• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Axiom vs Vector Curtis Actions

Maxim0

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2018
I have not found a good thread on the differences between these two yet. But the main item I've taken off of the reviews is the Vector should be better for switching barrels/calibers. If anyone has any other input on whether to get an axiom or wait for a vector let me know. Will be changing barrels often and really don't want to take the scope off.

Thanks!

Reactions: padom
Vector also has the integral lug and integral rail. along with the switch lug type feature.
its kind of like the difference between a defiance Rebel and Defiance Deviant (minus the switch feature)
Is the deviant able to switch barrels easily without taking off scope? Really just looking for a highquality action that allows for caliber/barrel swap without a gunsmith and more so without taking off scope

Not from the factory. I think the Vector is closest thing for you other than an AI or DT SRS. There are options to add the Barloc to your action but I would recommend taking the scope off for a barrel swap. The Vector set screw system is quite simple and you could leave the scope on I suppose.
You leave your optics on for a barrel nut or Barloc type system but I would caution against it.

Is the deviant able to switch barrels easily without taking off scope? Really just looking for a highquality action that allows for caliber/barrel swap without a gunsmith and more so without taking off scope

Vector is an option. I have one at a smith. I’ll write up something once I have time to run it a bit.

With the switchlug and barloc, any action can now be done so you can do quick change stuff.

Not from the factory. I think the Vector is closest thing for you other than an AI or DT SRS. There are options to add the Barloc to your action but I would recommend taking the scope off for a barrel swap. The Vector set screw system is quite simple and you could leave the scope on I suppose.
You leave your optics on for a barrel nut or Barloc type system but I would caution against it.

Any particular reason you’d advise taking the optic off? Haven’t owned one with a lug or barloc, but ones I’ve messed with had no issues with the optic in way.

Just a personal preference, generally not a fan of torqueing things nearly the objective bell. It can most certainly be done. Depending on the reason for the quick change, i.e. swap between calibers or a DIY replacement you're going to have to rezero anyway.
If its just switching between calibers often then I get the reasoning behind leaving the optic on as you can have the dope for both.

Last edited:

Any rifle is a switch barrel rifle.

I use shouldered barrels on my rifles and swap between 6BRA and 6.5 Creedmoor all the time.

All you need is an action wrench, torque wrench, barrel vice and 5 minutes (and a little anti-seize compound for the threads).

I have a Vector and two Axioms, they are both fantastic actions! Just built a rifle the other day with a new Axiom. All mine are used for PRS so they get ran pretty hard. Rain, mud, dust, hot or cold, these actions have ran like sewing machines.

They both (vector and Axiom) feel the same, which is super smooth, and they are both one hundred percent reliable with a few thousand rounds down them. At this point I cant imagine owning an action that doesn't have the 60 degree bolt throw.

The main benefit in the vector is the ability to swap barrels easily. And yes you can leave the same scope on the rifle. The vector incorporate some aspects into the design to make it even more bulletproof, but with that said I've had no issues with my Axiom.

Here's a pic of my vector with three Dasher barrels, getting 308 and a 6.5x47 chambered soon.

IMG_20180827_171104367.jpg

Here is pic of the Axiom in my newest rifle, a Foundation micarta stock, 6.5x47, TT diamond, Bushnell XRS 2..

IMG_20190124_140906042.jpg

IMG_20190125_135822040.jpg

Last edited:
A TL3 will do it without a Barloc or Switchlug. So far it seems any set up that needs a small set screw to be torqued to the right amount doesn't seem to return to zero very well. If I used a Vector, I would just torque the barrel on at 40 ftlbs and not mess with their set screw.

Unless you’re putting flats on the barrel or just going hand tight, how does a tl3 let you remove the barrel without a vice and action wrench?

Didn't say they couldn't. Why you trying to pick a fight? (But even a Remington 700 without an integral or even pinned lug? Really?)

1: he asked about two specific actions

2: he then said he wanted something simple. Now he needs crows foot and a ft/lb wrench.

Not picking a fight. Just attempting to make sure he knows his options.

Simply stating “you can do it with a tl3” and not giving him details doesn’t help him.

Don't get in a hissy. Read the rest of the post . I also addressed the Vector. My post is directed at the locking device specifically the fact that you are better off without them, not the action. And I didn't mention a crowsfoot did I? See picture. Use a crescent wrench, or is that too specialized?

And why are you better off without them? You a better engineer than Ted?

You said 40 lbs, now you’re using a crescent wrench. Which is it, guessing or using 40 lbs? Either works fine, but when you start throwing around specific lbs, then yes, you need a torque wrench.

It’s not a hissy when people point out you’re being more confusing that you need be. Happening in several threads with you.

