• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes AR10 glass opinions

tacgnut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Just picked up my new H308 and looking for a compact scope suitable for targets up to 600 yards. I am somewhat smitten with the features and looks of the NF 2-10x42 with the MOAR reticle and zero stop. Although I have looked at other makes, I have grown to like my other NF scopes, therefore thinking to stick with what works. However not sure I want to put that much dinero in this project.

The 2.5-10x32 Vortex FFP beats the NF is glass quality and feel. Not sure why, but many people preffer it. Its also about half the price.

The 3-12 Bushy that GAP speced looks to be a winner too. Its around the price of the NF

The 2.5-10x32 model nightforce would work just fine for that, if that is all the magnification you want.

The 2.5-10x32 Vortex FFP beats the NF is glass quality and feel.

I've tried a bunch of different scopes (pretty much everything under 1000$) on my 223 ARs and that vortex is by far my favorite. My only question is reliability as I've seen a couple that had spinning reticules after ~500 rounds.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not familiar with the $2000 Bushnell, however I have looked at the Vortex and looks like a solid scope for the money.
I'm sure the Bushnell is a quality scope, however I would find it difficult to choose one over a NF, regardless of who spec'd it out.

Wheres the BEST place to purchase either the NF or Vortex? It looks as though NF is available from a growing number of retailers. I plan to purchase from one of the fine sponsors here on the hide.

For a 308 i would get an optic with more magnification than 2.5-10X to take advantage of its long range ability. Something in the 3-15X50, 4-16X50 range or greater depending on how far you are shooting.

My 308 AR has a 16" barrel, and I called on for short to medium shots, so 2.5-10 is perfect for me. It is also used quite frequently in low light, so the larger 42mm objective was my choice. CS Tactical sells NF and Mike has some in stock -or did a few days ago.

I played with the Vortex, wanted to like it (save some $$) but ended up with the NF, no regrets.

samnev, I appreciate your ideas and agree the 308 is more capable than a 10X allows, however I'm trying to keep the profile to a minimum along with weight.
Rancid, appreciate the info and made the decision to buy from Mike @ CS Tactical, great guy.

I'll post some pics once complete, now I just need a cow elk tag in the mail!

Thanks for the replies. I'm not familiar with the $2000 Bushnell, however I have looked at the Vortex and looks like a solid scope for the money.
I'm sure the Bushnell is a quality scope, however I would find it difficult to choose one over a NF, regardless of who spec'd it out.

Wheres the BEST place to purchase either the NF or Vortex? It looks as though NF is available from a growing number of retailers. I plan to purchase from one of the fine sponsors here on the hide.

Mile High Shooting...Got mine!

I've been through many scopes on my 308 trying to find the best combo of compactness, weight, glass and magnification.
I have owned and used the following scopes on the 16.5" rifle pictured, all of them had drawbacks that made me try something new before finally feeling like I found "The One" in the Nightforce 2.5-10x42:

-Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40- Reticle way too thick for shooting past 400 yards, wanted parallax adjust. Turrets mushy.

-IOR 4-14x50- Where to start? Mostly way too long and heavy, but overall the scope just has a clumsy feel, period.

-Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 EMDR- Heavy, had trouble seeing the FFP reticle at night. Illumination sucks on these, always too bright.

-SWFA 1-6x24- Poor low light performance, not enough magnification.

-Nightforce F1 3.5-15x50 MLR2- Not too much wrong, just long and heavy-ish

-Nightforce 2.5-10x42 Mil-R- Haven't found anything wrong yet. Perfect magnification to size ratio for me. Illum works well. I've used this scope on IPSC targets at 900 yards and didn't feel like I "NEEDED" more magnification.

My uses are mostly range shooting prone and bench, and riding around on a 4-wheeler or sitting in a stand hunting pigs. When it comes to pig hunting weight was a serious detriment, as were FFP reticles. When zoomed out for shots on moving pigs it can be difficult to pick up the reticle against the background during daylight. Your needs may be different.

Anyway, here's the pic of the Nightforce 2.5-10x42 in a Nightforce Unimount (1.125" height)on my POF for your review. It has a set of AADMOUNT scope caps, and I have about 0.015" clearance between the obj cap and the rail.

xmkjgg.jpg

samnev, I appreciate your ideas and agree the 308 is more capable than a 10X allows, however I'm trying to keep the profile to a minimum along with weight.
Rancid, appreciate the info and made the decision to buy from Mike @ CS Tactical, great guy.

I'll post some pics once complete, now I just need a cow elk tag in the mail!

With that in mind I think that the NXS 2.5-10X 42 would be a solid choice for your 308 AR.

Just put a NF 5.5-22x50 Moar T on my JP LRP07. Went this large as I have a GAP in 260 in production and thought I'd play with this now and then transfer to that. Then I might go to the compact.