AR-10 Handguard Suggestion

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I am looking for a free float handguard for an AR-10 I am building, but after looking at lots of photos, can not find what I like, or can not identify something that looks good.

I do not need a guard that has rails all over it. like something like the JP Rifles arrangement (which I have on my AR15), but think it will look too skinny and small on the AR10). A round vented tube will work, that is rifle length. Weight is not a big deal, this a bench gun. 24" stainless barrel.

Yankee Hill makes something I like but does not appear to fit an AR-10. The old Eagle Arms unit with slots at both ends looks good to, but no longer available from what I can see.

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks.

- Phil

Re: AR-10 Handguard Suggestion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do not need a guard that has rails all over it. like something like the JP Rifles arrangement (which I have on my AR15), but think it will look too skinny and small on the AR10). A round vented tube will work, that is rifle length. </div></div>

The Armalite freefloat handguards will work very well and they have rail kits for them that allow you to mount rails at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock:

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?it...41-94c786b875b1

They are light, but strong and stable enough for mounting accessories, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deisel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the PRI Gen III carbon fiber forend for my DPMS, light and looks good, not cheap though. Here is link http://www.pri-mounts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PRI&Category_Code=308_ACC</div></div>

The PRI handguard is excellent. Very light, and with the versatility of the rails where you want them.

I will be finishing my LR308 build by the end of the week. I went with the JP because I didn't need/want rails nor the weight that comes with them. The semi .308 family of rifle are quite heavy especially with custom barrels on them so you might want to take that into consideration.

Fulton Armory makes a HG nearly identical to the YHM smooth rifle HG for the LR308, dunno if they have one for Armalite.

So, if you can wait till Friday or so, I will post pics of my finished project.

Just a suggestion also. Since you're already tearing down or building up this rifle, might I suggest a JP adjustable gas block even if you not going to run suppressed. It will still help tune the gas system and help reduce blowback in these notoriously over gassed rifles.

HTH,
CM

From what I can find, the Armalite or JP is looking to be the best. Or Yankee Hill if they make something for the AR-10. The JP on my AR15 is surprisingly rigid, given how it is assembled. The Armalite is about $100 less though.

- Phil

i love my Armalite.

the FF tube was about 80,. the short rail was another 20-30,. had the sling swivel already,. so the rest i spent on the bi-pod.

AR10withPREMIER.jpg

I bought Armalite's FF aluminum tube kit and added the top and bottom rails. Painted the tube and nut with hi-temp wrinkle finish paint. Looks real good and provides for a better grip. The kit provides the longer pin for the dust cover, which is required when removing the standard hand guard.

FYI - FF improved accuracy to under 1 MOA for my A4F.