• Today we celebrate America. Happy 4th!

Thank you to all the vets and Americans out there and if you were a vet, share your stories below! We're also offering a 15% discount on all subscriptions with code AMERICA24

Share your story Subscribe

Atlas CAL/BT10/PSR- Who owns them? What do you prefer?

hafejd30

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2019
    MI
    Been doing some research on Bipod and I was set on an atlas but after seeing some people talking about slop in the bt10/psr that I originally wanted I’m not so sure my mind is made

I’m mostly wondering what you prefer

I currently run a leg notch Harris with pod loc and it works great. I shoot in alfalfa fields in the summer and have had the legs hook and close while attempting to turn the bipod without lifting it etc. So I’m looking for something more sturdy

This will be for a 300 WM approximately 15-18 lbs and a 50 cal (38 lbs). I’d prefer as little flex as possible be it back/forth/up/down etc. I want solid and prefer stuff that feels overbuilt.

Weight is not a factor. I will not be using for prs or other comps. Just set it up for hunting/target shooting/long range. Will not see a lot of movement once set up.

I don’t want to spend $500 on one. Like to keep in this price range if I can.

Last edited:
    I have a G2 CAL. I’m definitely not going to be purchasing the GG&G. I will purchase another CAL if I need another bipod any time soon.

I don’t like to make definitive statements or reply when I don’t have experience with a product that’s being asked about, but in this case I would not consider GG&G on the same level as Atlas. Just my opinion.

Reactions: hafejd30
    I will be getting a quick detach if that helps for comparison. The GGG I have now will loosen up like the Harris does after several rounds. Just had a wing nut

Im assuming you mean the 5H. To be honest the GGG on the 50 will probably serve it well as is. Just thinking if one of these can handle the weight I’d use it for that as well. I don’t want to buy a Bipod that’s insanely large. That one looks pretty wide

I do want a wider platform than the Harris has. Heavy rifles tend to be tippy on the Harris.

I see a lot of CAL Atlas Bipods being sold here in last few months. Some people even saying they prefer the Harris for the type of shooting that’s similar to what I’ll be doing. So maybe the Harris is best for me but wouldn’t mind trying another brand.

I’m thinking the 65 may be a bit low even for what I want. Not sure what height is added with the quick detach etc compared to my 9-13” harris

Not sure if these will help but here is proned out, in a weird positions, and on the bench with the legs in different positions and angles:

2CADE9B0-7770-4EA7-ADDA-3D15B4F69438.png

357CF21A-8E54-45B9-BFD9-4005A331A11F.jpeg

C0757A62-1FE9-46F2-BECE-707832A13325.png

5F86D070-922B-4107-86B0-74CDD3774B8E.jpeg

I still have my Harris, but in my opinion the CAL is too awesome to not have. I’m not brand loyal, it’s just an awesome bipod. If you’re in the NW Arkansas area or Oklahoma etc you’re more than welcome to come down or meet up and try it out. Mine isn’t the quick detach, just direct mount.

Awesome thank you for the pics. That doesn’t look as low as 4.75”-9” sounds. I know my 6-9 Harris is great for prone but to short for grass.

I’m in Upper Michigan or I would take you up on that in a heartbeat. I don’t know of anyone or any store nearby that would have one or even know what I’m talking about.

What Harris do you have? If it’s the 9-13” how does 13” Harris compare in height to the 65 in your pics. I know anything above 13” proned out with the Harris and I go to sitting Bipods/Tripods because it gets to tall to comfortably lay behind.

Reactions: bourbonbent
    So I changed the title to this thread after finding a really good video on YouTube comparing the Atlas Bipods height and the awesome info and pics bourbonbent provided above.

I realize the standard height Atlas are right in line with what I want. The 7-13” would actually be to tall. So I’ll change my question as I’m certain my next Bipod will be the Atlas, but which one?

THE NEW QUESTION: Those that have the psr and bt10, what is your opinion on the panning feature? I like everything about the bt65 better than the 10/psr. Only consideration at this point is the panning feature worth it? Does it cause the bipod to be “sloppy” when not tightened down? How loose does it actually have to be in order to use the pan feature effectively, in other words can I pan smoothly without the rifle wanting to cant? Or can it support itself well while panning?

If I use it I don’t want to tighten down the canting only to loose my ability to pan. But I don’t want to pan only to have to hold the rifle level. I hope this makes sense???

I guess it’s more of multiple questions but I want to get my purchase right the first time.

Thank you

Last edited:
    The TBAC and MDT are a bit more than I want to spend just fyi as I know those will be suggested. I believe the accu tac is another consideration. But again pricey. If you have these and really think they’re worth the coin please suggest anyways as I’ll consider them.

FYI: I do currently own 5 Harris Bipods. 2 - 13-27, 2 9-13, 1 6-9”. I also own a Sinclair which is what the 5H reminds me of. Awesome for target shooting but way to big for field use. So for me the 5H is out of consideration

Last edited:
    I'm not a fan of the panning feature at all.. I've had the bipod start to move on uneven terrain for a multiple shot string and begin to lose stability.

The CAL solves my complaints with the PSR/BT10 and is IMO worth the selection over legacy BT bipods.

