• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing anyone know of good muzzle breaks for factory barr

Re: anyone know of good muzzle breaks for factory barr

Properly fitted, any well thought out muzzle brake will likely serve your needs.

Some are more effective at reducing recoil than others. Keep in mind the really good ones often have more "bark". Directing gasses at a right angle (or close to) of the bore is what a brake does. Some point it back towards the shooter a bit in the effort of trying to counteract some of the recoil generated by the bullet as it travels down the bore. These could be compared to the thrust reversing feature used on commercial jet planes upon landing. These are often considered the loudest. (like the big clam shell brakes on 50's for instance)

Others are merely attempting to vent to the sides so the energy is released someplace else instead of your shoulder.

If you shoot prone you may consider a non radial brake as they usually don't create as much dust signature. If your a bench/bag guy then it probably won't be as critical.

Hope this helps.

C.

Does pointing the holes in the break back towards the shooter actually help reduce more recoil than ninety degrees and are a lot of small holes better than a few bigger holes.

I dunno. Never taken the time to rig up a test stand and go find out.

My "gut" says directing the gasses at a right angle (or slightly acute in relation to the bore) at the highest velocity possible aids in shutting down some of the perceived "kick".

Using that as the theme I'm inclined to lean towards a brake with a number of smaller holes. By no means do I have any data other than my own little suspicions as to if it works or not.

I generally make mine with a number of conservative holes. 4x at +/- 50* and a bank of 5 at 90*. So far everyone has been satisfied with the performance.

The big clam shell brakes tend to run back towards the shooter. I don't have any personal experience with 50's (other than the M-2 machine gun) but from what I've been told it tames them down to behave much like a 12 gauge shooting 3" magnum shells. Couldn't tell you what shooting one is like w/o a brake though.

Here is a short synopsis of what the military has discovered with brakes.

The more angled the ports are to the rear, the more efficient the brake but the greater the overpressure. This is why tanks and arty don't have angled ports, to save the crew's brains.

Increasing the number of baffles (in a non-pepperpot brake) follows the law of diminishing returns. Any more than 2 is a waste with 3 being really the upper limit

Pepperpot style brakes are generally less efficient but also produce less overpressure, and their efficiency is usually good enough. There's some rules for making the best pepperpot brake but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Something like the Badger FTE brake is a good example of a solid brake design for all around use while the Barrett .50 brakes with the angled ports are the best for reducing recoil.
Justin

Brakes are like trucks, they all excel somewhere and fall short somewhere.....just pick one that has the feature you are looking for and rock on.

Muzzle brakes work,but they redirect the noise coming out of the barrel back at you. If you can,add weight to the stock and that will take some of the recoil out of the rifle.If your rifle is a big kicker add a good butt pad. The noise can be unbearable from some of these muzzle brakes.

A pepper pot brake is just one with a bunch of drilled holes in it, like a Vais for example. The holes can be completely radial (all around) so that the brake doesn't require timing, or they can be only at certain positions so you don't have the dust kicked up in your face.
Justin