• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Precision Rifle Gear Atlas PRS bipod tuning

Near miss

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2019
    Finland
    Hello,

I would like to get some solid information about how to make the Atlas PRS bipod perform like new or better. At the moment the knob makes a sound when tightened and this really is not a good thing when moving.

I might be shooting from any level surface to natural surfaces that never are in level. So for my use, I would prefer to switch between very stiff to just stiff with a turn of a knob.

I decided to do this by myself because I live far, far away from Atlas shop and the knob is in loose condition from years of use.

Here is what I know from having already read about this issue and then applied them just few minutes ago:
    -The plastic cover is in place by friction and can be just pried off
    -The first nut is in left hand treads
    -The second nut is in right hand treads

Can somebody tell me:
    -What does the first nut do? It looks like I can improve the bipod just by tightening it but it still leaves the knob to be very freely moving and wobbly. So it looks like the washers are too worn out and need replacement or one more added there.

-What does the second nut do? Because it was not tight either and I assumed it was supposed to connect the whole thing to the base. -Just noticed the knob adjusts the second nut.

-Do I oil the washers or not? They were quite oily when I took them apart.

Attachments

• 20240914_155047.jpg
      20240914_155047.jpg
      566.2 KB · Views: 51
    I ended up placing one of the washers facing outwards to take up more space and tightening the screw. It brought some new life to the bipod.
    Oh and I also removed lubricant from the washers with a piece of paper. I did not use any solvents, so there remained just a coat of oil instead of squeky clean.

It still cants. It just doesn’t pan. You level rifle the same you would with any bipod that cants.
    You just don’t have to fuck with the legs that roll or the pan that doesn’t lock without a tool.
    I did not know cal cants also. But it might be a bit too much for a 223?
    I do not use panning usually, but when I do, it is very nice since the legs dig into dirt and then getting to the next target demands either panning or bipod reposition and it is harder to make small movements as the bipod will tend to drop down to the old holes.

Oh and I also removed lubricant from the washers with a piece of paper. I did not use any solvents, so there remained just a coat of oil instead of squeky clean.

I did not know cal cants also. But it might be a bit too much for a 223?
    I do not use panning usually, but when I do, it is very nice since the legs dig into dirt and then getting to the next target demands either panning or bipod reposition and it is harder to make small movements as the bipod will tend to drop down to the old holes.
    Atlas CaL- Cant and Lock…

They could make the bipod locking with a springed plunger that would press against the knob from the inside or against the side of knob.

The bipod setting lasts quite well when tightened up, but when set to semi-stiff and it gets to move (pan) it starts to loosen up fast. This actually means I have to increase the minimum tightness to have better usability, does anyone have a good recipe for this?

I think panning is a useless feature. If you are panning across a range or target array, with the pivot point way out in front of your body, you are either drastically changing your NPOA or you have to pick up and move your body to accommodate the new direction of fire to maintain NPOA. If you don't pan, instead pick up the rifle and set it down on the new gun target line to maintain NPOA without having to move your body.

We have ranges where the targets are spread very wide so to communicate a target to my shooter already requires panning to the base point if nothing else works. It is not unusual to give 20 mil to right or more when there is nothing particular showing up in the terrain to work from.

Another that I know people do on cals is shooting on moving target but I have so far only used tripod for that. But I am sure it is more likely to work better with pan feature. You guys still have pan in your tripod right?

Indexing targets across a wide range fan isn't necessarily the same thing as panning on a bipod.

Panning on a tripod is different than panning on a bipod based on where, geometrically, you mount the rifle in the tripod and the fact that the tripod supports the rifle at a higher ratio to your body than does the ratio of the bipod compared to your body. So it makes more sense to reposition your body around the tripod than it does repositioning your body around a panning bipod.

Shooting movers is about 2% of recreational shooters use case and panning isn't necessarily required for movers. Ambushing vs tracking. It's also highly dependent on distance to the target and how wide a "front" the target is moving on. You can also just not dig your bipod legs hard into the dirt and shift the feet slightly. Generations of shooters learned to shoot movers on harris bipods. And they shot more movers than civilians do.

But I can see why Atlas PSR owners load their bipod legs. Because they are dog shit bipods with a ton of fore and aft slop. Shooting neutral legs on a PSR sucks. But when you start using better bipods with stiffer leg support shooting neutral leg load makes more sense.

At the end of the day, the PSR is an outdated bipod and when put in the line up of the CAL, CkyePod, Accutac, elite iron and so on it's the worse option. I would prefer a Harris over the PSR. If panning is important to you, the CkyePod offers that function but the vast majority (everyone?) I know that shoots a CkyePod just locks the panning feature out.

Very I shoot a lot on concrete (no bowkills though) and as I have spiked feet that are worn out, I shoot it always without loading, by habit.

I really think the PSR is quite stiff but still very usable for wide range of applications. I think one friend got the ckyepod for free. We tried it and he sold it off quite fast. I am open to suggestions but I really would like to stick with PSR for some time.