Awesome thank you for the pics. That doesn’t look as low as 4.75”-9” sounds. I know my 6-9 Harris is great for prone but to short for grass.

I’m in Upper Michigan or I would take you up on that in a heartbeat. I don’t know of anyone or any store nearby that would have one or even know what I’m talking about.

What Harris do you have? If it’s the 9-13” how does 13” Harris compare in height to the 65 in your pics. I know anything above 13” proned out with the Harris and I go to sitting Bipods/Tripods because it gets to tall to comfortably lay behind.
    I bought my Atlas from E-bay and they had a 30 return policy.

I use my gen2 CAL 99% of the time but I keep my bt10 in my pack for stages that require a more narrow bipod stance. That's the only time it comes out of the pack. The CAL is superior in every other way.

Thank you guys. This is the info I was looking for. Seems it’s a pretty easy decision from here.

No offense Airgunshawn but if I buy an Atlas I’ll be buying from a reputable dealer. To easy to get a fake buying from places like eBay. I’ve seen several threads on here that raised concern with the mods over fakes being sold

If I’m buying Atlas I want to make damn sure I’m getting Atlas. Same with Harris etc. I’ve bought the cheap copy’s of Harris before. Not one of those is left In one piece, the real Harris’s are still solid as day 1

I have family up there, beautiful country! We’ve talked about buying some land up there.

I have a Harris BRM-S. I also have a KAC panning QD adapter for it, but don’t use it for a number of reasons. The Harris still has a place in my gear, but like you said it’s got its limitations. I just don’t like panning bipods. I thought I would, was convinced of it, but turned out to just be a pain in the ass for me personally.

I have the same problem here, tall grass and the addition of mountains and all that. I like having the bipod for when I can use it, but most of my shooting is off improvised positions and tripods just to get y’all enough to see what I’m shooting at. The CAL does manage to get it high enough in most cases as long as I build my shooting position in the right place.

I find the ability to make the legs on the Atlas bipods so all sorts of Gumby shit more useful than a panning feature, my shooting buddy has a panning Atlas and it’s good on a gas gun or something that needs to be narrow and pan, like maybe coyote shooting in a field or something, but even then the CAL doesn’t slow me down. It’s so rigid it just rips the earth up and pivots with the rifle. I treat it bad, and he’s notoriously destructive with everything, and so far he’s managed to break the rubber feet off his older Atlas (can’t remember all the models, the one right before the PSR without the non rotating legs) and that’s about it.

Looks like I will be going with the CAL!!

As I previously stated with my Harris, it is a great Bipod with its place in my hunting pack but has a few limits.

My biggest gripes are that with “taller” rifles especially on uneven surfaces it becomes tippy. Yes I have hooked the rifle with the cord on my Binoculars and flipped the gun into the dirt while in a rush.

The other is you have to pick the front of the gun up to even make the slightest adjustment. Otherwise you either get where one leg folds or begins to fold, making the stance of the bipod narrower yet and causing resistance due to the springs. Or you lift after beginning to turn and the bipod leg “pings” back into place.

I’m using spiked feet on the Harris so the only give when turning the rifle is in the leg springs unless you lift it off the ground. At least with something sturdy you can lift just one side, turn it, set back down, without getting spring tension on the leg in contact with the ground.

That said I don’t plan to sell my Harris. It doesn’t have its place

Where do you guys buy your Atlas from?

I was going to go through midway but if we have SH advertisers that sell the atlas that you guys recommend I’ll take a look at their prices as well

Where do you guys buy your Atlas from?

I was going to go through midway but if we have SH advertisers that sell the atlas that you guys recommend I’ll take a look at their prices as well
    I'm a new fan of the CAL. I had PSR's on all my rifles until I tried the CAL. I now hate the panning feature. The CAL is hard to beat for the price range right now I think. I bought mine from Mile High. Becareful looking at places like Amazon and Ebay etc since there are a lot of fakes being sold as B&T brand products, but they're not.

I'm a new fan of the CAL. I had PSR's on all my rifles until I tried the CAL. I now hate the panning feature. The CAL is hard to beat for the price range right now I think. I bought mine from Mile High. Becareful looking at places like Amazon and Ebay etc since there are a lot of fakes being sold as B&T brand products, but they're not.

Thank you. I referenced airgunshawns post above already as he suggested eBay. I will only buy from a reputable dealer for this as it seems the amount of fakes out there are pretty high. Last thing I want it to buy a good Bipod, or so I think, and be back here in a month because it crapped out.

Thank you everyone for the feedback

Reactions: Mike4837
    I purchased my Atlas CAL from accu-shot.com, you can’t get more reputable than the manufacturers website! I have to say you will not be disappointed with the bipod. Switching to this bipod has been a complete game changer for me, I really wish I got one sooner. Even down to the packaging everything was great and their customer service is excellent.

I had a PSR for a while. It's a great bipod, if you have a use for the panning function. I never needed it and found that it was more of a hassle when you loosened the tension to adjust cant. Now I have a Gen 2 Cal with an area 419 arca clamp and love it. It's everything I liked about the PSR with none of the down side. As an added bonus the cant is easier to adjust with he lever as well.