• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Anyone tried USA Ammo 175gr BTHP or 168gr Amax?

C4MC

Cash 4 Motorcycles
Minuteman
I'm rather new to long range shooting and I signed up for a training class. Up to this point I have been shooting American eagle 150gr at 100 - 200 yards. The instructor recommended I get some better ammo for the course since we will be shooting at longer ranges. The course will be shot with my factory Rem 700 SPS Varmint .308 24" barrel 1 in 12 twist. I came across USA Ammo's 175gr BTHP which can be purchased for $173.75 for 240 rounds. Seems like a decent deal but I would like some feedback if anyone has tried this ammunition. I can also get 168gr Amax $162.72 for 240 rounds. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Re: Anyone tried USA Ammo 175gr BTHP or 168gr Amax?

In my honest option you would be better off going with Southwest Ammo. They are a hide sponsor and produce outstanding ammo.

I have shot a metric ton of their 175s and have never once been disappointed.

By far the best ammo for the money in the long range game.

Here is my little short story.......

I ordered USA-ammo in Sep 18 and did not get my ammo till Oct 2. the lady and/or costumer service was horrible. The ammo, I ordered 168g hpbt, 168 a max and 175gr. I have a Remington 700 sps aac sd, and I can shoot .75 moa at 100yrd all day long with 168grs. I'm sure it can do better but I just started last year and I am still getting the hang of things. Will I order again from them? maybe, maybe not! I will try someone else first. I hate bad costumer service. Southwest ammo is next on my list and then palmetto. If all else fails, Cabelas has a special on RSBC reloading kit for 289.99 .

thanks

Franc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: racer364</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At $1 a round, for Southwest, I can buy new FGMM. Is one better than the other? </div></div>

In my opinion.. oh yes.

I have had much better numbers and success with SW then any other ammo.

You really cant even call SW "boxed ammo".

Thanks for the comments Franco. I also received a PM from another member that had a bad experience with USA Ammo. Think I will spend a bit more for better products from reliable companies.

I have shot a couple of boxes of the 168 SMK and 1 box of the 175 SMK.

It seemed to shoot just fine in my rifle. Not true match grade, but certainly sub-moa.

FWIW, I have used the american eagle 168 OTM load extensively. It is very good ammo and can usually be had for about 17 a box.
It uses the speer 168 match bullet, a very good bullet.

I used said ammo to complete a basic sniper course with zero issues.

I just shot some 155gr amax from them (about 100rnds over a couple of days) and it would group from 3/4 to 1" for 5 shots. FGMM 168gr shoots 1/2" consistently through the same rifle with comparable ideal conditions (80 degrees, 50% rh, less than 5mph winds), and me doing my part. The usa ammo was just not as consistent as the fgmm or black hills I have shot. I still have about 40 rounds left of the 155amax and may just put it to the side for friends to shoot.

For the money, I would go to palmetto and order some fgmm.
what's the max range you will be shooting in the class? palmetto has 168gr fgmm for 17.99 a box, also.

Ammo to rifles is like ice cream to people. Some like mint chocolate chip, some prefer rocky road. Both my AR-10t and 700 xcr like rocky road (Hornady match 168gr amax) but that doesn't mean yours will. The best thing you can do is get a box of each and hit the range; set up one paper target for each round you're testing, plus one extra to verify your zero and warm up that bore w your american eagle 150gr. From this point on don't touch your windage or elevation. Then reel off a 5 round group for each different ammo into their respective target. Whichever groups tightest is your poison, if the group isn't dead center then make adjustments on your dials, slip your scales and you'll be in business.
Also bear in mind, perfect is the evil twin of good enough. Suppose you're needing to meet a budget, and the ammo that suits that budget shoots a 1" group, while ammo that costs twice as much shoots a 1/2" group. Well that 1" group at 100yds will be a 10" group at 1000yds, so it will still get you on target if you're shooting at a 20x40" target.

Best of luck to you, what school are attending?

I have shot the 175BTHP, 168Amax, and 155 Amax--

It has been a long time coming, like so many others, but my order(s) got screwed up in the Gearhog fiasco as well. I am shooting out of a Franken AR with a Krieger 1:10 20" match bbl, POF lower, DPMS receiver, and Vtac handguard. Optic was Burris 4-16 XTR w/ Mildot.

The gun HATED the 155 Amax (too light, me thinks?) but was shooting well with the 168 Amax and 175 bthp. They had virtually the same POI, and without flyers, they all grouped just under 1 MOA. Strange thing with the 175s, I had flyers low and right about 1"-1.5" away on two separate groupings. Other than the flyers, groups hovered around an inch, with 3 of the five shots in one oblong hole. The 168s had a couple flyers up and right, but not as drastic (maybe 3/4"), and a couple groups with 2 rounds in the same hole. The price is right on the ammo, but I'm going to compare it to the Superformance 168 Amax, and FGMM to see if there are more magical combinations. Shipping time for the USA ammo sucked, but everytime I talked to them, they were friendly. The gun likes the American Eagle M1a 168bthp, and hovers at an inch with M118 special ball as well.

I will also be trying Southwest ammo at some point because of the positive reviews from this site.

Hope this helps, OP.