Not to mention you took an hour to post the pics after it was asked you specify.

I like the idea of the vector. I really like the idea of switch barrel without a Barloc or Switchlug set up as I just not fond of the look. But like mentioned, I guess If you have an action wrench and barrel vice, then any action can be a switch barrel

Reactions: Yowzilla
I’ve been using a Vector after coming from an AXMC and I’ve got 2 barrels for it. 6br and 6.5prc. Super easy to swap barrels. I’ve found, if you re torque everything the same way each time, the zero offsets are repeatable. I only torque the set screws to 15in/lbs and it’s great.
Also love the fact that you can use AW mags. To me that’s a huge benefit. Seen more than enough people get aics and other mags jammed up on a prop and not feed. AW’s just run true.

I’ve been using a Vector after coming from an AXMC and I’ve got 2 barrels for it. 6br and 6.5prc. Super easy to swap barrels. I’ve found, if you re torque everything the same way each time, the zero offsets are repeatable. I only torque the set screws to 15in/lbs and it’s great.
Also love the fact that you can use AW mags. To me that’s a huge benefit. Seen more than enough people get aics and other mags jammed up on a prop and not feed. AW’s just run true.

How’s the vector for feed/extract 6br?

I’m looking for a similar configuration but 6.5cm and 6mm dasher.

Just picked up my vector today and just a quick glance, I noticed there is a substantial amount of grease in the action and firing pin housing. My question is will it be better to remove the grease and put a light oil on it or run grease in the firing pin?

I just Caved to the impact. Main reason being the bolt throw. All other rifles I’ve shot are a 90 and I was concerned about getting used to the 60 and then having issues with the other rifles I shoot.

I do wish the impact has the easier to use barrel swap though. Vector seems amazingly simple and quick while requiring tools I already bring to the range. I dont even know where to get a barrel wrench for the impact yet lol

I just Caved to the impact. Main reason being the bolt throw. All other rifles I’ve shot are a 90 and I was concerned about getting used to the 60 and then having issues with the other rifles I shoot.

I do wish the impact has the easier to use barrel swap though. Vector seems amazingly simple and quick while requiring tools I already bring to the range. I dont even know where to get a barrel wrench for the impact yet lol

Good choice.

Barrel swaps are easy with a shouldered barrel. I would look at ZAP tools for an action wrench.

I’m loving my vector so far. Currently a 6.5 PRC and just picked up a .308 bolt. Will likely go down to a 6mm creed or possibly 22 BR.

E8821F67-F3E6-4738-80FD-59129C810ACE.jpeg

It has fed extremely well so far and has been a joy to shoot. I feel I’m not doing it justice without another barrel. It will likely get a proof 300wsm next year also.

Just picked up my Vector this morning and should have my proof barrel tomorrow, and off to the gunsmith it goes. First impressions are that it is a very robust action, as of right now it does seem very tight on the bolt lift, which I am sure will smooth out the more cycle the action. I did put the action in my manners stock and noticed that the bolt would not cycle since it was hitting the feed lips of my AI mag, so going to purchase an AW mag and try it out. Really looking forward to the quick change capabilities since I would like to shoot 6.5cm and .223.

Reactions: Velocity Chad
Just picked up my Vector this morning and should have my proof barrel tomorrow, and off to the gunsmith it goes. First impressions are that it is a very robust action, as of right now it does seem very tight on the bolt lift, which I am sure will smooth out the more cycle the action. I did put the action in my manners stock and noticed that the bolt would not cycle since it was hitting the feed lips of my AI mag, so going to purchase an AW mag and try it out. Really looking forward to the quick change capabilities since I would like to shoot 6.5cm and .223.

You’ll probably have to do some fitting for the AW mag. File a little off the mag catch. I had to on my KMW and my Manners

Reactions: Nouseforaname01
I have a Vector and two Axioms, they are both fantastic actions! Just built a rifle the other day with a new Axiom. All mine are used for PRS so they get ran pretty hard. Rain, mud, dust, hot or cold, these actions have ran like sewing machines.

They both (vector and Axiom) feel the same, which is super smooth, and they are both one hundred percent reliable with a few thousand rounds down them. At this point I cant imagine owning an action that doesn't have the 60 degree bolt throw.

The main benefit in the vector is the ability to swap barrels easily. And yes you can leave the same scope on the rifle. The vector incorporate some aspects into the design to make it even more bulletproof, but with that said I've had no issues with my Axiom.

Here's a pic of my vector with three Dasher barrels, getting 308 and a 6.5x47 chambered soon.

View attachment 7013610

Here is pic of the Axiom in my newest rifle, a Foundation micarta stock, 6.5x47, TT diamond, Bushnell XRS 2..

