• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Are truck prices finally falling?

Ram is getting pretty aggressive with mark-downs, since Stellantis appears to be entering the middle stage of circling the drain.

I see some modest discounts of 10% on GM and Ford MY2024 trucks. Keep in mind these are about to turn one year old, so the discount may less than the depreciation hit. Not a big deal if you're keeping it for the long run, but possibly a big deal for those that like to trade in every few years.

My impression is that there are better deals yet to come.

Helping a buddy look for a new truck. I went into this thinking there were no deals to be had. After some research I’m thinking if he waits a few more months he might find some deals.

How are things looking in your area?

Prices are still fucking high but sales are way down. Not just trucks but houses, guns, tools, I've got a nice delta table saw for sale that was 3k new and I'll be lucky to get 2k for it. Back when things were hopping under Trump it would've been 2500 sold in a week.

Prices are still outrageous from what I have seen. Example, I saw a new 2024 Tundra in the showroom of my local dealer the other day for $78K. It did not have any dealer markups or other bullshit. Straight up $78K for a truck that by all rights should be no more than $50K-$55K. I paid $37K for my previous gen. Tundra that is unquestionably better built and has a more reliable, proven powertrain (V8 vs turbo V6). Manufacturer's and dealers got greedy during Covid seeing that people would pay their insane prices because they had little choice. No sane person today would pay these prices for crap quality and inferior parts to what was available just 5 years ago. I have no plans to replace my 10+ year old vehicles at these ridiculous prices with inferior quality to boot.

I've been seeing some "sale ads" for Ford and Toyota on the local stations, with 3.9% and even some 0% financing, so they are wanting to clear out the 2024 MY's since the '25's are on the way, or close to being shipped. Sept used to be the month for dealers to clear out the current year inventory since the new MY was on the way.

Reactions: lash and BCP
I dont know if prices/rebates will be better as the year goes on, but interest rates I believe will have one more cut this year so something to think about.

BUT I see most manufacturers are offering either 0% or some other fairly low rate so IMO if your buddy finds a truck he likes and the deal seems "pretty good" then I wouldnt wait personally... I've bought vehicles all throughout the last few years though and "generally" come out pretty good. I've never paid any of the stupid mark ups and found a few pretty good deals out there on both price and APR.

There are no shortage of dealerships either especially if you live in or close to a large city. I see you live in Yuma, you might not have the plethora of dealerships we have in DFW. Dont be afraid to travel for a vehicle either if your buddy doesnt have a trade in. There are a few well known dealerships for every brand out there across the country that sell at cut rate pricing. Search the forums.

I dont know if prices/rebates will be better as the year goes on, but interest rates I believe will have one more cut this year so something to think about.

BUT I see most manufacturers are offering either 0% or some other fairly low rate so IMO if your buddy finds a truck he likes and the deal seems "pretty good" then I wouldnt wait personally... I've bought vehicles all throughout the last few years though and "generally" come out pretty good. I've never paid any of the stupid mark ups and found a few pretty good deals out there on both price and APR.

There are no shortage of dealerships either especially if you live in or close to a large city. I see you live in Yuma, you might not have the plethora of dealerships we have in DFW. Dont be afraid to travel for a vehicle either if your buddy doesnt have a trade in. There are a few well known dealerships for every brand out there across the country that sell at cut rate pricing. Search the forums.

He was mentioning better pricing in TX. Everything is 200k+ mileage on these used Alumiduty 2017+

No trade and he flys a lot already so what’s one more flight.

You couldn't pay me to buy a new truck at these prices.

Especially with how many of them are complete pieces of shit.
yIKES!.PNG

"Last year, Ford spent $4.8 billion fixing customers’ cars. Early this year, the automaker held some 60,000 redesigned F-150 pickup trucks in lots around Detroit for extra quality checks. Chief Executive Officer Jim Farley said that helped the company avoid 12 recalls and said that would be the process going forward for all new models."

And I'm not picking on Ford. Stellantis is doing their best to take the crown!

I just went the other direction. Have a 2011 Tundra Rock Warrior and just picked up a 2003 Lexus GX470 from the original owner. Cool elderly couple from Romania who immigrated here with their kids in 1981 to escape communism. We had some interesting conversations.
I always liked the 470/460 and if I didn't need a truck would love to grab one.

Truck prices are insane. I thought I was in the market until I started looking at them. I'll keep putting money into my '13 until it croaks at this point.

I bought that truck in '17, so four years old, with 32k miles for $33k. I priced out the same thing on autotrader the other day (4 YO, similar mileage, same amenities) and cheapest on there was $47k. So $14k MORE to buy THE SAME THING. Insane.

I'll put a new motor in this thing if I have to.

View attachment 8508631

"Last year, Ford spent $4.8 billion fixing customers’ cars. Early this year, the automaker held some 60,000 redesigned F-150 pickup trucks in lots around Detroit for extra quality checks. Chief Executive Officer Jim Farley said that helped the company avoid 12 recalls and said that would be the process going forward for all new models."

