Are the expensive bi pods worth the price

Re: Are the expensive bi pods worth the price

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WASP7067</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$80-100? Try an atlas at $200 </div></div>

Have 4 of them....

Try a SAKO TRG $450....

I think "Expensive" is way to subjective for this topic.

I feel $80-$100 to be a more midrange. About like calling 700 yds "long range". It's only long range if you've never done it before or know guys that do.
$80 is only "expensive" if you've only ever spent $20 on a bipod.

I think the Harris is a moderately priced, excellent product...but I only say that because I've never felt the need or had the funds to buy an Atlas.
I've owned two Versa pods that broke and one cheap pos Winchester bipod that was returned to the store as soon as I opened the package.
I think Harris is well worth the money, but I also like being able to "quick detach" it and swap it back and forth between every rifle. I can appreciate the investment when it's on more than one rifle.

Is a set of 20 dollar rings as good as a 100 dollar set? For something they will work just fine, but for heavy use the 80-100 dollar ones are far better. And the 200-280 dollar atlas has a place.

If your bughole shooting rifle cost $2K to $3K; and your optics cost $1.5K to $3K; and your DBM mags cost $60 to $70 each, and you need at least 4:

Then a $200 to $450 for bipod to hold all that junk up off the ground, is not very expensive at all.

I have some buddies that were convinced there cheap wannabe Harris bipods were as good as a real Harris. It took about 3 months before they all broke or had problems.

Buy a good one.

Where you guys getting your Atlas' for $200!?! I guess for a clamp on maybe, I paid $255 for a new LW17 and thought I got a smokin deal.

Never thought Id say it, but its well worth the $. Maybe its some bias in me that feels like I need to justify the money, but I think more of it is that they are actually that much better. And that was stepping up from a Harris, not a shooters ridge.

Agreed with all of the above. Used to have a Winchester $20 wallyworld bipod. Started to get shaky so i gave it away.

Then i got a Versa-pod, which seemed strong, but really loose and flimsy on the rail mount. It's now in a box somewhere in my garage.

Now i use Harris. No problems thus far, however i also don't have a $3000+ gun to justify putting an Atlas on. I can definitely see BobinNC's reasoning with it though.

Buy a Harris, you won't regret it.

Years ago I bought an Outer's (Harris clone) for $30. Within 2 months the pivot screws were constantly loosening up and making the legs sloppy.

Purchased a Harris and excepting the battle scars it's still functionally good as new 8 years later.

I recently stepped up to an Atlas and will probably purchase a second. The pan & cant is great and you can load it much more than a Harris. I'm still keeping the Harris for two guns that don't lend themselves to a front rail for the Atlas.

I'd watch the PX for a swivel, notched leg Harris with a KMW pod-loc. IMO you're not really going to get a better setup unless you spend over double the money for an Atlas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MPB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Usually, with Bi Pods, you get what you pay for. </div></div>

AS with anything......Get what you pay for!!

But, Get what you want!

LOBO 151

I have four Harris bipods at this time, three are on the LaRue QD mount and one is the LaRue modified with the tilt control tension knob.

All work great, no issues, but I am thinking about an Atlas for my LMT MWS

In a word yes they are worth it. I have a harris and it is ok, a GG&G (about $275) and it is better and a Atlas (about $285) and it just rocks. worth every penny. Oh and if you can find a Atlas for $200 then snap it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darkgun82</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Right now I just have a $20 bi pod and it seems to work pretty good. </div></div>
i've heard this before... but for some reason when cut throat time comes, they seem to shit out. i took an iraq veteran out last year for a cow elk hunt, he was shooting a 7mm rem700, with a POS no name bi-pod, put him on a big ol fat cow @ 75yds... not good, 5 shots, no hits, after the first shot the pod folded, i had to bust ass straight down the ridge to get my pack, stuff it under his stick, but it didn't help him much.

I shoot the crap out out of my Harris's and GG&G including a good pounding with a .338 and they've been bomb-proof. I would say that you don't need anything more than a mid-range unit. Going high end nets little, if anything at all cept for tacticool points.

