• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Help Me Pick Rangefinding Binos (2024/2025)

@Secant I went through this hole escaped about 6 months ago.

I started off with the Vortex Fury's and while I liked that I could have 3 profile's loaded I felt that there was a lot missing for ballistics and glass for the cost of an RF Bino. I didnt feel that I really upgraded from my Viper's. I returned them and turned to the Leica Geovid Pro's.

The Leica's were amazing glass compared to the Vortex but there were a couple things that really bothered me.
  • A good way to mount for a tripod
  • Size and weight
  • 1 profile loading
  • Couldn't find a way to adjust the laser
  • Additional free for AB Elite. (comes with the lower AB software)
  • Button sequence was kind of a pain. Never did figure out how to re-zero the wind once I increased it.
Needless to say, sol these and moved on the Sig Kilo Gen 2's. Now I'm no glass snob, but I can generally tell good glass from bad glass and I couldn't tell a difference between the Leica's and the Gen 2's. I was able to see dragon flies at 100-150 yards with the Sig's, that was good enough for me. I haven't noticed the tint at all except one night when glassing in idaho at dusk. The sun was 90degrees to might right and the last few moments of light I felt like I was getting a tint. That being said it could have been me adjusting with my glasses, or something funky. 19 days in the field and I only experienced it once. Other than the I have been very happy with the glass and lack of tint.
The size is much smaller and as for the ballistics software is comes with AB elite on board. If you want to run a Kestrel it's a matter of swapping the setting from on board to external in the settings. Super easy. As for the onboard, my buddy is not technologically savy bought the Gen 2's after using mine and dropped a bull at 740 yards his first time using them in the field.

Some of the things I noticed, that i really like about the Gen 2's.
  • Can adjust your laser
  • 30 something profiles can be loaded
    • When you range, it also names the profile you ranged with.
  • Multiple duplex's
  • Ease of navigation
  • Size and clarity
  • Manual up and down arrows for wind adjustment
  • Possibility for Calypso wind meter
  • I'm probably forgetting some stuff.
Now the only reason I came across this thread is I have been interested in the Revic. I'm a long distance hunter first, and would like to get into NRL eventually. I've been listening to the LRP podcasts and a lot of what they say just makes sense to me. I'm new to AB as I've been using Hornady 4dof and I need to figure some stuff out about creating my own CDM. I like what REVIC does with their engine and app, but that's me. From my research I did 6 months ago the order is...

1. REVIC
  2. Sig Gen 2
  3. Leica
  4. Vortex
I cant really vouch for the REVIC's but I would have to agree with the rest.

Oh! and to answer a question you asked earlier, the Gen 2's do not need your phone for a calculator. It's on board the glass and VERY fast.

@Secant I went through this hole escaped about 6 months ago.

I started off with the Vortex Fury's and while I liked that I could have 3 profile's loaded I felt that there was a lot missing for ballistics and glass for the cost of an RF Bino. I didnt feel that I really upgraded from my Viper's. I returned them and turned to the Leica Geovid Pro's.

The Leica's were amazing glass compared to the Vortex but there were a couple things that really bothered me.
  • Size and weight
  • 1 profile loading
  • Button sequence was kind of a pain. Never did figure out how to re-zero the wind once I increased it.
Needless to say, sol these and moved on the Sig Kilo Gen 2's. Now I'm no glass snob, but I can generally tell good glass from bad glass and I couldn't tell a difference between the Leica's and the Gen 2's. I was able to see dragon flies at 100-150 yards with the Sig's, that was good enough for me. I haven't noticed the tint at all except one night when glassing in idaho at dusk. The sun was 90degrees to might right and the last few moments of light I felt like I was getting a tint. That being said it could have been me adjusting with my glasses, or something funky. 19 days in the field and I only experienced it once. Other than the I have been very happy with the glass and lack of tint.
The size is much smaller and as for the ballistics software is comes with AB elite on board. If you want to run a Kestrel it's a matter of swapping the setting from on board to external in the settings. Super easy. As for the onboard, my buddy is not technologically savy bought the Gen 2's after using mine and dropped a bull at 740 yards his first time using them in the field.

