• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Anyone owns Armalite AR-50 Rifle?

kwelhand

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2018
Georgia
Does anyone own Armalite AR-50A1 or Nation Match rifle here?
Thinking about buying one for post virus long-range shooting and wanted to hear from fellow members.
I did research quite a bit but couldn't really find a solid hands-on review from the actual owner.
I'm trying to get one because I've heard that the accuracy is great to compare to other 50BMG in this price range.
Any help would be great.

50 BMG is not a long range caliber. It wins energy on target at distance but there are much better rounds to get you out there.

BTW, I own a 50. It is fun to shoot and I am about to build a silencer for it.

Also, the Barret M99 is very accurate from everything I have seen. I have seen them similarly priced.

Plan on either reloading or buying Hornady match ammunition.From my experience surplus isn’t accurate enough to be fun.

Below is a comparison I did between a couple entry level 50’s I’ve owned. Others can comment better on accuracy as I’ve only taken the rifle out a couple times and mostly just for fun. No matches etc.

I spoke to Armalite and they had me leave a message about some questions I had. A guy actually returned my call from his home at about 7pm because he felt bad he didn’t get a chance to call me during the day.

He provided me with the barrel manufacture that I listed in the comparison etc. Also stated the guys who build surgeon (or used to work for surgeon) were the ones currently building those rifles. He told me the accuracy expectations for match ammo is 8” at 1,000 yards. Also stated if you have any issues they back the product 100%

Really wish I could remember the name of who I spoke with. If your interested call them and ask some technical questions. They transferred me to this guys voicemail and he was more than willing to answer them. Spent about 45 minutes just talking about the rifle and different improvements they were making.

Mine is a AR50A1. I don’t live in an area with a ton of 50 cal space and have been busy with many other gun projects or I’d have a better accuracy report for you. I will say what I did shoot 750 Amax/660 PMC. 750 was well under MOA at 300 yards. 750 shooting better than the 660 but both acceptable

Its a heavy but solid built gun. Action is very smooth and trigger is decent From factory. Which is easily swapped out if you want a better one. I enjoy mine

If your just looking for a long range gun a 300, 338 or 375 variant is a better option in my opinion. The 50 is an awesome round but if you want long range and precision there are better options. For taking out and destroying things etc a 50 fits the bill nicely tho

Thank you guys for your valuable inputs.
I already owned MPA 6.5 Creedmoor & 6.5PRC for precision long-range shooting.
Just sold my MPA 338 Lapua and wanted to get into a big cartridge game.

Yes, I'm planning to reload my own or buy factory ammo suggested above.

I shot 50BMG semi-auto Barrett before and after I squeezed the trigger, I felt like I was just landed on another planet.
I've heard that Armalite is a much softer shooting platform and that's the reason I'm trying to buy it.

Thank you guys for your valuable inputs.
I already owned MPA 6.5 Creedmoor & 6.5PRC for precision long-range shooting.
Just sold my MPA 338 Lapua and wanted to get into a big cartridge game.

Yes, I'm planning to reload my own or buy factory ammo suggested above.

I shot 50BMG semi-auto Barrett before and after I squeezed the trigger, I felt like I was just landed on another planet.
I've heard that Armalite is a much softer shooting platform and that's the reason I'm trying to buy it.

Mine weighs 38 lbs with scope and rings. I did take hunting last year just for fun and it’s a pain in the ass for that haha. But the weight along with that brake does make it very manageable to shoot. I’d say like shooting my RRA in 308. But more of a push that a kick

Yeah, love the 50 power and that push to your shoulder! :)

Mine weighs 38 lbs with scope and rings. I did take hunting last year just for fun and it’s a pain in the ass for that haha. But the weight along with that brake does make it very manageable to shoot. I’d say like shooting my RRA in 308. But more of a push that a kick

I found one at a reasonable price (shown w/ silver case) but the receiver doesn't have A1 marking or quick bolt release tab shown on the second pic.
Is this A1 and current model?

20200404_181400 (1).jpg

Example of A1 (borrowed from GB sale)
pix737528383.jpg

That's what I thought too... not sure why he's insisting it's an A1 model.
Well, need to keep my eyes peeled.
Do you mind saying how much you pay for it?
I saw a new one from a dealer that sold for mid $2500 range about 6 months ago but not sure what's the current rate.

Top is AR50. Bottom is the AR50A1. I have the bottom (A1)

That's what I thought too... not sure why he's insisting it's an A1 model.
Well, need to keep my eyes peeled.
Do you mind saying how much you pay for it?
I saw a new one from a dealer that sold for mid $2500 range about 6 months ago but not sure what's the current rate.

It’s listed in the review I posted above. Scroll to bottom of that.

When I spoke with the guy at Armalite he made it sound like the A1 model had several improvements but also stated that’s when the guys who worked for surgeon etc took over building the rifles. Said the current models they were hoping to see the 8” at 1,000 yards etc

Very informative!
thanks for sharing!

It’s listed in the review I posted above. Scroll to bottom of that.

When I spoke with the guy at Armalite he made it sound like the A1 model had several improvements but also stated that’s when the guys who worked for surgeon etc took over building the rifles. Said the current models they were hoping to see the 8” at 1,000 yards etc

Reactions: hafejd30