Is anything for this sport worth as much as everyone charges for it :)

But yes, quality products are well worth for the durability you gain alone. Also, the higher quality bi-pods have notched legs, pivot, canter right or left, just allowing you more positioning options which is really nice.

But do they have to sell for $100-$300 well, i guess if we keep buying them at that price why not...haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darkgun82</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As the title asks, and if they are worth $80-100 why are they worth that? Right now I just have a $20 bi pod and it seems to work <span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">pretty good</span></span></span></span>. </div></div>

Yup...because we all strive for "pretty good" a $20 POS bipod will serve you perfectly well. Save your money for Multicam accessories and you'll shoot better anyway!!!
wink.gif

Seriously, the $20 bipods are generally of fair quality at best if they rate that good. They are prone to breakage and generally not as sturdy as the higher priced models thanks to inferior components like thinner/softer metal, etc. Can you get buy with one on a range toy that will only be shot from the bench and never actually fielded...maybe. Will it ultimately serve you as well or for as long as a true Harris (not even bringing the Atlas into this discussion)...not likely. I have seen the knock-offs fail in as few as 5-6 "foldings" of the bipod and also fail when properly loaded with as light as around a 12lb rifle.

Additionally, and without trying to turn this into a political discussion...the mentality of buying a $20, cheaply manufactured knock-off from some crappy Chicom country instead of the more expensive, higher quality, American-made unit because "it looks the same" is demonstrative of a VASTLY larger problem!

LOL, when I opened this thread up, I was thinking my reply would be "the expensive bipods are worth it, but if all you can afford is a $100 swivel Harris, then you will still be good to go." Then I see that the "expensive" bipod IS the Harris in this context.

I would not consider using a bipod that costs less than a box of ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darkgun82</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As the title asks, and if they are worth $80-100 why are they worth that? Right now I just have a $20 bi pod and it seems to work pretty good. </div></div>

"There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey."
John Ruskin, (attributed)
English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900)

If it works good for you now then stay with it. You will come to a point when it doesn't do what you want it to. When that happens then upgrade. When you have a opportunity to try out a friends bipod or someone shooting with you then see what that one does that yours don't. If you stay shooting for a while then you will upgrade, but I will tell you this. I have always upgraded, I have never downgraded. Just keep in mind when you decide to get the better bipod, you will alway pay the extra money. I prefer the atlas, now when I buy one I can't settle for a cheaper one.

darkgun82 - "expensive" is a bit subjective, if the 20.00 bipod fit your budget and it works, why worry about it?

When it breaks, then consider a step up to a Harris. Harris is the gold standard bipod, one which should serve you well and you can get a fair price on the used market. (What I hear about the Harris knock-offs is they break fairly often, I have never owned one.) Then if you get to the point where you believe the bipod is the weak link in your shooting, then consider another option.

What the 200.00 + bipods deliver is better materials, functionality, features and with the Atlas less weight.

If you have an expensive gun and you shot a lot then something like this Atlas is probably the only way to go. I have a base remington 700 and I will only shoot a couple hundred rounds a month for the foreseable future. I purchased the Caldwell bipod for something like $50. It has all of the features (including a swivel and swivel lock)of the Harris and seems pretty solid for what I need. Only time will tell if the durability is there. If I upgrade the gun a lot and and start shooting more or start shooting competitions I will spend more on a bipod.

+1 on the Atlas. Money very well spent. In my case probably overkill, but I'd much rather have overbuilt and not need it, than need it and not have it. Buy once, cry once I figure, and with the QD I can always move it to another rifle quickly and easily....... On second thought, I'd probably just buy another.

I have both the harris and the atlas, they both work fine. The harris for what you pay is a good value. You want a very well made bipod that's easy and quick to add and remove buy the atlas. I have heard some complain about the tight tolerances on the atlas being a problem in a dirty dusty environment and being slow to deploy. To each is own, I use both all the time, worth the difference, personal choice.

