• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Badger or Seekins Base and Rings?

USNIGHTGUNNER

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
This topic may be posted but I could not find it. And if it is please let me know. I am going to mount a Premier 3x15 50mm on a 20 moa base on a Rem. 700, so what base and ring combination do you guys prefer (considering weight, quality, and ring height offered)? I have narrowed it down to Badger and Seekins and I am looking for some honest opinions. Thanks.

Re: Badger or Seekins Base and Rings?

Between the two I like Badger. But like everyone says.... cant go wrong with either. I know you didnt ask, but check out tps precision.

What about the murphy precision at the top of this webpage. Just looked at there scope bases that is made in titanium and stainless. Also looks like there coming out with titanium rings?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh and here is a thread that shows why I like the Seekins over the Badger http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1679860#Post1679860</div></div>

Thanks for the thread. It looks like it is almost like choosing between the blond and the brunette.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tookinkee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about the murphy precision at the top of this webpage. Just looked at there scope bases that is made in titanium and stainless. Also looks like there coming out with titanium rings? </div></div>

Aluminum is lighter if thats your goal. Once the wow factor is over, you will be asking yourself why you spent so much money on Ti base and rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes it is a good fit.

I have and use both and both work great. </div></div>

One last question. How would you campare the finish between the Badger and Seekins rails and mounts?

I don't really care about the finish as long as the rings hold my scope. That's the most important thing. That said the Badgers have more of a parkerized look/feel and the Seekins are a smoother black. Both are nice.

ETA Pics
Seekins
P9250004.jpg

Badger
P1010014-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usnightgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the pics Rob01, and not to drift but how do you like that Templar action?
</div></div>

Your thread so you can drift all you want
wink.gif
Love the Templar action. GAP builds a great rifle that is very accurate and the action has a good feel to it when working the bolt. I'd highly recommend it.

That's true. I just got another Seekins base/rings combo for $208 and the Badger set would be $343. I don't any difference in quality and I've measured all the dimensions of the rails on both with a good set of dial calipers. They both maintained tolerances down to .001 throughout.

I would guess that the Badgers are stronger but also that the Seekins are more than strong enough for the application. Also, knowing next to nothing about CNC machining that steel is harder to mill, yet the hard anodizing on the aluminum parts makes up for them being somewhat softer. The Seekins are lighter and I noticed that the Badger rail I took brand new out of the wrap had tinges of rust around the mounting holes. Seems to me by the time you damaged a mount like that your scope would already have been flattened by the truck tire that just rolled over your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Seekins are more than strong enough for the application..... Seems to me by the time you damaged a mount like that your scope would already have been flattened by the truck tire that just rolled over your rifle. </div></div>

Not exactly. Sometimes the mounts can break and the scope is just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would guess that the Badgers are stronger but also that the Seekins are more than strong enough for the application. </div></div>

I'd say the Seekins are probably stronger. In the rare event that a ring breaks, it's usually at the clamp that holds it to the rail. Look at them both, the Seekins is a beefy clamp, and the Badger has a much thinner piece. This was pointed out to me by a respected smith on this site who says he's seen a number of broken Badger clamps on coated rings.

FWIW, I have Badgers on my main rifle, because they were the ultimate when I first started dreaming about having a custom rifle. I'll most likely have Seekins on any future rifles. I've never broken a quality mount and doubt I ever will.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Seekins are more than strong enough for the application..... Seems to me by the time you damaged a mount like that your scope would already have been flattened by the truck tire that just rolled over your rifle. </div></div>

Not exactly. Sometimes the mounts can break and the scope is just fine. </div></div>

I would love to see that. I agree with azmutha, show me a broken Seekins and I'll show you a squashed scope. The Seekins are quite a bit wider than a badger. As mentioned above, with cost in mind, Seekins wins every time IMO.

FWIW badger makes an aluminum ring. I have used them and they work great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cpl Snafu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Seekins are more than strong enough for the application..... Seems to me by the time you damaged a mount like that your scope would already have been flattened by the truck tire that just rolled over your rifle. </div></div>

Not exactly. Sometimes the mounts can break and the scope is just fine. </div></div>

I would love to see that. I agree with azmutha, show me a broken Seekins and I'll show you a squashed scope. The Seekins are quite a bit wider than a badger. As mentioned above, with cost in mind, Seekins wins every time IMO.

FWIW badger makes an aluminum ring. I have used them and they work great. </div></div>

Here you go
IMG_1779.jpg

Here they are mounted on the rifle several months before they failed.
Picture083.jpg

Like I said, sometimes it is the metal they are made with.

They were torqued to 60 in lb. The rifle was lying across the floor behind the front seat of my truck. I hit a major bounce and I'm sure the rifle bounced and they broke.
Glen said it, anything can break.

They snapped clean, but will 5inch lbs. of over torque cause such failure? The recomended torque per the online data is 55 inch lbs. on the clamp screws. I am not so sure that 5inch lbs should make that much of a difference.

IIRC Glen said he thought the metal was defective. He did not seem to think the rifle bouncing in the truck would be enough to break the rings. I would agree, I did have a different rifle fall over onto the road. A little scratched up but not broken. USO scopes take a lickin and keep on tickin.

Only thing i could figure is it was the metal. These were made waaay back when i started and didn't know any better. Now all of my material is US, kaiser and comes with documentation that says so. I could never break a set like this and we have tried lots of times. Ruined a few scopes from jarring the crap out of them, hunting with the Argo has ruined video cameras, scopes, binos and just plain shakes everything loose.

I've got Seekins rings on a Badger base, they like each other.

The scope and rings came off another rifle with a Seekins base and no adjustments had to be made to the rings, whala, and ready to go.

I like both.

crumpmd, you are indeed right, as the photo graphically shows. I was referring more generally to 7075-T6 aluminum being up to the task. And it seems from Glen's last post that he learned from experience (and it didn't take much) and got more reliable sources for his feedstock. FWIW, Badger also makes some products, such as their AR riser rail from 7075-T6, although most is 4142 steel. I need a beer right now more than I need to know how much stronger it is.