• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Range Report AR500 Steel targets Longevity?

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Oct 15, 2009
    Mississippi
    I've been meaning and wanting to get a steel target or two for a while now. Saw LL's review of Big Dog steel targets figured i'd give them a try. So i've got a full size IPSC in cart and ready to go. I just don't know much about steel targets. So what kind of longevity am i looking at here? This will be shot with a 5.56-.308-.300Wby. Will be shot no closer than 300yds.

Re: AR500 Steel targets Longevity?

Exact length of life = long ass time.

In all seriousness, I dont know the exact life of a piece of AR500. I can tell you that we have a bunch that has been shot by many competitors many times and they are still in great shape.

By you saying "no closer than 300", you got a hell of a long way to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exact length of life = long ass time.

In all seriousness, I dont know the exact life of a piece of AR500. I can tell you that we have a bunch shoot my many competitors multiple times and they are still in great shape.

By you saying "no closer than 300", you got a hell of a long way to go. </div></div>

Great to hear then. About to place the order. Big Dog has a video of it being shot with a 50bmg and other than paint chipping no deformation of the steel occurs which is pretty amazing. I was just curious if this would be a 235$ that i would have to reshell out every year or so. Obviously it isn't which is just what i wanted to hear. Thanks Knight.

we blast AR500 3/8" thick with 338LM, 338 Edge, 375 Cheytac, at distances no closer than 500 and it doesn't even put the slightest dent in the steel. With the calibers you mention I think you are safe for a lifetime of shooting at it.

The only damage I've done to my targets are from a 22-250Ackley spitting 40 grain hollow point varmint bullets at a very high rate of speed from 100 yards. All it did was dimple the steel about half the size of a dime and about as deep as a dime is thick. Every other caliber it's A-OK

From my experience with ar500 steel you will not have to replace those targets for a very long time. The only damage ever done to mine is from hitting the edge it does nick them, I have a few different manufacturers targets and it doesn't seem to mater how they are cut they all do it some worse than others.

Also i have shot my 3/8 targets at 100yds with 22-250 and 17 fireball and it does crater the steel. High velocity bullets are no match for steel at close range

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only damage I've done to my targets are from a 22-250Ackley spitting 40 grain hollow point varmint bullets at a very high rate of speed from 100 yards. All it did was dimple the steel about half the size of a dime and about as deep as a dime is thick. Every other caliber it's A-OK </div></div>

Speed kills steel. As long as you (the OP) stay out at 300+ it'll last a LONG time. Mine is 3/8" AR500 and beat on it dang near every weekend through the winter months, and it still looks like new, after 3 years. We never set it closer than 400 yards or so.

17HMR did more damage at 100yds - it pitted one of my plates pretty badly. 300WM at the same distance did nothing but imprint.

I'm banning the 17HMR on my steel...

1323436325.jpg

This target has never been shot inside 200 yds. It is 3/8 ar500 from big dog steel. The craters are from 22-250 superformance 50 gr ammo at 250 yds.

1323436277.jpg

This target is mainly 300 yds and out and it's starting to look like the moon with all the little craters in it. It is 3/8 thick but not sure if it ar500. I shoot this target with every gun I own and has probably 2500 rnds on it.

my experience... ar500 is fine if you're not pitting it.. it will last forever; however, if the ar500 has welds in it, it will fall apart at some point where it's been welded... I've knocked off flapping portions of steel targets this way... the welds break...

When heat treated ar500 is heated in the welding process, it changes its hardness.

Also, with 208gr amax loaded to it's full potential.... you can almost shoot through 3/8ths ar500 at 300yds. Some guy came to the range and shot ours with his 300wm without asking.... prick. tore up our steel and left before we'd seen that he'd done it.

Forgive me if this has been said already, I just skimmed what was posted, but be sure to hang the target so it's free to move. That will greatly increase it's life. If you mount it rigidly, (I've seen people do it)you will do much more damage to it. I shoot at ar-400 targets, because I bought it as scrap, and got 4 12" gongs out of it, and 2 prairie dogs for $11. It has taken hits from a full house .300 wby loaded with 208 A-Max's, and as long as I keep it at 400 or beyond, it's fine. At 400 it will ding the plate a bit, but it's more like a dent. It doesn't break the surface. I'm sure even the AR-400 will last a long time.

Was going to ask what's everyone using to stand or hang their targets? Im thinking of ordering the 45$ bracket for a 4x4 getting a post hole digger and putting it in the ground. But I've thought of getting angle iron and making a stand to hang it from also.

