• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

AR-15 Hand Guard Length

Kaveman44

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2019
I have a RRA AR-15 and want to update the hand guard to a ODIN WORKS O2 Lite. Im not sure if I go with the 15.5 or 12.5 inch on my 16 inch barrel. Could you guys post pics of your Ar15's with 16 inch barrels with with either a 12 or 15 inch hand guard? Thanks for the help! JImmy

What are you looking to do with this rail? Are you planning to add lights, a bipod, any other accessories?

In my experience 15" handguards look cool but they're really not anymore functional than a 12-13" rail and depending on how you want to configure the rifle maybe less so. For me, a good, comfortable reach extends out about 12" from the face of the receiver. At about that distance I can mount lights so they'll clear the front BUIS and I'm able to easily reach up and activate the light using the clicky tailcap. If I'm running a bipod, putting it out near the end of a 12-13" rail puts it close enough that I can reach the tension lever or bipod legs to make adjustments without having to really break my position.

If I have a 15" handguard that pushes those accessories out and now I have to overextend in order to activate and/or use them, that reduces efficiency and that's never really a good thing. Likewise, if I'm using a 15" handguard and pull those accessories back so that I can reach them better, what was the point in getting the longer handguard anyway? It's just something to think about.

Reactions: Quintus
RO'ing and shooting 3 gun, I've seen far to many people rest their barrels on ports or props thinking it was their handguard. For that, I'll deal with the extra 1.07oz vs the 12.5".

16" barrel with 15.5" O2 lite handguard

20210308_121818.jpg

16" barrel with 15.5" Ragna

20210308_122007.jpg

15” looks better to me. I have a 22” barrel though so my pic won’t help. AR15 discounts had the best deal when I ordered my 02 lite FYI.

part of me likes it sometime when just a little bit of barrel shows so im leaning towards the 12.5, gonna wait and see if some one shows a pic of a 16 inch barrel and a 12 inch hand guard, but that Odin Works O2 lite looks nice!!!!1

That last two responses speaks to the questions in my reply. In the context of 3 gun where it's unlikely you'll be running lights or many other accessories in the interest of speed, the 15" handguard doesn't really offer any downsides. In terms of aesthetics, on a 16" barrel a 15" handguard looks pretty good but then it goes back to the whole being able to efficiently reach things component of rifle set up.

The top one is a 12.5 or 13" rail and the bottom one is a 15"

1615228771955.png

That last two responses speaks to the questions in my reply. In the context of 3 gun where it's unlikely you'll be running lights or many other accessories in the interest of speed, the 15" handguard doesn't really offer any downsides. In terms of aesthetics, on a 16" barrel a 15" handguard looks pretty good but then it goes back to the whole being able to efficiently reach things component of rifle set up.

The top one is a 12.5 or 13" rail and the bottom one is a 15"

View attachment 7576513
It’s truly on preference and how well you are able to run each set up.

I’ve used a 12 quite a bit and switched to 15, because at 6’6” my wingspan made the 12 feel too close and crowded. Now everything is comfortably located.

Adjustable gas blocks will likely become less accessible, if that is relevant to your application.

I'm 5'8" with average length arms and feel that 12-13" is the sweet spot for a 14.5"-16" barrel. Anything beyond that is personal preference.

Below is a 14.5" barrel (9mm) with ALG 12" rail, and an 18" barrel (6.5G) with 13" ALG rail.

Attachments

• IMG_20200517_103933.jpg
    IMG_20200517_103933.jpg
    834.8 KB · Views: 2,841
  • Wow
Reactions: wade2big
RO'ing and shooting 3 gun, I've seen far to many people rest their barrels on ports or props thinking it was their handguard.
Same. Seen it more times than I can count. To be fair, I've seen it plenty where it's the brake resting on the prop, so if you suck you'll find a way to do it regardless of handguard length.

What lower/magwell is that BTW?

• Haha
Reactions: RTV
Go with the 15, UNLESS you are running a reflex can. With a propper c grip you are going to be far out there anyway.

Also , skip the odinworks rail. Its a terrible mounting system.

G RAIL ALL DAY EVERYDAY.

Same. Seen it more times than I can count. To be fair, I've seen it plenty where it's the brake resting on the prop, so if you suck you'll find a way to do it regardless of handguard length.

What lower/magwell is that BTW?
Lancer lower. It's the one with the built in/swappable magwell. Top pic is their "tactical", bottom is "competition".

I have a RRA AR-15 and want to update the hand guard to a ODIN WORKS O2 Lite. Im not sure if I go with the 15.5 or 12.5 inch on my 16 inch barrel. Could you guys post pics of your Ar15's with 16 inch barrels with with either a 12 or 15 inch hand guard? Thanks for the help! JImmy

Bottom gun is 16 inch 556 with a rail measured at 9.5.

Next up 223 wylde is a 16 inch gun with a 12 inch rail.

AR9 up top is a 15 inch rail.

If you run a bipod, getting it out closer to the muzzle will get you more stability and better groups. Running a light closer to the muzzle than my bottom gun will give you less of a shadow.

Longer hand guard will give you more sight radius and mounting space, but I fit BUIS, optic, light, sling mount and VFG on my shorty without too much of a problem.

Top AR’s hand guard stops right at muzzle device crush washer.

With quad rail system like on the bottom you have plenty more options without worrying about screws hitting the barrel or gas block. Top two are Mlok requiring planning the location of things so as to avoid the screws interfering with the barrel or gas block as they flex. So with Mlok I’d say longer is definitely better to give more options to mount everything without barrel or gas block interference. Longest you can comfortably reach.

On the middle gun with the 12 inch guard I had to give mounting position some real thought and experiment to get everything I wanted on it with no interference and also get my support hand where I wanted it. Had to search a bit to figure out a bipod mount system that took up the right amount of space to let me fit the mount in front of the hand stop towards the muzzle and also have my hand stop far enough forward for me.

If you’re not mounting much 12 or 15 may make no difference, but you could also end up wanting more stuff on there down the road. Having the space already would be nice. Like buying a little more house than you need now so if you need extra space in a couple years it’s already there.

DD21D1BA-2D02-4E39-8A1A-781BA9F0E484.jpeg

Last edited:
I'll always go with the longest handguard possible for the application. As was mentioned, I've seen a lot of guys test barrels on barricades, cars, etc thinking it was their forend.

A carbon fiber handguard alleviates the suppressor under the handguard heat issues, but even then it's a very specific use case and not something I'd necessarily recommend for a general use rifle.