I use a Harris on my AR15 and a Caldwell on my 10/22. I have put a few hundred rounds through both guns and don't have any issues with the Harris. The Caldwell is similar in construction, but the area on the bipod that the stock rests on has two rivets that don't stabilize on my B&C 10/22 stock well.

I compared the area to the Harris and it appears that Harris grinds down these "nubs" in addition to increasing padding on the sides. This helps eliminate the pivot point and makes it feel rock steady on my AR and 10/22. I am going to try adding a little padding to the Caldwell to match that of the Harris and see if it works. If interested, let me know and I'll keep you apprised of the results.

Also, keep in mind I'm not shooting anything greater than .223 with these so they haven't really been punished. Thats not to say it can't be done, its just that I use bags for my .308.

If your $20 bipod does what you want then rock on with it.

I have been shooting with Harris bipods for years and see no reason to change so that's what I stick with. A good BRM-S Harris with KMW Pod Loc and I am good to go.

Sinclair makes a nice tactical Bipod that weighs 28 oz. The Atlas BT-10 weighs 11 oz.

Which one you pick for your rifle will depend on how you plan to use it, and how mobile you need to be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: importsstillsuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My $60 Caldwell is a piece of shit. </div></div>

How so?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bear, the bear tasted like Kevin Bacon, why would a bi-pod taste like Mr. Bacon? </div></div>

I'm still trying to figure out why he knows what Kevin Bacon tastes like...

On to the bipod thing...

The Caldwell and Winchester bipods use a narrower angle on the legs. Add that to their poor build quality and you get a rest that wiggles all over the place. How do I know that? I didn't buy the darned things, my Dad did. He's a believer that if something looks the same, it must be the same quality. He also prefers quantity over quality. That's why he likes to go to Golden Corral and other buffets. I'd rather eat a smaller better quality meal.

I have been using a caldwell ( harris lookalike ) for 2 years. It is NOT that great. I have had to tighten all the screws on the thing many times and even modified where the springs attach to the base. The quality is just not there.
My dad has a 30 year old harris that he has never touched.
My next one will be harris for sure.

just opinion, hope it helps

As stated above Harris is the standard bipod. It is the bipod that all others are measured. Some may be better, like Atlas and some are worse like Winchester or Caldwell. I bought a UTG bipod and I use it on my slug gun, and it has held up fine. I also have a Harris on my Savage .300 WM, and I feel that it was worth the cost, for the confidence it gives me alone. I will be using the Harris for both guns for this season until I get another one. I do think a lesser bipod would a good choice for a .22 or maybe a .223.

For me this question is wheteher the extra $$$ for the Atlas is worth upgrading from the Harris. I have the Atlas V8, but the Harris still works for me.

OP, a $20 bipod will last forever if you never use it hard or much. The money for a Harris bipod is well worth it. The Atlas is regarded by many as the best tactical bipod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Atlas is regarded by many as the best tactical bipod. </div></div>

Well , it may be but it's up to the rifle where you mount it on too , Atlas is a no-go for heavy SWS like AWM and up in my experience ,

PP out

My Harris works great. The whole "buy once, cry once" theory is useful in explaining to my wife why I need the best gear. But in reality, it is mostly BS. If you buy a Harris and decide to upgrade to something else later, you will get most of your money back when you sell the HArris. For people just getting into the sport, this makes the most sense. Buy decent brand name stuff with lifetime warranties and good reputations. Use the hell out of it, then sell it for 20% off what you paid. You will have easily gotten your money's worth and will then be more knowledgeable about what you REALLY need.

I originally bought an Atlas bi-pod for my AICS stock but ended up returning it. One of the legs I found when extended would spin freely while the other one held tightly between the outer and inner pieces. It caused the leg to be slightly wobbly which I could not accept. Other than that problem it seems pretty stout. Unfortunately its going to take some time to get another one since they're out of stock at most places. Not sure if any of you owners experienced a similar problem.