• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Anyone using the new Hornady Sonic cleaner?

Re: Anyone using the new Horandy Sonic cleaner?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastgixxerlv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here' a 160 watt one.
ebay sonic cleaner </div></div>

The power listed on these types of sonic cleaners is not the sonic energy. It is the power of the heater in the unit. Quite misleading. I have one I bought from Harbor Freight. Works OK but not as good as the stainless steel method. Consider the sonic cleaner good for many other tasks like gun parts and the GF's or wife's jewelery.

"Here' a 160 watt one. ebay sonic cleaner"

That is the Chicago Electric cleaner sold by Harbor Freight Tools. I got mine for something like $38, on sale, as they often are, and with an easily found -20% discount coupon. (Meaning I'll sell them to anyone for only - say $90 dollars?, including shipping, rather than the $100 that slick eBay dealer wants!
wink.gif
)

Yeah, I would go directly to the Harbor Freight store I have locally or order through them when they send me a coupon.

I realize that the sonic cleaners don't clean the brass externally as well as a good tumbling or steel wool, but my concern is how well they clean the inside. I shoot 100 yard benchrest in factory class and am looking for ways to keep my brass uniform for best reloading (yes, already read the stickies) and I figure making sure all the carbon gets cleaned out from the case walls couldn't hurt, right? I may even run them trough a tumbler afterwards or steel wool them to polish the outsides after sonic cleaning the insides.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: guntard007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I would go directly to the Harbor Freight store I have locally or order through them when they send me a coupon.

I realize that the sonic cleaners don't clean the brass externally as well as a good tumbling or steel wool, but my concern is how well they clean the inside. I shoot 100 yard benchrest in factory class and am looking for ways to keep my brass uniform for best reloading (yes, already read the stickies) and I figure making sure all the carbon gets cleaned out from the case walls couldn't hurt, right? I may even run them trough a tumbler afterwards or steel wool them to polish the outsides after sonic cleaning the insides.</div></div>

If you get the solution right (as in the link provided)
mine easily restores the inside of the cases back to factory brass.
I only sonic clean my cases every 4 firings or so, and tumble them EVERY time for polish.
I don't benchrest tho, so don't need to sonic them everytime.
Also, I don't add any case cleaner to the solution, just the vinegar etc.
Case cleaner is hard to find round here, and I get good results without.
2 batches of x25 cases works much better than trying to do 50 in one go,
and it also works brilliantly for cleaning all the baffles out of my moderator.. Shame the tube doesn't fit in.. I actually have to scrub that and get my hands dirty
wink.gif

Re: Anyone using the new Hornady Sonic cleaner?

I use one I bought off of Fleabay. Strangely it looks exactly like the Hornady! Did I say exactly?

I do use the Hornady cleaner, and it makes the brass look new to include the PP. You may have to run your older cases a little longer, but they will come clean in my experience. I had some 5+ fired 30-06 cases and they came out looking clean and shiny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Here' a 160 watt one. ebay sonic cleaner"

That is the Chicago Electric cleaner sold by Harbor Freight Tools. I got mine for something like $38, on sale, as they often are, and with an easily found -20% discount coupon. (Meaning I'll sell them to anyone for only - say $90 dollars?, including shipping, rather than the $100 that slick eBay dealer wants!
wink.gif
)</div></div>

I got taken then! It does work really good though. I still use steel wool on the primer pockets to shine them up.

I was doing some reading on the steel media tumblers, and it sounds like they get the bras "as clean as sonic". But, 4 cylcles in the sonic, total time 32 minutes(?), beats 11 hrs in the tumbler. I guess I can try both Hornady product if I can find some and the homemade ant see which I like better. Now I need to go to Harbor Freight and see if they have one on the shelf. Actually, GUN SHOW IN BIRMINGHAM this weekend. Check there first for a used Hornady and I might even find some Hornady cleaner.

