• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

AR optics with etched reticle and no magnification

Casey Lee

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2024
Arizona
A few years ago I had an eye injury resulting in an inability to clearly see the red dot in my optics in bright daylight. I can see the etched reticle in my Vortex Viper just fine and in low light the red dot is good, but my department won’t let us use magnification on our rifles. The only sight I found with etched reticle, red dot and no magnification looked like something for an airsoft gun. Suggestions for a quality sight for my AR?

PA is also close to releasing a GLx or whatever their nicer version is on the 1x prisms. They've been teasing for s whole now.

I will warn you that the eye relief is real short on both the PA and the vortex. I've got an astigmatism, so I'm stuck with them too.

I could never find a reticle subtension page for the PA stuff, but their Gemini reticle is small. I'm using it to hunt, so no biggie, but for Dept use I bet it would be hard to pick up when running and gunning. The vortex reticle is bigger, and I've also heard that the other PA reticles are a bit bigger too.

Idk about the PA but I've never had a problem with eye relief on the Vortex Spitfire or Spitfire AR shooting it in 3 gun. We shoot from lots of weird positions too.
For my eyes, a reticle is useless in the 1x. I had a Burris AR1X and the subtentions were worthless. Also with the Burris, it has a massive center dot. Completely covered up small targets at distance but might actually be beneficial for your use.
Also skip the discontinued Leupold Prismatic. Illumination was only usable at duck/dawn and the mount was hot garbage.

Reactions: flogxal
PA is also close to releasing a GLx or whatever their nicer version is on the 1x prisms. They've been teasing for s whole now.

I will warn you that the eye relief is real short on both the PA and the vortex. I've got an astigmatism, so I'm stuck with them too.

I could never find a reticle subtension page for the PA stuff, but their Gemini reticle is small. I'm using it to hunt, so no biggie, but for Dept use I bet it would be hard to pick up when running and gunning. The vortex reticle is bigger, and I've also heard that the other PA reticles are a bit bigger too.

I have astigmatism and eotechs are awesome. Nice and crisp.

Subtensions are definitely meant for use with a magnifier.