• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing AR-15 Rifle Buffer

splean

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2007
On the Western Front
I am in the process of upgrading my AR-15 rifle. It has a 20" barrel and I tend to fire heavier rounds (69-77gr).I was replacing the buffer spring when I began to wonder about the buffer itself. A little on-line research came up with all sorts of buffers for carbines. I was wondering if there was such variety for rifle buffers. Is there a "better" rifle buffer? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Re: AR-15 Rifle Buffer

Gernerally buffers act as one of two things "to soften felt recoil" and "prevent action ware". On allot of guns felt recoil can be reduced by several means other than a buffer i.e. shortening barrel, adding a muzzle brake, dif loads, etc. You are talking about a 20" AR shooting a 69-77gr bullet. This leads me to believe you are shooting longer ranges and not a "standup run around cqb game". Honestly in an AR, as long as you have high quality parts, a match barrel, and good ammo, the last thing I would worry about is a buffer. If you find it hard to get back on target for follow on shots, I recomend a surefire brake. If you are deadset on a buffer look at hydraulic ones.

20" with a rifle length gas system-use what was designed for it, a stock rifle buffer and spring.

H buffers and such came out as a fix to shortening the gas system to extend dwell time.

I agree with all of the above. The heavy carbine buffers are intended for full auto short-barrel carbines, which are grossly over-gassed. They do very little for a semiautomatic carbine. If you want to do something that will improve your shooting, install a good aftermarket trigger in your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">20" with a rifle length gas system-use what was designed for it, a stock rifle buffer and spring.

H buffers and such came out as a fix to shortening the gas system to extend dwell time.</div></div>

Exactly this.Buffer weight has nothing to do bullet weight.It's about GAS SYSTEM.Only thing the buffer/spring/bcg feels is gas pressure which is mostly affected by where the port is and how big the hole is.