Anyone mess around with "The load" of 13gr of Red Dot at all?

Basic user

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2013
    I was wanting some reduced recoil loads not only for the wife, but for some lapping bullets for this old mauser, and was wondering if anyone here screwed around with the old 13gr of red dot load for their full size caliber rifles.

Thanks.

@Basic user

I know Ed Harris. You can usually find him on the Cast Bullets forum. He worked for Ruger doing design testing and QC before retiring.

The 13 grains of Red dot or equivalent is intended in larger rifle cases like 30-06. It’s a short range low noise load for use with cast lead projectiles. It works fine out to 50 yards (as far as I’ve used it), with the rainbow trajectory you would expect.

For smaller cases like 30-30, reduce that load to 8-ish grains using cast bullets.

IIRC, Hodgdon also lists some reduced loads using 4895 on their web site.

Don't knock "the load" until you have tried it... Can be surprisingly accurate albeit despite the rainbow trajectory. Titrate the Red Dot charge proportion to case volume, and whatever you do, do not double charge or you can blow up your weapon! I have used it mainly in 300 BLK (3.8-4.0 gr).

I was wanting some reduced recoil loads not only for the wife, but for some lapping bullets for this old mauser, and was wondering if anyone here screwed around with the old 13gr of red dot load for their full size caliber rifles.

Thanks.
    Have used Red Dot for shotgun, subs & other things for awhile in 06, 300wm, 308, and many pistol rds. went as high as 15 w/jacketed in 308 & 06 & higher in 300wm, but prefer cast when using. Works well w/both in .223 also.

Reactions: Basic user