Anyone use the new fix-it-sticks all-in-one adjustable torque ?

ToddM

Philanthropist
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2008
PA
Just curious if anyone has tried out their new all-in-one driver that does 0-65in/lbs?

Seems like a nice option to have in the field without having to carry a more bulky tool kit and you get more flexibility. For example if you want 18in/lbs for Vortex you can just stop a bit short of 20 in/lb mark.

+/- 10% accuracy vs +/- 6% for the individual units, but it's pretty cheap to use with any driver/bits and just toss into a shooting bag, rifle case etc. Compared to the $250+ you can quickly drop on a full set of fix-it-sticks with 5-6 torque units, or a borka.

Probably won't get too many opinions as they just started shipping late Sept.

I got one recently. I was initially worried that going from turn till it clicks idiot proof limiters to having to watch the line and stop at a specific torque value without any fail safe would annoy me, but it's a lot easier than expected. I actually like it a lot so far for field use and grab it before the limiter kit I still carry (...for now), though I still grab my old style Borka with the holes for specific torque settings at home since it lives by my bench these days. The extra 10 feet to my backpack is too far most days as they all work well.

Though I'll reserve full judgement until I've used it a bit more as I have my concerns it won't be as whether resistant in the field as the torque limiters. Only time will truly tell how well the calibrations hold and how it handles adverse conditions in field conditions like dirt and rain over time.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Ah didn't realize they were quite that new.

I should do a better job of using the kits as I also have a borka (legacy version with the preset torque holes) and I have a fix-it kit. I tend to like the fix-it kit more because it's idiot proof, more flexible fitting in some places, and the pouch is a lot more convenient, and I've been using T bar type tools for decades on bikes. I'll toss either into a field bag to the range, but honestly when I'm at home I'm using a dial torque screwdriver. The dial-torque screwdrivers are just so convenient to use. Either the old calibrated version borka used to sell, or a vortex. I'd probably use the borka or fix-it kit more if either made a bench holder or a pouch that was more accessible. Borka's new tool has a nice fold open maxpedition pouch, but by the time you assemble one of those with the add-ons it has to be close to $300.

As you said I've gotten lazy, digging out the borka assembling it and digging/shaking out all the bits etc. out of the old Tab gear roll up case is annoying. I don't even like it in the field because when you have to dump everything out you get the whole kit dirty/sandy, even the stuff you're not using.

I also think for most gun screws, the 6-10% in/lbs error delta in most of these is irrelevant the bigger issue is it's repeatable. So it would be good to pick one kit and stick with it for that reason.

Reactions: jonnbama
While its REALLY cool and innovative....
I like the individual limiters better. And if I'm already carrying the little pouch with all of the bits and extensions anyway, eliminating a few limiters that I may not use doesnt really bother me.

Yep I thought it would be a "dial your torque" as well until I watched the video and noticed it's like a bar torque wrench so you just keep torquing as the indicator rotates and stop where you want. My guess is it's pretty easy to get the torque you want accurately, but might be harder if you are in the field with a poorly supported rifle, no workbench, etc. The individual slip units seem like the most fool proof as long as you put the right one on.

Probably won't get too many opinions as they just started shipping late Sept.

I got one recently. I was initially worried that going from turn till it clicks idiot proof limiters to having to watch the line and stop at a specific torque value without any fail safe would annoy me, but it's a lot easier than expected. I actually like it a lot so far for field use and grab it before the limiter kit I still carry (...for now), though I still grab my old style Borka with the holes for specific torque settings at home since it lives by my bench these days. The extra 10 feet to my backpack is too far most days as they all work well.

Though I'll reserve full judgement until I've used it a bit more as I have my concerns it won't be as whether resistant in the field as the torque limiters. Only time will truly tell how well the calibrations hold and how it handles adverse conditions in field conditions like dirt and rain over time.
X2

I pre-ordered one and have been using it for several weeks. I like it, and find I use it a lot as it is small and handy. If I am traveling light I just throw it in my pocket just in case. If I am using a larger ruck, tho, I find myself taking along and using my Borka. It is a more complete setup, where I find I am using the Fix-It stick setup as a grab and go kind of kit if that makes any sense. YMMV.
7B8FC748-C233-4C68-A231-A06AD9345F92.jpeg

Borka on the left, FixIt Stick on the right.
2A343BD1-317E-4B3F-9CED-67B4D3EF2C55.jpeg
Open kit with my ZT0350TS for scale. It is very compact.

