. shipping included. A super value.

Last edited:
I've slowly been increasing the quality of optics I purchase, best being an Athlon Ares, so I'm pretty far from an expert but that Vortex Viper 6.5-20 is a great value. Got one on a 10/22 and it shoots lights out. Just learning to dial and use a ballistic app but for the money, I really like that scope-Nocal911

Funny, I train like I want to be accurate, not to kill people.

p4zz1a6.gif

Back to the subject of the thread and away from the chest puffing.
That's the funniest thing I've read all day.