• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Arbor Press Vs Single Stage...need your vote :)

Lmi3

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2020
Hi Guys,

Still hesitating to buy an arbor press...so i made up two options not exceeding my budget.
Which option you think would produce more accurate ammo ? :)

Xnip2024-09-06_00-28-30.jpg

PS : those are the best prices i found (Europe)

Last edited:
I kind of like Option1. How are you going to be priming your brass? Did you add in the cost of bushings?

RCBS makes some lower cost press options that you could substitute in there too like the Rock Chucker or the Rebel.

Reactions: Lmi3
What’s a normal old rockchucker with Redding dies cost?
Personally, I wouldn’t want any of those choices but the summit and type s is my choice between the two. Skip the mec

I have a Summit press. Not at all thrilled with it. I Don’t recommend it. I use my ancient Rock Chucker more than the Summit because it produces lower runout.

Just getting back into loading after a 21 year break check all three of my presses and the rams are all rusted and pitted so in the market as well. Pretty sure I will be picking up one of the Creedmoor sports upgraded Redding T-7s.

Reactions: Lmi3 and simonp
I'd recommend by the best single stage press you can, then for seating I'd buy both and see what you do/don't like in terms of process. I think it's a bit of workflow and personal preference.

Definitely not a money vs accuracy issue.

Personally I have access to both methods and prefer inline dies, all other things equal. But that would never stop me from using the alternative, if required for some reason.

Reactions: padom and Lmi3
I have a Summit press. Not at all thrilled with it. I Don’t recommend it. I use my ancient Rock Chucker more than the Summit because it produces lower runout.
i keep hearing that some summit has a problem with runout ! That’s why i was also considering the option 1

The problem with an arbor press is now you need special seating dies to use it in addition to the normal dies. I would go with a Forster co-ax and spend the rest on bushing die sets and mandrels. That would be more than plenty to make quality ammo.
for the arbor press, i included the special seating die in the calculation.
Co-Ax price here in EU is 650 euros 😔

The problem with an arbor press is now you need special seating dies to use it in addition to the normal dies.

You need a seating die regardless if you go Arbor or 7/8" on press seating die.. and, if we are talking Forster Ultra or Redding Comp seating dies, the price is the same as a Wilson SS Micrometer inline seating die to be used on an Arbor press.

You don't size on an Arbor, so I'm not sure what "special dies" your talking about in addition to what "regular" dies your talking about.

You need 1 seater and 1 sizer at a minimum whether you go Arbor or standard press. No difference.....

And by the way, I have 20+ Forster Ultra and Redding comp micro seater and made the switch to KM Arbor and Wilson ss micro seater and the round to round seating depth consistency is amazing. Couldn't be more happy with this setup.

Last edited:
You need a seating die regardless if you go Arbor or 7/8" on press seating die.. and, if we are talking Forster Ultra or Redding Comp seating dies, the price is the same as a Wilson SS Micrometer inline seating die to be used on an Arbor press.

You don't size on an Arbor, so I'm not sure what "special dies" your talking about in addition to what "regular" dies your talking about.

You need 1 seater and 1 sizer at a minimum whether you go Arbor or standard press. No difference.....

And by the way, I have 20+ Forster Ultra and Redding company micro seater and made the switch to KM Arbor and Wilson ss micro seater and the round to round seating depth consistency is amazing. Couldn't be more happy with this setup.
Exactly 👍

Can't go wrong with a Rock Chucker : I used one or a variation for decades . Before switching to progressive presses by Dillon . ANY press will produce outstanding ammo ,provided it's properly set up and Quality Dies and components are also on the menu .

This day and age I'd go Turret Press as they're so much more versatile or Step up to a progressive and make more in less time .

Model:9356

Rock Chucker® Supreme Press​

$269.95

The Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Reloading Press is the Gold Standard other single-stage presses are measured against. For decades it has provided unparalleled versatility and strength to make it the top choice for both discerning novices and experienced alike. It doesn't matter if you are looking for your first press or 10th you need a Rock Chucker on your bench.

I would not do any of that honestly. I'm also partial to turret presses if it's a good one. Redding and Lyman both make basically the same turret press and on both you can sand the spacer to get them ridiculously right yet still turn smooth and nice. They aren't bad right out of the box either. It's just so much easier to leave some stuff set up and any decent press will make excellent ammo provided the dies and components are good and the loader had a solid method.

Reactions: Lmi3 and simonp
For accuracy calibers, like the 6 Dasher, I have used the arbor press, a modified small shop arbor press, cheap, works great.
And Wilson dies that come as a set with the micrometer seater.
Or I use the Forester Co-Ax press, Wilson FL bushing die and a Bonanza micrometer seating die...which needed the seating stem strengthened, but works good after the repair...this produces excellent ammo also.
Not a fan of the RCBS Summit...it breaks.