I have that new Fix IT Stick tool pouch with the 0-65 in/lbs torque wrench. That little kit is my new favorite tool for mounting scopes etc. Love it! It's like an old fashion beam torque wrench, it does not slip or click when you reach desired torque.

Reactions: CavReconScout
I got in on the pre-sale also: so far, I like it. Like jetsurgeon, I've mostly used it to mount small items ( scope screws, rings, etc. ). Like some others, I mainly keep it in my range tool box.

The funniest part, though, was they kept sending me emails asking me to rate it, long before I had actually received it. Now that I've gotten it and had a chance to use it - nothing.:confused:

Reactions: jetsurgeon
i have one. covers a huge range of actions chassis rings mounts etc etc. will likely add a few individual limiters but for now the common sizes are always at matches so this works for some of the less common stuff.

my thought is if im in the shop working im gonna use a real torque wrench so as a field/math use this works very well

Just sharing some info from what I've learned.

Fixitsticks All-in-One, technically speaking, is a derivative of Silca Ti-Torque for bicycle maintenance.

Fixitsticks cleaning rod design concept appears to be heavily "borrowed" from Sain Defence.

Fixitsticks Ruger 10/22 kit concept is directly "borrowed" from Borka Tools. The amazing thing about this particular kit is that 15 inch-lbs. is not even an official Ruger spec, 15 inch-lbs. was suggested by me as a handy all-around torque spec for standard 10/22, see my video of 5 years ago.

Fixitsticks 3/16" and 5/32" ball-end hex 4" long bits look like Borka 4" long bits, and for some reason, are also being sold at more than double the price of Borka Tools long bits.

What is especially intriguing to me is that Sloky torque limiters, co-branded with Fixitsticks, are being sold at nearly double the price of exactly the same design Sloky torque limiters from several other Sloky torque limiters resellers, for example:

Not sure what is the reason for such price difference. May be Fixitsticks can jump in and explain....

Last edited:
Personally I like Borka and fix-it and use both regularly, so I don't have a dog in the fight but I don't see quite the price differences you're talking about. I paid $161 for my fix-it-stick kit with 5 limiters at DVOR (FISTLS11-T kit + 49 inlb), or $32 each if you don't count the other stuff in the kit. Honestly to me the big limit with these type of limiters (ha!) is that they are fixed, what I really like about the new Borka is I can easily set whatever torque I want in small increments in one package. The fix-it-sticks are only handy if they have the exact torque you want. If I wanted a full fix-it-stick kit for all my gun needs I'd need 4/10/15/18/20/25/30/35/40/45/49/55/65/80, and somewhere well over $400. With my kit that only has 5, it only works for some of my gun needs, which was another big reason to add the Borka as a field/range kit, because it offers way more torque range. Fix-it-sticks are a bit quicker to use, and I like that I can put them in any of my 1/4" bit handles/tools, but I also wonder about their accuracy, I know the Borka kits are accurate.

I looked into those products you mentioned and they not really cheaper, certainly no where near half.

Let's take the Silca: First it's $100 (I've seen the fix-it for $43), second it's graduations are MUCH more coarse and I'd never want to use it for gun applications, you only get marks ever 1nm, that's every ~9 in/lbs and they flip flop from side to side meaning unless you go from looking from one side to the other you can only see 18 in/lbs between very closely spaced lines. The Fix-it-stick version there is 10in/lbs between marks but you can easily cut that in half visually if not 1/4's. So getting 2.5-5in/lb increments is easy on the fix-it-stick and basically impossible on the Silca. That said I think they say it's only 10% accurate so I'm not sure cutting it down to 2.5 in/lbs is within their accuracy error anyway. Third you have to use silca's T-ratchet handle as it won't fit into a standard 1/4" socket so you can't use it with any of your tools and it's only available in a full kit. To me the fix-it stick version is about the same price as a kit, but you can get just the unit and use it with any 1/4" tool handle you already have.

Pretty sure Neither Borka or Fix-it-Sticks were the first people to invent a long shank hex bit, they've been around for decades.

I looked onto the Sloky torque limiters, because who wouldn't want the same thing for half the price. Except they're not. The two places I could find selling their sets, which once again are the wrong torque values or gun applications were $200-$300. The $200 kit at amazon only had 6 limiters so that's $34 a limiter, and you can get fix-it-sticks as cheap or cheaper. Worse yet their values are: 5.3, 8.0, 10.6, 12.4, 17.7, and 26.6 In-lb.

The Toepeak Nano you mention is $80 for 3 torque limiters, which admittedly is only about $27 each, but they also are not useful torque numbers for gun use. I will say I like their handle design, esp. for a compact field kit, but it's hardly half the price of the Fix-it-sticks.

