• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Are flush cups better than sling studs

user

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2009
USA
Are they better than the stock sling studs that come on an HS stock (5r)Worth installing? Do they work better, are they stronger? Is there a benefit or are they just another way to do the same thing?

Re: Are fluch cups better than sling studs

Ive yet to see a real flush cup let go. ive see the cheap ones break before. one time a real one pulled out of the stock but was installed half assed

I love them cause there low profile, and i can carry my rifle flat which is great on super long hikes

I have two complaints about the flush cups on my stock.

1) I hate that they spin and twist my sling. I think I saw some at one point that had limiters that kept them from rotating 360 degrees. Would be a great idea.

2) Pushing the button with my finger will not release them. I have to use something that will push the button further into the swivel. Almost useless for it's intended purpose as a quick release.

John

my flush cups work perfectly. i asked about longevity when i ordered them and the manufacturer reported never to have had one returned. i like them because i can use a front rest and rear bag for load development should i choose. IF they are as strong as a standard swivel and dont let go, i see no down side.

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Low profile, wont snag. They are easy to install. </div></div>

Funny that of all the things hanging off a rifle the lowly sling stud gets a bad rap for snagging things. Cause a bipod, 56mm scope and huge ass bolt handle are so sleek they could never snag sumthin'. No offense at all to you glock, just struck me as the last thing on the rifle guilty of protruding too far.

I have worked for a gunsmith on and off for years and have NEVER seen a metal sling stud broken. I have eevn tried to stick a tool in them to turn them and try and break one but either the tool broke or bent.. I also hunt and have NEVER had a stud get caught on anything wether I've had a sling on the rifle or just the bare studs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMG50CAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive yet to see a real flush cup let go. ive see the cheap ones break before. one time a real one pulled out of the stock but was installed half assed

I love them cause there low profile, and i can carry my rifle flat which is great on super long hikes
</div></div>

I been watching this thread to glean some info (being a greenhorn here). What/who's FC's do you classify as "real"? Looks like McMillan uses Michaels - is there another, better maker?

Kaiser Norton

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-CC_REPLACEMENT_SLING_SWIVEL-1931.aspx

thats what i got, love em.

i never worried about snagging, but i did worry about lots of little manipulation that was awkward and also impossible with gloves on to unlatch my sling. also, now i dont have to unlatch my sling to go from carry to shooting, just swivel the front one around until it puts the right twist in the sling.

its evolution at its finest.

I like the flush cups installed on the left side on the rifle (for a right handel rfile) so that the weapon lays flat accross my back. I can go accross my back with it hanging the gun upside down and sug it tight and carry it for miles with no problem at all.

I've never had a problem with the studs getting cought on anything other than the rear bag when shooting from the bench. I had actualy installed studs on the side on a couple of my rifles 15 years ago before fluch cups were so popular or even existed (i'd never heard of them)

I like that its easy for the things to pop in and out , the button does have to be pushed in kind hard but I prefer that rather then them popping out at bad times

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the flush cups installed on the left side on the rifle (for a right handel rfile) so that the weapon lays flat accross my back. I can go accross my back with it hanging the gun upside down and sug it tight and carry it for miles with no problem at all.

I've never had a problem with the studs getting cought on anything other than the rear bag when shooting from the bench. I had actualy installed studs on the side on a couple of my rifles 15 years ago before fluch cups were so popular or even existed (i'd never heard of them)

I like that its easy for the things to pop in and out , the button does have to be pushed in kind hard but I prefer that rather then them popping out at bad times </div></div>
Great review! I would have to agree 100%. I picked up a Daniel Defense Fluch cup mount for my AR and I already had the Viltor stock so with that setup it lays perfect. The M&P line for some reason did not put Fluch Cups in their rails (Troy rails) but now it works great teamed with a Larue sling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Kaiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMG50CAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive yet to see a real flush cup let go. ive see the cheap ones break before. one time a real one pulled out of the stock but was installed half assed

</div></div>

I been watching this thread to glean some info (being a greenhorn here). What/who's FC's do you classify as "real"? Looks like McMillan uses Michaels - is there another, better maker?

Kaiser Norton </div></div>

The ones posted a post lower are good. I buy the ones from triad I forget get the maker but their solid. If you buy a good set and then see a cheaper set you will see how much better they are made.

For the person that cant push the flush cup in with out using some thing, thats one of the cheaper ones i had the same issues with my first set. then i chucked them and order good ones.

If you use a rifle hard most studs will pull out; it's only a matter of time.

If you get flush cups you need to get them properly installed, use good hardware, and get into the habit of double-checking them when you snap-in.

Or, if you're like me you can get an AICS and not worry about it.

It just seems like conventional swivel studs are always in the way, especially when shooting off bags. Also, I like flush cups mounted on the left side so the rifle sits flat on my back, as mentioned earlier.

Im glad this was brought up..

How are GrovTec's Cups and Swivels? thinking about getting em to put on a Mcm.

(didnt mean to hijack if i did..)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eboggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im glad this was brought up..

How are GrovTec's Cups and Swivels? thinking about getting em to put on a Mcm.

(didnt mean to hijack if i did..) </div></div>

I have used the GrovTec cups. They are blackened stainless steel and threaded on the outside. Very solid. Im not sure what size bit I used to install them, but for extra insurance, epoxy was used as well.

I think GrovTec's are the ones i use. Here goes my warranty, But i know they can hold a 140lb guy with a pack on his back while you pull him up a 12 foot wall by the sling. never trying it with any other ones so not sure if there better then others but they didnt break. So i dont unstand by people keep saying watch out your rifle will fall off your shoulder

I personally have never used cups for anything on my rifles, however as for studs they will get the job done. Just make sure to check the stud and screws every few trips because if used to secure a sling and pack around a gun weighing 8 lbs they have a tendancy to fall out. Expecially if running after an animal or packing more than just a rifle on it.

Just make sure to check them and alls well.

i used the GROVTEC cups and swivels. they also have a new flush cup stud to mount you bipod to. if you bored your hole correctly, you could simply screw the cup in. i bored mine oversize and epoxied them in. i dont believe the cup could ever come out. its nice to have a smooth forearm when you want it. i asked kim specifically about longevity and she said they have never seen one wore out. i hope it never dumps one of my rifles. that could get expensive.

chuck

Are flush cups where you put the big white mint?
grin.gif

Seriously, would like to see a pic if anyone can post one.