And I'm not picking on Ford. Stellantis is doing their best to take the crown!

So just to put something in perspective...

First Stelantis sucks...

2nd... Ford built/sold 2 million vehicles in 2023. Stelantis sold 1.5 million. BMW NA built/sold 365k vehicles in the USA in 2023. Hyundai sold 870k... I could go on... So as a percentage of sales BMW is fucking atrocious...

And Forest River, while they are big I cant imagine they are building over 100k units a year in the USA... Them being in 3rd place in recalls is HORRIBLE...

He was mentioning better pricing in TX. Everything is 200k+ mileage on these used Alumiduty 2017+

No trade and he flys a lot already so what’s one more flight.

I bought my SuperDuty from Bill Fick in Huntsville. They are the largest SuperDuty dealer in the USA. 2 other dealers that do good deals is Granger Ford in Iowa and Chapman Ford in the North East.

GMC seems to be Laura Buick/GMC outside of St. Louis.

I didnt look much at Ram's, but there is a dealer down in Lake Charles, Mark Dodge.... I called down there on a truck they had on the lot, but couldnt seem to get anybody to really call me back. Sales guy said "im closing out a sale right now, call you later" and he never did. I wasnt SUPER interested in the truck so I didnt really follow up.

I remain unconvinced that I need a $100k truck that will need $10k in repairs if it happens to get a bad tank of diesel.

Thats why I did the 7.3 in my SuperDuty... Same everything else as the diesel, without any of the headache and 8500 less cost... I am convinced that the gas motors would be the ideal motor for the vast majority of 3/4-1T truck users... but its not diesel so it doesnt help increase the size of your dick.

Hell a 1/2 ton truck is likely overkill for a ton of 3/4-1T truck buyers...

Last edited:
Thats why I did the 7.3 in my SuperDuty... Same everything else as the diesel, without any of the headache and 8500 less cost... I am convinced that the gas motors would be the ideal motor for the vast majority of 3/4-1T truck users... but its not diesel so it doesnt help increase the size of your dick.

Hell a 1/2 ton truck is likely overkill for a ton of 3/4-1T truck buyers...
I’m a gasser guy. I’ve spent enough time turning wrenches for a living on newer and new diesel powered equipment that I don’t want much to do with them. When it’s time I hope Ford has the lifter and camshaft eating figured out so I can buy a Superduty. Living in the land of salt, I’m going aluminum for my next one. It has its issues also but my 2011 Silverado 2500 has 80k miles on it and it’s fukn rusty is places it shouldn’t be. GM fukd the pooch on those years.

When it’s time I hope Ford has the lifter and camshaft eating figured out so I can buy a Superduty.

MOST of those have been in the chassis cabs that are detuned and that do a lot of idling. And I THINK for 2023 they "fixed" either the lifter or cam, not sure which in all the engines. Dont hear of many 23's that have lifter/cam issues. 23 has different ecu program than 20-22. MUCH better trans programming also in the 23+.

Ford recently(maybe 6-8 months ago) put out a TSB for a reprogram that bumped the oil pressure up at idle since the 7.3 has an electronically controlled oil pump. I think anybody COULD get it done, but mostly was aimed at the chassis cab(detuned) trucks that idle a lot. I would BET that 23+ trucks have that tune from the factory. I dont remember if the TSB was even aimed at the 23+ trucks or only applicable to 20-22 trucks.

Reactions: godofthunder
I custom ordered a 2024 Ram 1500 Rebel GT on Nov 24, 2023 from Mark Dodge, in Lake Charles, LA. I shopped three dealers in my local area around Pittsburgh, PA and none could even touch the deal I got from the team at Mark Dodge, that's even considering the cost to drive from PA to LA and back, since I traded my 2020 Wrangler Rubicon I needed to make the trip. They would also pick you up at a local airport or deliver it up to 250 miles away at no additional cost. At the end of the day, with all discounts I got 20.4% off MSRP. No haggling. I was very pleased with that price. Mark Dodge is known as the gold standard as far as Ram dealerships go.

It was delivered to their dealership on Dec 28, 2023. I picked it up on Jan 13, 2024 and drove it home. I did all the paperwork online prior to picking it up so the day of delivery it was just a short inspection and I signed one last piece of paper and I was out the door. A few weeks later the PA license plate and registration showed up in the mail. They worked with a messenger service in PA to handle that. It was the smoothest and most pain-free vehicle purchase in my life.

2024 Ram Rebel GT.jpg

I bought a new F250, with the 7.3L gasser, this time last year and it galled me to pay sticker. I've always gotten 20%-25% off sticker, but everyone else was getting a $5k premium, over sticker. I drove nearly 600 miles to Nashville, TN to get the truck. I'll drive the wheels off of it, before I replace it. I figure I'll have to pay for this truck and two more before I cash my chips. There are no good deals on new or used trucks in NW Louisiana.

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI