• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Any success with .308 Mexican Match loads for long range?

Grog11

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2018
Anthem, Arizona
I have a lot of military white box ammo laying around that I’m going to be using in upcoming PRS style matches (168’s 2,550 FPS). I know these things have some pretty marginal performance out past 600/700, so I’m thinking about doing some Mexican match using Berger 185’s ( pulling old 168’s out putting new bullet in). Has anyone here done any of that (even with another kind of replacement bullet) and had any kind of success?

I know working up a hand load is preferred, and I’ll be doing that, but for now, I’m hoping this is a viable option.

I wouldn’t do that, what may be safe for a 168 could end up costing you at the very least a barrel. Remember your head is really close to where that goes bang

Thanks for the info. Well aware of the nuances and hazards of this process. My question is if anyone has had any success with sort of thing for long range. I’m guessing not due to no replies.

Pulled LC 173g bullets dumped powder and then stuffed in a 175gr matchking re-used powder. This worked better but not great. Dumped the powder and threw 42.7g Varget via a Harrel's benchrest powder measure and that worked MUCH better at 1/3 MOA (5 shots) with my AI AW.

Reactions: culater
I should have noted that the LC Match that I pulled was an older version that uses a 173gr FMJ boatail bullet and an unknown ball powder.

I did not the experiment with the newer M118LR load that uses 175gr SMK bullets.

You guys can rest easy now, I’m still alive and worked up a load:

Sierra 155’s (2155)
Winchester brass sized with Lee Collett
47.0 gr Varget
CCI large primers
Overall length 2.220 (base to ogive)
Jump .025
1-10 twist 24.5” barrel
Avg FPS: 2,965

Mexican match for another time...... ?