View attachment 7013613

View attachment 7013615
Nice looking rifles! Do you use the set screw or regular torque no your setups?

On my vector the way their chambered is just slightly beyond hand tight. This is how the gunsmith did it, I had planned on hand tightening them and using the set screw. I've heard from several others that it is very repeatable as long as you use the same amount of torque on each set screw.

On my vector the way their chambered is just slightly beyond hand tight. This is how the gunsmith did it, I had planned on hand tightening them and using the set screw. I've heard from several others that it is very repeatable as long as you use the same amount of torque on each set screw.

Mine has been repeatable at 15/in lbs with hand tight

I've been running a couple of Axiom since their initial run and got a Vector a few months back and they have been great. 10 in/lbs for me on the Vector.

Gotta hand it to Curtis. The Vector barrel install is stupid simple. I did just pick up an Impact after waffling back and forth between Vector and Impact, but I could easily see myself with a Vector in coming months if bolt throw is smooth/light like other 90deg 700 variants. The Axiom I've played with was pretty light and smooth, but just couldn't step away from 90deg yet.

I am coming from a couple of bighorns, defiance deviant, and recently an impact that I actually just fondled and never shot, my question is will the vector bolt lift get easier as it breaks in. I feel like it takes a good amount of bolt lift and feels like it slams shut.

I am coming from a couple of bighorns, defiance deviant, and recently an impact that I actually just fondled and never shot, my question is will the vector bolt lift get easier as it breaks in. I feel like it takes a good amount of bolt lift and feels like it slams shut.
from my understanding it will most likely never be 2 lug smooth, i dont have mine in a stock/chassis or a barrel on it right now so it is hard to tell how it will feel in that setting as opposed to playing with it as an action alone. I have a couple Deviants and interested to see how it compares.

Reactions: Nouseforaname01

You can use the small defiance action wrench. I believe it is the .700 size. You can use any quality barrel vise.

Reactions: Maxim0
Another happy owner of Curtis vector here. Holds zero all day with hand tight and set screw method after 900 rounds and couple matches. When the action was new the bolt lift was harder than my tikka t3, after 300+ dry fire and cycling it got noticeably lighter, then after 900 rounds fired through now it is lighter than my tikka t3. The bolt lift on extraction on the Curtis actions are so crisp compare to my tikka, also I noticed When I close the bolt I don’t have to use force to push the bolt down, all I had to do is push the bolt forward and the caming will assist the bolt to drop down.

Another happy owner of Curtis vector here. Holds zero all day with hand tight and set screw method after 900 rounds and couple matches. When the action was new the bolt lift was harder than my tikka t3, after 300+ dry fire and cycling it got noticeably lighter, then after 900 rounds fired through now it is lighter than my tikka t3. The bolt lift on extraction on the Curtis actions are so crisp compare to my tikka, also I noticed When I close the bolt I don’t have to use force to push the bolt down, all I had to do is push the bolt forward and the caming will assist the bolt to drop down.
Nice to hear. I am on the wait list for one. I am upgrading from an Axiom.

Have you done much as far as swapping barrels back and forth?

I have about 900 rounds on my Vector between my 6cm and 308 barrel. I have probably taken the barrels off about 50 times. I want to run comps with the 6cm and then practice with the 308. From talking with Joel, he says the set screws are not even necessary, I just hand tighten them. I have had no issues with taking the barrels off by hand even after a couple hundred rounds. I am generally within 1moa everytime I change the barrel from one caliber to another. The 308 hits 1.75mil higher than the 6cm. I run AW mags, which the Vector is designed for. It was not designed for AICS mags, just like it was not designed for Timminey triggers. I had to adjust the lips, but have had no issues since. Just ran a PRS match in the rain, no issues. You build a custom gun, there are going to be some fitting. I run my action in a Bravo. I did trim a little off the mag catch. I took the mag catch to a sharpening stone, about 5 minutes and a perfect fit. As far as the tight up stroke, I don't even notice it. The loading action is so smooth it is hard to tell if I am chambering a round or not.

Reactions: reubenski
Mine continues to get smoother as I dry fire and shoot it. It still runs great on AICS wsm mags in a manners. No issues setting the 11lb rifle on the magazine and cycling the bolt. My smith set it up to just graze the feed lips of the mag.

Tonight I sanded my accurate mag lips to stop them from scratching my brass so much and polished the tops of the lips while I was there. Loaded a mag and cycled some dummy rounds and just started laughing. It just gets better and better.

My biggest gripe is I broke the seal on the loctite of the bolt knob to see if it was male or female threaded and now it spins. I need to re loctite it. Though it’s kind of cool with the knob slightly rotating when you cycle and feeling like it’s spinning on a bearing.