Rifle Scopes ARC M3 Rings vs Burris Signature Zee

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
A comparison between the $200 American Rifle M3 rings and the $60 Burris Signature Zee rings may seen absurd, but I am looking at the two because I hate ring marks on a scope. These two address that, with the M3 applying more even pressure around the tube, but for a light recoiling 223, don't think I need Superman grip on the 30mm tube. I guess the Burris rings can pinch the tube, as shown on the American Rifle site, but at least no damage occurs that I can tell, or maybe I am missing something. ??? I like the M3 rings, but got to have a good reason to spend that amount of extra $$$.

- Phil

Re: ARC M3 Rings vs Burris Signature Zee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A comparison between the <span style="color: #FF0000">$200 American Rifle M3</span> rings and the $60 Burris Signature Zee rings may seen absurd, but I am looking at the two because I hate ring marks on a scope. These two address that, with the <span style="color: #FF0000">M3 applying more even pressure around the tube</span>, but for a light recoiling 223, don't think I need Superman grip on the 30mm tube. I guess the Burris rings can pinch the tube, as shown on the American Rifle site, but at least no damage occurs that I can tell, or maybe I am missing something. ??? I like the M3 rings, but got to have a good reason to spend that amount of extra $$$.

- Phil </div></div>

They don't cost $200 if you go to Euro Optics or SWFA.

They absolutely do not apply more pressure. They have more grip because of their design. I believe they are torqued at the same level as other rings if not less. The particular nuance about the strap design is that is molds to the tube rather than the rings of tradiitional design forcing the tubes to take their shape.

It's more than about ring marks, it's about making sure the scope never experiences a failure due to the rings.

YOu may well be fine with the Burris, then again you may not. With the ARC you will be good to go no worries.

Euro Optics is considerably less than $200, but the pics show Gen 2 from what I can tell. SWFA has Gen 3 rings, and while not $200, they are $180. A little more doable.

- Phil

I have Gen 2 and 3. Personally, from a looks only perspective, I love the Gen 2, clean, lean and mean so to speak. But the Gen 3 are probably the best thought out rings on the market. They're not just a product to add to a catalog of existing products, they are specifically engineered to be the best fit-for-purpose rings on the market.

I use both types of rings. On a 223 and most other cartridges the Burris would be fine. I've used them for 15 years now on varmint rifles,22's and air rifles with zero problems. But what if you buy a big magnum later and want to use the rings on that instead. That's where you might appreciate the engineering of 4 opposing strap wrenches gripping your scope. You definitely get what you're paying for with the ARC's. In fact I'm ordering another pair today.