I do agree they've probably copied other kits/tools in that they've taken what's worked from previous products and either offered the same or similar things. Not sure how I feel about this, in the cycling industry it's been happening for decades because every company under the sun offers a bike tool kit and they all basically have the same tools.

Don't get me wrong I think lots of shooting stuff is overpriced. We have people paying $800 for a bipod, $200 for a muzzle brake, $500 for a scope mount, $400 for a AR handguard, $1500 for an aluminum chassis with plastic skins. $1800 for a tube and some baffles for a supressor, $1500 for a tripod, $325 for a AL plate with a picatinny rail to track scopes, etc. As long as customers can't wait to line up and to toss their around on hugely overpriced products there are going to be companies happy to oblige them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric1115
I have the OG Bork torque screwdriver. That led to these over engineered drivers and they aren't going to save you. A simple torx and Allen or whatever is all you need in your fucking pack. You guys are humping too much shit, lol.

Reactions: drum13
ToddM, your points are all good.

The only thing I know for sure that Sloky torque limiter can be manufactured and marked (with no price increase) for any torque setting within their torque range capacity, be in Nm, Inch-lbs., for bicycle or gun use, or for use with metal cutting inserts, as originally intended. Does not matter what the application is... So, retail price difference between Topeak (as just one example) and Fixitsticks branded Sloky made torque limiters is quite obvious. "Bicycle" Sloky torque limiter is far less expensive that "gun" ones, while having very similar production cost. Not sure if this a "gun" tax, or the need to feed the dealers by artifically inflating retail price or something else.

I was looking at Sloky stuff myself, as it was a lot cheaper to purchase in quantity than Borka PTLs and because Sloky looked so "cute". I've tested samples received from Sloky 4 years ago. They seemed to work O.K. for relatively small preset torque values, which was obvious right from the start because original Sloky torque limiters were just 1/2" in diameter. "Effective disk brake radius" matters, if you know what I'm talking about... However, original 1/2" diameter ones had serious torque limitations. So Fixitsticks was forced, in order to match real world gun applications, to go with a new, much larger tool format, increasing diameter of the torque limiter nearly 2 times and making it basically equal to the diameter of Borka PTLs, which always were sized coorectly right from the start.

The other thing I never liked about Sloky stuff is the lack of any limiting torque adjustment, by design, to exact torque preset, or ability to be re-calibrated to extend the life of the tool (and for this reason, no certificate of calibration is available). Another obvious design weakness is that Sloky uses "extremely" short length spiral compression spring, very heavily loaded and barely consisting of just 1 coil, which is a serious design negative for spring accuracy and consistency.

On the other hand, Sloky torque limiters are inexpensive to make (and I know that as I got a quote), which is the reason I'm a bit confused how Fixitsticks set up their pricing policy.

In regards to long bits - for long bits in general, you're correct. For specific design of the long bits for use on action screws of Rem700 action/chassis combo, it was Borka Tools design, and Fixitsticks just copied it. I certainly do not like such attitude. And copies are supposed to be less expensive than originals. Instead, and in this case, copy of the original design is twice the price of the original. Puzzled again...

Last edited:
I think that's what also concerns me in the back of my mind, first the accuracy of the torque values of the fix-it and the "drift" over time. Mostly for the smaller values/fasteners. Might make me a horrible person but if I put 53in/lbs on my AI barrel hex instead of 49 I'm not too worried, as long as it's repeatable, but if their 4in/lb is actually 6in/lbs that could damage small set screws etc.

I should also say one of my favorites I use frequently, especially for that 60+ in/lb range is my old Borak adjustable screwdriver version that came with a measured offset. I've always greatly preferred it to the FAT wrench because it started out measured (who knows how accurate it is today) and it's higher range. Also the bits that came with it were great quality. I'd happily buy another one or have mine re-checked for its current offset.

In poking around though there's a lot of interesting little torque designs out there these days many seem to be in cycling. Kind of funny because when I was racing road/mountain bikes in the 90's/00's nobody used them but we also ham fisted a lot of screws/threads off. On the plus side I became good friends with heli-coils. What always concerns me though is how accurate and repeatable these designs really are. I guess that's why people that are serious about accurate torque are having even expensive torque tools calibrated frequently.

These could be cool to have on a bench, but I'd want the handles color coded to the torque, here it seems like they set them up to use a particular torque with a certain size torx head.

