• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Any thoughts on rangefinder binoculars vs rangefinder for range shooting?

I've been looking at Rangefinders and like so much of this stuff, there's a ton out there. RF binos aren't in my budget, but I do want to get a hold of a decent RF that will work outdoors in the 1k distance range. Since I'll be using it up in the Poconos, being able to handle inclines feels like a must have feature.

For example, I was looking at the Leupold RX-1600i TBR/W as it keeps popping up with positive reviews, but then the negative reviews are REALLY negative. @gr8fuldoug any suggestions?

Sig BDX 3K - generally available <800 bucks.

Pros: good glass / fov, displays elevation and wind holds in glass, up to 800 yards. Ranges large objects out to 2K (haven't tried further) without issue.

Cons: must connect to phone in order to change profiles (loads or rifles). Phone must have navigation turned on. Only gives holdovers out to 800, unless you use with a kestrel.

Thank you everyone that has contributed... I do want to ask my original question - what do people think of range finding binoculars vs rangefinder only for RANGE use - worth the money, useful or rangefinder/spotting scope is a better combo?

Thank you

Thank you everyone that has contributed... I do want to ask my original question - what do people think of range finding binoculars vs rangefinder only for RANGE use - worth the money, useful or rangefinder/spotting scope is a better combo?

Thank you
I apologize, I didn’t mean to hijack the thread. It hit very close to my own question so I jumped in.

Regarding your OP though, I’m not sure if I understand what your getting at as far as “range” use. If you’re talking gun range, wouldn’t they already have the distance to target indicated based on the shooting station?

I’m in no way trying to be argumentative. I’m relatively new back to the long gun scene so maybe I’m just showing my inexperience. LOL

A spotting scope or binos for sure but help me understand where the rangefinder comes in during range use.

(I also got an Athlon scope from @gr8fuldoug and I’m in love with it!!)

I apologize, I didn’t mean to hijack the thread. It hit very close to my own question so I jumped in.

Regarding your OP though, I’m not sure if I understand what your getting at as far as “range” use. If you’re talking gun range, wouldn’t they already have the distance to target indicated based on the shooting station?

I’m in no way trying to be argumentative. I’m relatively new back to the long gun scene so maybe I’m just showing my inexperience. LOL

A spotting scope or binos for sure but help me understand where the rangefinder comes in during range use.

(I also got an Athlon scope from @gr8fuldoug and I’m in love with it!!)
You make a very good point and made me pause for a sec. I live in an area where long ranges are rare (NorCal) and was considering going to BLM or set up impromptu shooting session when I travel where shooting is allowed. In those cases there would be no "marked" distances and I'd pretty much need some way of range-finding. Obviously since I am doing the setup I can use known size target and use scope for distance approximation but using range-finder is easier.

Second use is if range has targets spread across distances/elevations. I assume there would be way to finding the info without rangefinder but may be convenient to use one if available.

As someone who has gone through a few handheld LRF units (a couple of Leicas, Sig, LTI, and a Vortex 4k that I still own) and a Sig 3000 binos. I use my Sig 3000 at matches, so the combination of glass+LRF is invaluable. If I'm just at the range verifying yardage, the Vortex 4K is more than enough for my use, since I'll be spotting my own shots through my scope. I honestly rarely use any of my spotting scopes now. One of my local ranges go out to about 2100 yards with steel all over the place. I'm talking dozens and dozens of targets from 1050 to 2100. Although I have drawn a range card, I still pull out my LRF to verify.

As someone who has gone through a few handheld LRF units (a couple of Leicas, Sig, LTI, and a Vortex 4k that I still own) and a Sig 3000 binos. I use my Sig 3000 at matches, so the combination of glass+LRF is invaluable. If I'm just at the range verifying yardage, the Vortex 4K is more than enough for my use, since I'll be spotting my own shots through my scope. I honestly rarely use any of my spotting scopes now. One of my local ranges go out to about 2100 yards with steel all over the place. I'm talking dozens and dozens of targets from 1050 to 2100. Although I have drawn a range card, I still pull out my LRF to verify.
For my education - how do you use binoculars in match? To get range data, to spot, to observe others?