I have an ultrasonic, a bigger one than the Hornady, and its not mothballed as I finally broke down and tried the stainless media/tumbler thing and it beats the ultrasonic hands down. You need 4 hrs or less in the tumbler, probably a lot less if you up the speed on the motor, but I just let mine do its thing and when the brass comes out, its as clean or cleaner than my ultrasonic could clean it and to do that in the ultra I had to run it for as long or longer (at least in total time in the tank as I didnt run it nonstop due to heat, etc) and I had to use chemicals, which I didnt like doing with brass. In the stainless media, its dishwashing soap and lemishine.

So far, everyone that has seen mine in action and the results, have switched....and I make it easy as I bought extra bags of media knowing folks would do so so I either give it away (it its a GOOD friend) or sell it to them at cost (buying in bulk also got my 5 pounds a lot cheaper).

Only reason I havent sold my ultrasonic is that I still use it for other stuff, like glasses, jewelry, etc.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an ultrasonic, a bigger one than the Hornady, and its not mothballed as I finally broke down and tried the stainless media/tumbler thing and it beats the ultrasonic hands down. You need 4 hrs or less in the tumbler, probably a lot less if you up the speed on the motor, but I just let mine do its thing and when the brass comes out, its as clean or cleaner than my ultrasonic could clean it and to do that in the ultra I had to run it for as long or longer (at least in total time in the tank as I didnt run it nonstop due to heat, etc) and I had to use chemicals, which I didnt like doing with brass. In the stainless media, its dishwashing soap and lemishine.

So far, everyone that has seen mine in action and the results, have switched....and I make it easy as I bought extra bags of media knowing folks would do so so I either give it away (it its a GOOD friend) or sell it to them at cost (buying in bulk also got my 5 pounds a lot cheaper).

Only reason I havent sold my ultrasonic is that I still use it for other stuff, like glasses, jewelry, etc.

John
</div></div>

But how much does the stainless steel media cost? How much does a good tumbler cost (ie. Thumlers)?

As of right now, I have no vibratory drum/tumbler/untrasonic cleaner of any kind. Best I can do is hit it with a little scotch brite pad to take of any nasty stuff. All I usually do is do my lube, size and decap and then hit it with a little soapy water to get the lube off and that is it. That isn't good enough for me personally as like I said, I want the brass clean inside to make better loads for competition shooting.

You need 5 pounds of media, which is less than $50 delivered, I think (I bought a lot more and got a better price and sold off some to friends and have some put back)and I have $150 in my tumbler. But once you get the stuff, the only other expense you will ever have is water, dish soap and some lemishine. Most folks think my cleaned brass is brand new brass...I didnt get that with my ultrasonic.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: guntard007</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an ultrasonic, a bigger one than the Hornady, and its not mothballed as I finally broke down and tried the stainless media/tumbler thing and it beats the ultrasonic hands down. You need 4 hrs or less in the tumbler, probably a lot less if you up the speed on the motor, but I just let mine do its thing and when the brass comes out, its as clean or cleaner than my ultrasonic could clean it and to do that in the ultra I had to run it for as long or longer (at least in total time in the tank as I didnt run it nonstop due to heat, etc) and I had to use chemicals, which I didnt like doing with brass. In the stainless media, its dishwashing soap and lemishine.

John
</div></div>

But how much does the stainless steel media cost? How much does a good tumbler cost (ie. Thumlers)?

As of right now, I have no vibratory drum/tumbler/untrasonic cleaner of any kind. Best I can do is hit it with a little scotch brite pad to take of any nasty stuff. All I usually do is do my lube, size and decap and then hit it with a little soapy water to get the lube off and that is it. That isn't good enough for me personally as like I said, I want the brass clean inside to make better loads for competition shooting. </div></div>

I will put it this way. I will stack SS against Ultrasonic any day.

Does SS media make your ammo more accurate? Yeah it makes the cases look more like new but does that really matter? Is this a looks thing or does it make a real difference?