I also kind of like this guy: 1-8NM (~10-70in/lbs) with 0.25NM scale resolution and it's larger brother that goes 2-16NM with 0.5nm scale resolution might be nice just to get something that get get over that 65in/lb range so many gun designs stop around.

ToddM,

Giustaforza is basically a micro version of a classic torque wrench. It should be just fine for bicycles.

As an engineer who was involved in production cost estimating, I would say Giustaforza is overpriced
at least 3 times, even for the Italian made one...

Your are correct about small torque presets, like 4 inch-lbs., etc. Small size threads are extremely sensative to overloads. Which is the reason Borka Tools PTL0004H-IP torque limiter (for NF ZeroStop turret screws) is precisely calibrated to 4 inch-lbs. +/- less than 1%, and each one comes with ISO 6789 compliant certificate of calibration, matching calibration to serial number of a particular PTL. This PTL is a good seller by itself and is a component of our recently introduced 2020 expanded BTK-N1 and BCK-JM combo kits. BTW, Borka Tools currently runs a GB on SH for our new kits:

2020 Borka tool kits and combo kits

Several months after we've introduced this precision torque limiter, Fixitsticks, of course, started offering their Sloky torque limiter in 4 inch-lbs. I have no idea how accurate it is, because as usual, this Sloky thing does not have certificate of calibration. It is also more expensive to purchase just by itself and user would need something to drive it. I also fully expect Fixitstick to "borrow" combo kit idea from Borka Tools and start offering their "new and innovative" combo kit, say, Sloky ALL-In-One combined with a couple of Sloky torque limiters.

Last edited:
If I have a scope that has an exterior screw the needs 4"# I'm throwing it in the trash. An overpriced over engineered optic needs an over engineered tool for a down and dirty hunting or combat platform. This whole thread is for a stupid niche market. Like Mug root beer isn't good enough. I need micro-brewed shit from Trader Joe's. It wasn't too long ago you guys were slinging rebadged affordable torque screwdriver sets harping this was all we needed. It's the same snake oil only more expensive, today.

The really stupid part is whining about somebody else being more successful selling shit from an empty paper sack. Personally, I'm not paying for all this engineering. And that is all I got to say about that.

If I have a scope that has an exterior screw the needs 4"# I'm throwing it in the trash. An overpriced over engineered optic needs an over engineered tool for a down and dirty hunting or combat platform. This whole thread is for a stupid niche market. Like Mug root beer isn't good enough. I need micro-brewed shit from Trader Joe's. It wasn't too long ago you guys were slinging rebadged affordable torque screwdriver sets harping this was all we needed. It's the same snake oil only more expensive, today.

The really stupid part is whining about somebody else being more successful selling shit from an empty paper sack. Personally, I'm not paying for all this engineering. And that is all I got to say about that.
Oops, sorry for talking to ToddM in public...

Holy Cow! That is 2009 Borka adjustable torque screwdriver, the only difference is that Borka had "American" adjustment scale from 10 to 80 inch-lbs. This is the one ToddM mentioned... I believe, in 2009-2010 I was selling them for something like $60. My cost was close to $24, including delivery by air and customs fees. Sold like 300 of them. This one from Amazon is more than $100, a bit too much. It also has pretty useless, for gun work, set of bits. Borka bits set was customized for gun fasteners. BTW, I may have a couple of brand new Borka ones left (control samples I usually keep for reference). Anybody wants it for $50? (if I can find these samples in a pile of other tools on the shelf).

Last edited:
Reactions: Aescobar17
Yep the Giustaforza seems like the traditional click wrench, I'd say what is appealing is it's size factor, it's resolution scale, and it's range it's pretty tough to find a small torque wrench that goes from 15-140 in/lbs. Again no idea how accurate it is, or it's drift over time.

Here's a perfect example of where to me the Borka rapidly starts to surpass fix-it, soley in cost. $480 on sale! for 14 fix-it sticks, and you still don't get a 4 or 18. Not to mention as was stated there's no calibration for torque accuracy or expectation of long term consistency. Meanwhile with a $170 Borka you get 10-70 in/lbs in 1in/lbs increments. Fix-it seems viable as long as you only need 3-4 torque settings.

My interest in the low torque say 4-6in/lbs is for internal scope screws like zero stop etc. I can't count the number of scopes I've seen where people have cranked the set screws so hard that the divots they've dug make it basically impossible to fine-tune those settings anymore. They usually don't strip, they just destroy what they are bottoming out against.

Yep the Giustaforza seems like the traditional click wrench, I'd say what is appealing is it's size factor, it's resolution scale, and it's range it's pretty tough to find a small torque wrench that goes from 15-140 in/lbs. Again no idea how accurate it is, or it's drift over time.