Some of the things I noticed, that i really like about the Gen 2's.
  • Can adjust your laser
  • 30 something profiles can be loaded
    • When you range, it also names the profile you ranged with.
  • Multiple duplex's
  • Ease of navigation
  • Size and clarity
  • Manual up and down arrows for wind adjustment
  • Possibility for Calypso wind meter
  • I'm probably forgetting some stuff.
Now the only reason I came across this thread is I have been interested in the Revic. I'm a long distance hunter first, and would like to get into NRL eventually. I've been listening to the LRP podcasts and a lot of what they say just makes sense to me. I'm new to AB as I've been using Hornady 4dof and I need to figure some stuff out about creating my own CDM. I like what REVIC does with their engine and app, but that's me. From my research I did 6 months ago the order is...

1. REVIC
  2. Sig Gen 2
  3. Leica
  4. Vortex
I cant really vouch for the REVIC's but I would have to agree with the rest.

Oh! and to answer a question you asked earlier, the Gen 2's do not need your phone for a calculator. It's on board the glass and VERY fast.
Cool! Nice reviews. Very helpful hands-on perspective.

I don’t think the Revic has a very long warranty. Maybe 3 years.

The more I think about it, since I already own a LRF bino (Fury Gen II, non-AB), saving cash now for a smaller (future) Vortex diving board-mounted WMLRF makes more sense for my use.

The current Impact 4000 is such a tall boy I don’t think I could get my rifle with it attached into soft case! I wish it was half the height. More svelte options are absurdly expensive.
1727743545484.jpeg

1727743918012.jpeg

The fellow above also seems to use a really tall diving board.

The way I currently shoot varmints is with a my son spotting on a 15x LRF bino. He calls out where the pdog is and how far. I find it in my scope and shoot.

Where a WMLRF would then shine is for quick subsequent shots of targets closer or further away that I see in the scope after the first shot.

I use my Furys to scan and range while not on the gun as it’s more comfortable.

I know that’s not @Secant ’s use, but just talking out loud.

I don’t really need ballistics or wind holds as I use a dope card on the scope and a wind rose taped to my rotating table. Would be nice, though…

Sorry for the internal monologue lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Secant
what about the use of a handheld RF like the vortex razor?
Going fully down the rabbit hole, I've considered NL Pures + handheld RF. But after switching to bino RF years and years ago, I couldn't go back. Especially for hunting, the workflow is so much more streamlined & efficient for me.

• Size and weight
  • 1 profile loading
I appreciate your thoughts.
  • A good way to mount for a tripod I've been using the RRS cinch since it was originally released, and it works great with my HD-Bs. No issues in/out of bino harness. No slippage or any issues at all.
  • Size and weight: I've used them so long that I don't mind the size/weight, but would gladly take smaller/lighter that perform as well or better.
  • 1 profile loading: Agreed, the single profile loading is retarded.
  • Couldn't find a way to adjust the laser: I'm lucky that my Leica's laser is very close to centered, but I agree that in today's market we should be able to calibrate the reticle to the laser (this is a hit to most BLRF, except Sigs).
  • Additional free for AB Elite. (comes with the lower AB software): I'm fine with paying extra for full AB. I get the gripe, but I'll pay to play. Does this solve the 1 profile issue?
  • Button sequence was kind of a pain. Never did figure out how to re-zero the wind once I increased it. The D-pad on the vectors sounds interesting and sounds like it solves this issue.

Reactions: SD3Gunner
@Chukwithak As someone who tests a crap ton of binos all the time for different reasons... I use this: https://a.co/d/b1omRl4 and it works with nearly everything.

Doc, can you compare the 10k Gen 2 to the Revic at all? I can’t find any comparisons.

I do not have a pair of the Revic's to compare.

Additional free for AB Elite. (comes with the lower AB software): I'm fine with paying extra for full AB. I get the gripe, but I'll pay to play. Does this solve the 1 profile issue?
From what I was able to gather in reading, no it does not solve that issue. But, I chose to switch over to the Sig Gen 2’s before buying elite and testing my self.

I bought and used in the field the Weiser Precision Sparrow. Similar to the RRS clamp but lower profile and weight. It held up surprisingly very well for its size. I will be sticking with it and sent the RRS clamp back.

Reactions: carbonbased