I use ultrasonic because its MUCH faster. I can go from deprimed sized cases to installing primers in under an hour. Cleaned, dried, ready to roll. Can SS media do that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: repiv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does SS media make your ammo more accurate? Yeah it makes the cases look more like new but does that really matter? Is this a looks thing or does it make a real difference?

I use ultrasonic because its MUCH faster. I can go from deprimed sized cases to installing primers in under an hour. Cleaned, dried, ready to roll. Can SS media do that?
</div></div>

I dont clean my brass for accuracy, I clean my brass to protect my dies, make sure my primers go in fully, make sure I have nothing in the case that is going to affect volume and I want a clean case going in my rifle's chamber....and, I like purdy brass. Does it shoot better? Dunno...but I know it doesnt shoot any worse!!

I could probably clean in the stainless and load within the hour, but why bother? If I have that little brass, I need to either get more or plan ahead better.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: repiv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does SS media make your ammo more accurate? Yeah it makes the cases look more like new but does that really matter? Is this a looks thing or does it make a real difference?

</div></div>

I dont clean my brass for accuracy, I clean my brass to protect my dies, make sure my primers go in fully, make sure I have nothing in the case that is going to affect volume and I want a clean case going in my rifle's chamber....and, I like purdy brass. Does it shoot better? Dunno...but I know it doesnt shoot any worse!!

I could probably clean in the stainless and load within the hour, but why bother? If I have that little brass, I need to either get more or plan ahead better.
wink.gif

</div></div>

I have not decided which way I am going to go, as they both clean inside and out. But, having to do the 4 part wash as posted near the top (1 cycle cleaner, one cycle base solution to counter the acid, 2 cylce distilled water) when I can just plug a tumbler into a cord with a shutoff timer and walk away, well, I think the tumbler wins. However, being able to sonic clean in smaller batches also has it adventages when I am doing load developement and only shooting 20-25 rounds per session or after shooting a competition where I shoot maybe 30-35 rounds.

I can see benifits to both. I will probably invest in the ultrasonic first, as it is less up front and see if it can keep up with my need of how many cases I need cleaned as I use them. If I start picking up range brass and start reloading and selling some stuff on the side, a tumbler will definately be purchased. But who knows, that is why I posed the question. I like to hear what you guys think.

I dont know anything about any 4 part wash. It might work better than what I do but I use the Hornady solution and thats mixed with distilled water. Its all I use and its quick. If you go the ultrasonic route try the Hornady solution.

I do wish I could set my timer for 16 min though instead of having to run it 2 times for 8 min each.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: repiv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does SS media make your ammo more accurate? Yeah it makes the cases look more like new but does that really matter? Is this a looks thing or does it make a real difference?

</div></div>

I am running between 500-600 cases at any given time in the loading cycle. While your point is interesting mental gymnastics I have never had this occour so to me it is not a factor. Perhaps if I had 1-200 it might be of concern. That being said, the quick solution would be add more brass to the cycle.

My biggest concern is the working of the cases by tumbling them in SS media. You can't say that doesn't work the cases a little and if done enough possibly cause some hardening of the brass. Some like SS media, some like ultrasonic, some like tumblers with walnut or whatever. What is important is enjoying whichever method you choose and go shoot.

I'm not worried about case hardening when using SS media, I think that's a valid concern, but I can tell you there is no case hardening that I can tell, I use Wilson seaters with a K&M arbor press with force indicator, if the cases were in fact work hardening from using SS media it would show up for on the seating indicator, and it hasn't, US is too much work for too little capacity.

For brass I think SS is the way to go I just havent gotten around to ordering one yet partially because shipping to my little island is ridiculous.

Ultrasonic does have its place though they work wonders on gun parts like ar-15 bolts or the bolt on a surplus mosin I just started playing with it was amazing how much gunk came out of that thing.