I made my stands from 1" 14ga square tubing and the targets all just hang from thick chains. My chains have been shot several times and they have a few nicks but they still work fine. Make sure the targets can swing when hit that will increase the life of the steel

Jcvibby
    The prairie dog target is from big dog steel here on snipershide and he says they are water jetted ar500. They are on a spring base but it does move alot when hit

The head target is from lv steel I beleive but not sure if it's ar500

-=-

We waterjet our targets to keep the quality as high as it can be, we use high quality, true, through hardened AR500 from (3) of the biggest suppliers and mills in the US. We care about the quality of the steel we use,that's why we also use the most expensive method of cutting steel, waterjets. We also sell targets, not just plate, so we take the time to paint each target with a high quality metal primer than bonds with it to help protect it from the elements.

osuarchitect
    I meant no disrespect to you by that post. I was just trying to explain to the guy that I got the targets from a reputable person. I know that speed will destroy targets and i am not unhappy with your product at all. You make a great product. I have quite a few big dog steel targets and love them.

If your bullets are hitting your target at speeds in the 3400 fps range you will crater the steel regardless of distance.

I will chime in and agree that speed kills. I shot a hole clean through ar500 at 100 yards with a .243ackley and a 75 gr vmax doing ? Fps. Put two rounds in the same spot and light shined right through. And YES it was ar500 of good quality and I do still have the certs. so dings on a spring loaded target at 250 very possible.

50 BMG in APIT isn't very friendly to them either!
    wink.gif

I have some of LV steel's targets from here in Vegas (Awesome targets!)

I also have one home made AR-500 target for ELR stuff that is a 3'x3' plate, I shot it at 250 yards with the Barrett with APITS and it punched some nice 1/2"holes in it (may have exploded some coleman propane tanks on the way
    smile.gif
    )

Black- If you can spend $50 on steel tubing/ angle iron and you or yout friend can weld, you can steal my design lol. I love it! Holds the AR500 perfect!
    (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2694572)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was going to ask what's everyone using to stand or hang their targets? Im thinking of ordering the 45$ bracket for a 4x4 getting a post hole digger and putting it in the ground. But I've thought of getting angle iron and making a stand to hang it from also. </div></div>

I can't tell you how long they last but I can tell you you can wreck em if you really want to in about six months....
    DSCN0654.jpg

I busted right through mine with a 7RUM and a 180 Berger at just north of 3180, at 100 yards, didn't even shake the plate, thought I actually missed it til I walked down range.

DSCN0661.jpg

Im not sure if the picture is too good but I've actually got about a half inch bend in the center of mine from repeated smacks from short range practice.

You can kinda see the AP core stuck in the front of the plate....

I just welded up a new one Friday to take out, we shot the new 130grain 30 cal barrier blind bullets at it, along with a bunch of m855 stuff....
    DSCN0659.jpg

Front.....

DSCN0658.jpg

I know how to smash crap, but I get the pieces as drops from a place that has(or had anyway) the up armor contract for the humvee's. So I got no freight, nothin but rod and a half a cup of gas for my Miller.

The back braces are drops from a trailer rebuild we did...

Keeps lead from flying about out in the desert, and I like the sound. Glasses and long sleeves are a must.

sean

The match I shot last weekend in Rifle had their AR500 plates 1.5" thick. Yes, ONE POINT FIVE inches thick. I think it will last forever. Haha. Guy said they didnt want to worry about ANY caliber shooting them.

Good plan in theory, but the problems arise in recognizing hits. Other than the crack of the bullet hitting steel, from 300 and out, the plates movement from hits were not discernable through a scope. That and set-up. Ha they said it was a 2 man job to lift the plates.

And I have some 3/8" steel I have punched through in 1 shot at 100 yds with 22-250, and left some good craters at 220 yds.

Regards,
    DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">speed kills for sure!!!

<span style="text-decoration: underline">5 inch thick AR500</span>!!!! That would be heavy!!! How big of a plate was it? </div></div>

I said 1.5" thick, not 5", but the plates ranged from 4"-12" and were a 2 man job to move around! ha.

DT

My Bad DT, I read it way wrong.

I was thinking you were saying at one point they were five inches thick.

Yes, ONE POINT FIVE inches thick.

Still 1.5 inch AR500 is massive..

AR500 will last forever! I love shooting on steel targets. They make it way better than shooing on paper. Shooting on paper at long range means walking out and putting new paper targets out all the time. The only draw back to steel targets is setting up the steel every time that you go out to the range.