A little background would help. Are you new to reloading ? What level of precision is needed for your shooting? ie, are you just hunting or banging steel, or PRS comps, or are you looking down the Benchrest or F-Class rabbit hole?

Save up longer, and get a turret press; trust me I started on a single stage and it's a HUGE time waster continually moving dies. If that exceeds the budget, you can skip the arbor press and still get very good ammo with Forster sizing and seating dies. They're very good dies and they dont cost a ton compared to the custom, boutique brands. If you're trying to squeeze the VERY last ounce (or gram lol) of consistency you'll need an inline seating die, but if you're just starting out, you may find you never need or want that level of precision. Though, what are you reloading for? You can't own guns there. You're European, you got all your guns taken away because they cause violence. And you guys are SUPER proud of that when comparing yourselves to us, right? :)

Reactions: simonp
Save up longer, and get a turret press; trust me I started on a single stage and it's a HUGE time waster continually moving dies. If that exceeds the budget, you can skip the arbor press and still get very good ammo with Forster sizing and seating dies. They're very good dies and they dont cost a ton compared to the custom, boutique brands. If you're trying to squeeze the VERY last ounce (or gram lol) of consistency you'll need an inline seating die, but if you're just starting out, you may find you never need or want that level of precision. Though, what are you reloading for? You can't own guns there. You're European, you got all your guns taken away because they cause violence. And you guys are SUPER proud of that when comparing yourselves to us, right? :)
I hope you were trying to be funny, it came off as very condescending.

It was levity, yes. (although, I hope it's levity, when I see all those europeans being interviewed about what they think about some shootings they see in america, and they all say we have too many guns and that they should all be taken away)

Reactions: oldrifleman
I load all of my precision rifle ammo on an Lyman Ideal and IMO that’s all you need. I wouldn’t trade mine for a Zero or anything else and can afford to buy any other press out there if I wanted to. It’s awesome. Just get a press riser for it, either the Lyman universal one or one from Inline Fabrication.

72125214978__8B2DD460-B7BE-433A-9720-87D4C9C28628.jpeg

I load all of my precision rifle ammo on an Lyman Ideal and IMO that’s all you need. I wouldn’t trade mine for a Zero or anything else and can afford to buy any other press out there if I wanted to. It’s awesome. Just get a press riser for it, either the Lyman universal one or one from Inline Fabrication.

View attachment 8498073
Not sure I am tall enough to feed that Dillion :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: CK1.0
I seriously think the Lyman Ideal press is one of the best kept secrets in all of reloading. I originally got it just to seat bullets and IMO it destroys an arbor press for that since it’s way faster and you still get the same amount of ”feel” due to its size. But what I didn’t expect is that its geometry and how beefy it is really makes it great for everything else too, and the access one gets with the ”open C” design rules. I’ve used friend’s Zero and Co-Ax presses many times and there’s no comparison, the Ideal slays either/both of those IMO.

Oh, and it’s cheaper than most dies. 😂

Last edited:
Minimum get a Turret Press and in this day and age most all major manufacturers will produce Better ammo than one can purchase .
Quality Dies of Reputable manufacturers are readily available . IF one preps their cases correctly pays attention to bullet and style used ,setting up seating depth doesn't require micrometer dial bullet seater .
A comparator is far more sensible as well as useful tool ,IMO .
I own an inordinate amount of Dies more than #5 reloaders combined ,Why ?. Because I've experimented over the years having various specialty companies attempt to apply a specific coating inside the Dies . Coupled with the fact I reload for #22 calibers , excluding #3 Shotshell gauges . So Do My Forester ,Redding Dies reload any better than My RCBS or Hornady ; NO they don't . ALL Dies are made to SAAMI specifications ,unless they're custom Dies and do exactly the job intended .

Fyi : NO I've NOT ruined any Dies everyone of them still has the ability to reload Quality Ammunition . Only had #8 Rounds left from a 1993 reloading ,why #2 groups of 4 .

Attachments

• Aero precision AR 6 5 CM April 2024.jpg
    Aero precision AR 6 5 CM April 2024.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 13
  • July 2023 44 Mag target 2.jpg
    July 2023 44 Mag target 2.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 10
  • Labor Day 2022 222 targets 2.jpg
    Labor Day 2022 222 targets 2.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Labor Day Targets Close up 1.jpg
    Labor Day Targets Close up 1.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Following your advice, i started looking for T7 let’s see if i find some…

Yes, i’m in Europe and jealous of you people but that doesn’t mean we can’t own dope shit !
Here’s my gun for reference 😁😁ATX

Attachments

• IMG_3916.jpeg
    IMG_3916.jpeg
    528.6 KB · Views: 29
arbor press if you plan to do something about different feeling seating forces......
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this is the correct answer.