You make a very good point and made me pause for a sec. I live in an area where long ranges are rare (NorCal) and was considering going to BLM or set up impromptu shooting session when I travel where shooting is allowed. In those cases there would be no "marked" distances and I'd pretty much need some way of range-finding. Obviously since I am doing the setup I can use known size target and use scope for distance approximation but using range-finder is easier.

Second use is if range has targets spread across distances/elevations. I assume there would be way to finding the info without rangefinder but may be convenient to use one if available.
I totally get it and yeah you are absolutely right, a RF (whether binos or not) is exactly what you need. I’m in Florida where we get to shoot pretty much anything we can get our hands on, so I forget about restrictions in other areas.

RF Binos seem to be the best all around answer but damn that price tag up front. I just can’t help but think about getting a nice LRF and the ammo I could get with the difference in price for the average RF Binos.

But I also don’t shoot matches (yet) so my perspective is biased in that way also.

I have used a number of range finders. I have the vortex 4000 and am very happy with it. That being said, eventually I want the range finding binos.

If you are going to drop the cash I’d advise getting rf binos that have onboard ballistics solving. They are spendy but my zeiss victory rf’s are awesome glass and have been very accurate when producing a shooting solution

Thank you for suggestion (I actually bought some Athlon optics from you before). What is your take on those vs Vortex Fury (which I understand you do not carry)?
We have had great feedback on the Athlons as well as the GPO's. I think you'd be very pleased with either.

We did a Just Arrived - HUGE GPO Delivery post earlier today and we are offering the Rangeguide 10x50 Binocular Rangefinder at 20% off if you're agreeable to posting a review after you've used them a while

I totally get it and yeah you are absolutely right, a RF (whether binos or not) is exactly what you need. I’m in Florida where we get to shoot pretty much anything we can get our hands on, so I forget about restrictions in other areas.

RF Binos seem to be the best all around answer but damn that price tag up front. I just can’t help but think about getting a nice LRF and the ammo I could get with the difference in price for the average RF Binos.

But I also don’t shoot matches (yet) so my perspective is biased in that way also.
For purely range-activities - what is advantage of binoculars with integrated rangefinder? Almost feels that one would either spot through rifle scope or through spotter.

If budget allows just get the Leica binoculars. Then worry about a spotter.

If budget is a concern, I'd suggest the Leica monocle rangefinder and a separate set of binoculars. I'm currently running this setup with Swaro pocket binoculars that usually outperform larger binoculars from Vortex and similar. I'm trying to justify the price of a set of Leica RF binoculars to consolidate to one device but I'm also wanting a spotter too.

For purely range-activities - what is advantage of binoculars with integrated rangefinder? Almost feels that one would either spot through rifle scope or through spotter.
I would say that the RF binos would be the best all around answer and they give you the most versatility, but then you're paying for that versatility. You get the magnification of a spotter scope with the functionality of the LRF, but again $$.

Food for thought, if you're not hunting with it, and using it to set targets you may be able to get away with a LRF that has higher reflective range, but maybe not able to pick out a deer at 1200yds.

For my education - how do you use binoculars in match? To get range data, to spot, to observe others?
Yes to all three. I shoot field matches almost exclusively. For the most part I know the range to the target, so I'll use it to verify ranges, but mostly it's to spot for other people in my squad. I'll also use it to watch mirage downrange.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
The only real cons to the modern combo binoculars other than the price is the size/weight compared to the slim monocular rangefinders. I prefer slipping my Leica 1600 into my jacket pocket compared to carrying binoculars around with an already heavy rifle. If you are sitting in your truck or not walking far, I would splurge. A nice pair of binoculars is useful kit.

FWIW I went "looking for open ranges" today and - sure enough - was quickly faced with "how far can I shoot here" question. Was using my regular binoculars for scouting - would have been nice to have something to range with. In all fairness regular rangefinder would have sufficed...

How do you get the discount?
4DC7BA17-90D2-411F-8384-BD599FF99E86.gif

• Haha
Reactions: WDTex