• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Anybody using a barricade pad/skid plate?

Grog11

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2018
Anthem, Arizona
I’ve seen the pigskin barricade pad and the sniper skid plates offered, but not a lot of talk about shooters actually using them. Anyone regularly use those things that would care to comment?

Also, of those who do, is anyone using it on a tubular forend like a Cadex or AR style?

I know these aren’t going to be replacing anyone’s bags, but seem like a good option to keep the bulk down (and relatively cheap). Just wondering.

I've tried the pig skin and didn't like it. You need some that wraps around your stock, since you'll be trying to get as many points of contact on a prop as you can. Take a look at the triad skid plate. It works better for me than the pig skin.

There are a number of shooters everywhere I go that are using them. Mostly the skid plates that I see. I have both the skid plates and a pig skin in use and they work for their purpose in my opinion. I do think that the skid plate from Triad is a better overall product for my use, but I have one rifle where the pig skin is the one that fits and works better. As to tubular forends, these work just as well on them and actually provide more stability on a barricade than a round(ish) forend.

There are some people that say there is no longer a need to use one of these with the advent of all of the gamechanger style bags being used now. I'm not taking mine off anytime soon, as I find there are still situations where a bag will not work, whether that is a small barricade hole or other tight spot where a bag doesn't work or fit.

I have a Triad skid pad on my Fix. Works fantastic for keeping weight and bulk down, while giving me thermal insulation as well as a little barricade benefit. Mine wraps around the entire forend except for the pic rail on top. Perfect for my use.

I’ve also seen the accu-shot silo, which seems pretty cool, but again, not a lot of talk about it, at least online. Anybody used one? Thoughts?

3F140752-0A58-4503-9C19-838558805FE7.jpeg

Been using them since they came out from SO Tech and then HTI. Must be around 10 years now or so. They work well at putting a softer area between the stock and an obstacle. Helps keep bounce down and can help making it more stable for the shot. Before they started making them I used padding duct taped to the front of my stock. You can see it below. The Skid Plates are a more refined way to do it.

LQ3AHUH.jpg

7g2uOu8.jpg

I use the medium sniper skid pad on my KRG X-Ray, perfect fit and in my opinion it or a similar style skid pad, plus a barricade stop is all you need up front.

I’m not a fan of using front bags, they take the fun out of the barricades and you just end up shooting off the same soft pillow surface every time just at a different height.

I like mine, a previous version of Triad’s. Also had a tacky surface which helped the rifle stay locked in to a barricade. Need to get some more velcro for my new chassis to re-use it. Really think its a good product. It will not replace a bag (even a small Rifles Only rear bag), but I like it because its always on the rifle, weighs nothing, and provides a bit more stability on an object. This is more true when using a rounded forearm. Haven’t tried it with flat bottomed forends yet.

Haven’t tried the new version though, looks less soft and sqishy, but I don’t know.

Reactions: Grog11
I like mine, a previous version of Triad’s. Also had a tacky surface which helped the rifle stay locked in to a barricade. Need to get some more velcro for my new chassis to re-use it. Really think its a good product. It will not replace a bag (even a small Rifles Only rear bag), but I like it because its always on the rifle, weighs nothing, and provides a bit more stability on an object. This is more true when using a rounded forearm. Haven’t tried it with flat bottomed forends yet.

Haven’t tried the new version though, looks less soft and sqishy, but I don’t know.

It is a little thinner and therefore not as squishy. We think it is just a grippy though.

Reactions: PBWalsh