• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

At a loss here!

So like the other factory ammo that isn’t problematic the original number I quoted only varies maybe .001 when rolled in that spot. The problematic factory ammo varies almost .008 one almost .010. Like there’s a bump, swell or something there

Reactions: KZP
So like the other factory ammo that isn’t problematic the original number I quoted only varies maybe .001 when rolled in that spot. The problematic factory ammo varies almost .008 one almost .010. Like there’s a bump, swell or something there

When you pulled the bullets, was the inside of the case mouth chamfered pretty good or rough?

I’d almost be willing to bet that to get that kind of thing, the machine has to have been set up incorrectly. Brass is only so hard. Are the bullets boat-tails? Are there flakes of copper shaved off the bullets you’ve pulled? Gouges?

As a boat tail goes in to the case mouth, it is shaped like an expander mandrel…the reason no one bells the case mouth like we do on straight walled pistol cases with flat base bullets. Even if the neck is undersized considerably, there’s just nothing to generate enough force to buckle the case wall…assuming the bullet starts out straight in the mouth…and as the brass expands, it’s elastic, to a point, and then deforms (permanently expands) to the new, fatter diameter. There’s only so much neck tension available from the springy-ness of brass. So, was the seating machine bumping the top of the cases? Was the bullet started off to one side enough to impact the mouth-rim?

I don’t think they’re dangerous but it is weird.

I'm guessing the cases are annealed to be very soft, mouth isn't chamfered enough, factory bullet seating squished whole shoulder. I'm surprised pulling the bullets reshaped it that much. But then again I never measured mine when I pull.

Reactions: OREGUN
I'm guessing the cases are annealed to be very soft, mouth isn't chamfered enough, factory bullet seating squished whole shoulder. I'm surprised pulling the bullets reshaped it that much. But then again I never measured mine when I pull.

in looking at the pictures where he sharpied it. the necks look like they were never deburred with a tool:

The weight of the bullet/powder slamming in the inertia hammer must be enough to straighten out that shoulder junction just enough to eliminate the interference. If the necks were super tight at seating, maybe the cases squashed a touch at that junction? Just throwing things....
It’s either that or the rim. He’s using an inertia puller which may be flattening some upturned rims. OP, did you try this with the extractor removed yet?

Removing the extractor was a no go as well. Cases do not appear to have been chamfered or deburred. After a very speedy initial contact by the mfg, I ran into some trouble. After a week of trying to get a hold of someone, THE person finally called and said they are sending a pre-paid label (not until 9/7 or 9/8 due to the holiday). So replacement will be slow at this rate. For those who are wondering, the mfg is Nosler.