AR10 168 gr or 175gr ammo??

Re: AR10 168 gr or 175gr ammo??

OP...thanks for your patience regarding my post in your thread. Did not want to step on toes right out of the gate here in the "Hide".
On a side note...I was at a gun shop earlier today and they had a DPMS Panther LR-308T for sale. First time I really put my hands on a DPMS....nice rig. The fella that purchased it...ran 50 rds through the pipe...and returned it...too much recoil. (That's what the fella behind the counter said anyhow) I wasn't buying it...whatever...I don't think it would suit me...since I believe I'm obligated to buy an Armalite upper...since the lower is Armalite. Still researching that...for now...still doing re-search on the new rig. Eventually I will be looking for a carbine-"middy" length complete upper.

This thread is very interesting to me as I am just now prepping to load for my LMT MWSE (1 in 10 twist chromelined barrel).

If I understand some of the comments correctly, the accuracy of a given bullet versus another might not be accurately represented by comparing them at just 100 yards?

What is the minimum rnage that such a comparison should be done at to provide meaningful results, if the intended usage range is 500 to 700 yards?

Jim G

agreed. minimum is 300 for a 5-6 but that doesn't tell you anything about 600+ (if your picky).

for the other questions:
a 175 in a proper barrel/twist rate is the best combo. there is no such thing as a "more accurate" 168... its just a 168 that may be more compatible with an individual rifle's internal ballistics. 175s are slightly more versatile and have been proven to be far more forgiving. the 168s simply have more DOPE widely available so they tend to stick around. if you have good gun, decent barrel, and a 1/10... try some reputable match 175s, unless there is some type of mechanical issue those rounds WILL shoot from 100-1000+ (depending on rifle's internal ballistics). if they don't, its not the gun !

for the heavier bullets 180/190/etc it becomes a personal preference for your particular weapons system setup. undoubtedly, a 190 SMK bullet itself has a higher BC, thus more *potential* for LR accuracy. HOWEVER, I have rarely met a shooter that will actually realize the 0.030 difference at every shot, especially in a gas-gun of all things. the DOPE call becomes a little different, thats all.

so my point is... don't over-think it. sometimes simple is better, and the weakness lies in us, the human element.

BTW....new to SnipersHide. glad to be here with you guys!

I seem to get tighter groups with 168's from 600 in with all my autos by a small margin providing minimal wind, but past 600 the 175's definately shoot better. I'll often pich up a batch of 168's when I can find a good deal on them and just use them for closer range work.

I choose 175grain M118LR everyday for its accuracy and stability past 500 yards. However with both my Short gas system 18" 1/11 barrel versus my 20" 1/12 rifle length gas system I notice no difference at 0-300 yards with M852 168 grain. I have not spent much time between 300 and 500 to have enough experience to comment. From what I have read though is that 168's are fine to 600 and you need to up the game to 175's past that. Also I have experienced no problems with either ammo in AR-10's in many various barrel length and gas system variations. Only when a suppressor is added do I have any malfunctions.

joining the choir here...
In my 24" DPMS the 168 shoot slightly better at shorter distances, but the 175 perform better at longer distances.
The difference at 200-300 isnt big enough to justify switching back and forth between them depending on distance, I'd rather shoot one load I know works out to 1000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCourt Munitions LLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO - 300 yards </div></div>
How about the 155 lapua in a 1-10 24 inch or a in the 20 inch 5r 11.25 twist?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShooterDev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sch2046 - stuff that 5R 11.25 twister with a Lapua 155 scenar, between 2900-2950, and .010 into the lands. guaranteed combo. you can tweak a bit from there if needed. </div></div>
thank you! that is what I was looking for.

I just ran a course with a 175SMK 118LR clone and it worked well out to 1K with an 18inch OBR. I tried the 155 Scenars but couldn't quite get the velocity. If you have the longer tube, my bolt buddy swears by the Scenars.

I've tried SMK 168's and 175's, as well as the 155 Scenars, and the 175 SMK's seem to perform the best for me. I bought a ton of the 155's from SW Ammo, and they haul ASS out of my GAP-10. I haven't measured with a chrono, but backing into it with my ballistics program, they are right at the 2900fps that Southwest advertises. They don't drop much, but they just don't seem to be quite as accurate, and the brass gets swiped. They seem a little too hot for my taste.

Im want to tweek the most out of my 1/10 LMT MWS @ 100-200YDS.
(I want to get some bolt gun guys excited)
I assume im looking for a 150grn flat base match bullet ?
Any recommended loads ?
Anyone try some Premium Bullets like Berger or Bart's ? (they cater to the benchrest group)
Thanks for any replies.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im want to tweek the most out of my 1/10 LMT MWS @ 100-200YDS.
(I want to get some bolt gun guys excited)
I assume im looking for a 150grn flat base match bullet ?
Any recommended loads ?
Anyone try some Premium Bullets like Berger or Bart's ? (they cater to the benchrest group)
Thanks for any replies.....</div></div>

Take a look at the 155 Scenars from SouthwestAmmunition.com.

I'm getting awfully good groups with Black Hills 175 BTHP match ammo. Very consistent at distance. Fairly affordable. Don't have time to reload yet. 168's shoot well, but not like the 175's.

matchman- for a short range of 1-200, going Bergers or similar would be a waste of money IMO. the weakness for super tight groups at that range depends more on the guns setup (for gasgun) and tuning a load for the gun. while some flat based 150's have great accuracy in specific rifles, a 168 175 etc can have equal or likely greater accuracy in a properly setup rifle with custom load, especially with that 1:10 twister. and SMKs or Nos Custom Comps will be much much cheaper. hope this helps give you some better ideas to consider.