At this stage of your reloading journey I would just get a good quality single stage press like a rockchucker or, if you have excess cash, get a Zero press or the new SAC Nexus press. Skip the Coax! Invest in good dies from SAC, Bullet central, Redding, Forster. Start with good brass like Lapua or Alpha! Learn brass prep! This is a long process and a lot of time spent doing research on forums like this on topics like chamber headspace and shoulder bump, lubrication, neck tension, annealing, etc, etc. there is lot to learn.

Regarding the Arbor press:

We have SAC, Bullet Central, and Redding making excellent threaded seaters. These seaters will produce excellent ammo. There is no need to go to the Arbor press until you have mastered brass prep and can produce cases with consistent/proper neck tension.

@30cal user is correct. The reason most competitive shooters go with an arbor die and arbor press is the ability of this system to indicate seating pressure. In-line arbor dies and arbor presses permit direct feedback to the reloader regarding seating pressure because their design makes them very sensitive to seating pressure changes from neck tension and friction. And most competitive shooters will tell you that neck tension/friction consistency is key to precision. if you want to go further, a K&M press with a pressure pack or a 21st Century Hydro press will give you quantitative results to compare seating pressure. The AMP press goes the extreme with all the pressure graphs. Many competitive shooters will use the arbor-type dies to separate loaded cartridges that they consider as “outliers” with excessive seating pressure or very low pressure. They may use these as fouling shots before shooting for record.

Last edited:
Just get a T7 and your good

I just demoted my T7 to do the limited amount of pistol ammo I do. I just got a SAC Nexus and continue to use an arbor press for seating (AMP Press in the reloading room and K&M at the range). One of the reasons I switched was that if was loading multiple calibers and needed to switch turrets, it was kind of a pain. Since I'm only sizing and mandreling (it's not a word) on my main press, it's easier to slide in each die than switching turrets - if that was required.

I've only done limited work so far on the Nexus, but holy crap the thing is nice.

is the T7 the Swiss army knife of presses

Not certain about that ,however it's supposedly one of the most versatile . I ran an RCBS Rock Chucker for decades prior to purchasing Dillon progressives . First Dillon I bought off Mike himself and design ,materials plus lifetime parts warranty sold ME .
Now IF I were looking and 30-40 years younger , I'd pop for an # 11 station linear full auto reloading machine ,LV or something very similar .

I own 7 presses and one hydro arbor for the use of l e Wilson seating dies .
2 RCBS presses for sizing, 4 cheep o LEE presses for light use . things like removing primers, putting primers in , crimping if it should be needed ,one with a Redding instant indicator ,and one Lyman C press that i've had for 50+years that I only use to pull bullets . its worn an rather sloppy .
why 2 RCBS presses ?? because one was given to me and I knew better than to say no I don't need it.

I use the K&M on all three Centerfire Cartridges that I load for
Simplicity is key and you don’t get more simple than a K&M and Wilson Dies .
I’m no expert and I definitely don’t proclaim to know what I’m doing, I’m just telling you what I do .

There are advantages and disadvantages to all styles of presses and dies.

If you have space… the press is generally the cheap part. Every reloader needs a basic single stage press for load development, small runs, etc.

Progressives are nice for bulk ammo.

Turret presses let you keep things like Universal decappers set up and toggle quickly between dies if you are working multiple calibers or in batches.

Big presses make life easy for things like FLSizing heavy cartridges.

So picking a press or multiple presses is as varied as what you shoot. And in the end (except for some of the super cool new “Gucci” presses out there) the press is not the expensive part of reloading.

Cheers, Sirhr

Reactions: CK1.0 and Modoc
There are advantages and disadvantages to all styles of presses and dies.

If you have space… the press is generally the cheap part. Every reloader needs a basic single stage press for load development, small runs, etc.

Progressives are nice for bulk ammo.

Turret presses let you keep things like Universal decappers set up and toggle quickly between dies if you are working multiple calibers or in batches.

Big presses make life easy for things like FLSizing heavy cartridges.

So picking a press or multiple presses is as varied as what you shoot. And in the end (except for some of the super cool new “Gucci” presses out there) the press is not the expensive part of reloading.

Cheers, Sirhr

That was one main factor I neglected to mention ; Caliber changes . Dillon allowed ME to do exactly that fairly quickly ,pull pins slide out tool head ,swap shell plate slip new tool head in and off the the races . About 10 minutes ,as I have multiple tool heads setup .

.380 - .338 LM with a butt load in between (y)