Here's a perfect example of where to me the Borka rapidly starts to surpass fix-it, soley in cost. $480 on sale! for 14 fix-it sticks, and you still don't get a 4 or 18. Not to mention as was stated there's no calibration for torque accuracy or expectation of long term consistency. Meanwhile with a $170 Borka you get 10-70 in/lbs in 1in/lbs increments. Fix-it seems viable as long as you only need 3-4 torque settings.

My interest in the low torque say 4-6in/lbs is for internal scope screws like zero stop etc. I can't count the number of scopes I've seen where people have cranked the set screws so hard that the divots they've dug make it basically impossible to fine-tune those settings anymore. They usually don't strip, they just destroy what they are bottoming out against.
400 bucks for that kit. Ouch.

This 14 pcs. kit for $480 remiinds me of the 100 bits sets, which I sometimes see being offered here and there. Sure, you have 100 bits in a box and you feel good about it... In reality, you'll be only using 20 - 25 bits out of 100, no matter how and when... So, 3/4 of the money you've spent was a total waste.

Here's some testing done a few years back which includes some companies mentioned.

• Haha
Reactions: DOA and spife7980
Why is it so hard to find what business a "commercial supporter" is associated with?
If you mean kortik (commercial supporter), I'm going out of my way to identify the business.
This info is available not only in my profile, as b6graham mentioned, but I actually post my first name, Boris, and name of the business, Borka Tools, in at least half of my posts as "kortik".

Boris
Borka Tools

If you mean kortik (commercial supporter), I'm going out of my way to identify the business.
This info is available not only in my profile, as b6graham mentioned, but I actually post my first name, Boris, and name of the business, Borka Tools, in at least half of my posts as "kortik".

Boris
Borka Tools

Yes, thank you. I Couldnt find ANY links or references by clicking your name. Still cant.

So many people post links and information to products I dont assume they are representatives.

It's not just you, any time I see "commercial supporter" and try to figure out what company they are its usually a needle in a haystack.

Just my observation

May want to sign all your posts with
Boris
Borka Tools

Last edited:
Yes, thank you. I Couldnt find ANY links or references by clicking your name. Still cant.

So many people post links and information to products I dont assume they are representatives.

It's not just you, any time I see "commercial supporter" and try to figure out what company they are its usually a needle in a haystack.

Just my observation

May want to sign all your posts with
Boris
Borka Tools
might be a good add for the site in general if commecial supports had a line

of course people can modify the words under their name. or use logo as picture which many do

Just got my kit in the other day. Nice small package with the attachments most used and the T handle. I did some very unscientific tests comparing it to the individual limiters and it seems to be right on. All in all a good little package to toss in a pack for use in the field.

IMG_3145.JPG

i have one for my field kit and so far testing it has been good (matching fixed torque sticks).
of course i replaced some of the bits with ones i use that weren't included.
the only thing i would say is the t-handle is a little small for 60 in/lbs

Last edited:
I have used and still have Fix It Stix and original Borka tool. No issues with either BUT didn't like Borkas dealings with Brownells. Years ago Borka asked me what I was paying dealer cost at Brownells and told him. Not even a day or two later and miraculously Brownells RAISED their dealer cost and consumer cost. Perhaps that is the reason why Brownells now shows Borka as discontinued and Fix It Sticks are now available.

I have used and still have Fix It Stix and original Borka tool. No issues with either BUT didn't like Borkas dealings with Brownells. Years ago Borka asked me what I was paying dealer cost at Brownells and told him. Not even a day or two later and miraculously Brownells RAISED their dealer cost and consumer cost. Perhaps that is the reason why Brownells now shows Borka as discontinued and Fix It Sticks are now available.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Contact me by e-mail or phone, I want to hear this Brownells related info from you in person.

BTW, if Brownells shows Borka kit as "discontinued", it was "discontinued by the factory", means Borka could not supply this product because it was discontinued by Borka, not Brownells...
FYI, this kit was discontinued by Borka simply because we run out of stock for kit components, originally purchased at decent prices, and new prices for the same components were too high and detrimental for keeping the kit price at the same level.

See example of "discontinued by the factory":

Boris
Borka Tools
248-798-7621
[email protected]

Last edited:

Fixitsticks should settle for a single name for this tool and provide correct info to its dealers.

"Multi Torque Driver" is a name which was used for the original 2009-2014 Borka torque driver.

Boris
Borka Tools

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01