• Having trouble using the site?

Post any issues in the thread below or reach out directly to support!

View thread Contact support
  • Precision Rifle 101

Check out this course from CR2 Shooting Solutions on essential skills to elevate your marksmanship.

View course

Hunting & Fishing Badlands hunting backpacks

2010Ruger

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2019
I’m currently planning my first elk hunt out west and in search of a decent backpack for hauling rifle and gear. Midway currently has an attractive deal on the badlands creed and tenet packs. Does anyone have first hand experience with either of these? Just to preface I’ve been an east coast tree stand hunter my entire life and am totally ignorant when it comes to backpack hunting in the mountains. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have a badlands creed pack. I haven't had any issues and I really like Badland products. I have their day pack and fanny pack. I use the fanny for bow hunting. I wouldn't think twice about buying badlands

No experience on the badlands pack. But, I too, am going on my 1st elk hunt out west this fall. Last year I picked up a pack and frame to use. I got the F1 Mainframe from Eberlestock and Solution pack from Blacks Creek. (BTW, Blacks Creek gives 25% off to vets and LEO's) I have been rucking with it and intend on hiking/camping with it all spring and summer. So far, I really like the combo.

I have a badlands creed pack. I haven't had any issues and I really like Badland products. I have their day pack and fanny pack. I use the fanny for bow hunting. I wouldn't think twice about buying badlands
Is the bow/rifle carry attachment included with the pack or is it an optional accessory?

I've used badlands for several Wyoming elk hunts, never had an issue with them. If you do they will stand behind it 100percent. If I was a professional guide in Alaska would I step up probably but only after I found out my badlands couldn't keep up.

I have a few badlands. Superday, diablo dos, and recon(discontinued). Good packs and their warranty is supposed to be top notch. If I were to be planning a hunt out west I'd be looking at kifaru or mystery ranch. Dont risk having a hard time by having a pack that dosent carry all your gear well.

As for Midway. Be careful with their sale's on badlands. I bought a superday on sale. What they failed to mention was it was not the latest version and were blowing out old stock. I mentioned it on my review and they failed to publish it. I would verify with some research that it is the version you been researching and that pack hasn't been recently redesigned.

Reactions: TACC
I'm certain this isn't what you want to hear, as I am going to tell you to spend a bit more money.

I have a Badlands Monster Fanny Pack and my old man has a Superday. These are great packs for the light deer hunting, packing your essentials to a stand, or even as a go type bag if you're a truck hunter. However, there isn't a single bag I would take on a western hunt from the Badlands line. This isn't meant to be a slight against them, as I do own one of their packs, but it's a different beast hunting elk out west.

While I am not trying to tell you to go and get the biggest, most expensive bag that MR, Kifaru or SG make, I will say that sometimes the buy once cry once method is there for good reason. You can use any bag to pack in. Depending on what you're bringing, it could be slightly uncomfortable, but you'll manage. Then let's say you luck out and shoot a monster bull elk. This will be one of the best moments in your life! As you walk up to it you realize you have something the size of a race horse to now pack out! A lot of these packs being mentioned to look at at first glance might not look a whole lot different than any big ruck, but as soon as you put any kind of weight in them is when you find out what they are really about. The three brands that keep being mentioned above are being talked about for good reason. Their load management and weight distribution systems are top notch and will enable you to more efficient and ultimately not get hurt when you are packing out.

Trust me when I say I completely understand that money is hard to come by at times. I have hunted with a lot of gear I had no business of being where I was with. Those hunts are some of the most miserable experiences I have. The only thing that makes them slightly fond memories is that I was still out hunting. I try to tell this to anyone in your position as I have been there, and the money I wasted trying to make lesser quality gear work is astonishing. $100 here and there doesn't seems as bad as $400 all at once, but ultimately I found I spent more money on crap products than I did on quality gear.

Reactions: smcfarland
If on a budget, get a Kuiu on one of their sales. You can get a pro suspension, carbon frame, and a bag for 360 bucks on sale. Just picked one up for my father this last weekends sale. If you use active Junky you get another 12 percent cash back. For the price it's hard to beat.

I used to use badlands for everything going back 10 plus years. Now I only have one badlands left, the diablo, for whitetail hunts. Out here in the west, you need a pack that is more versatile. The badlands are decent, but arent anything like the Kifaru, SG, Exo, or Kuiu. Especially when you have a load.

The Kifaru frame is where it's at. Like the poster above said, it sucks the very least with weight. I like the kuiu bags over the Kifaru bags. Had the 44mag and 22mag Kifaru bags with all the extra pockets, etc. They are bomb proof but I like the layout of the kuius better and they are a 1/3 of the weight. Took a little modification with clips and straps to get the bags to work perfect on the kifaru frame. It was worth it.

I had some time on a K2 EXO and it was nice also. Dont know if I like it any more then the Kuiu but they are both nice setups. EXO is also expensive though. The Stone Glacier I haven't had any time with but a buddy runs one and is happy with it.

Out west, you will hate yourself less with the packs I mentioned. The Badlands will work but your back will hate you if hauling. It's nothing like the Kifaru, EXO, SG, Kuiu for features and hauling. Save up another couple hundred and get the Kuiu at minimum. The Kifaru frame is another level with 60lbs+ in the pack though.

Last edited:
Not to crap on Badlands but I've had two failures on two different packs. Both thier first time packing an animal out. It sucked bad. Like said above, hauling some gear around and other things like that they work ok, but when the real work begins they will fall short. I've been in a Kifaru for 5 years now and never had an issue and it packs heavy loads like a dream compared to anything I've used prior. Definitely an investment, but if you are going to use it for its intended purpose it'll be worth it.

Like said above about going kuiu and waiting for sales, that's what I'm doing. I bought the suspension and a couple goodies on their black Friday sale. Skipped the Christmas sale, and just bought a pro 3600 bag on their last sale last week. Looks like they have sales frequently. Just pick away at the pieces one sale at a time and you will end up with a much better piece of gear in the end.

I have the badlands fanny pack, and I love it for white tail hunting, it's built well, and suits my needs for day hunts. I looked at the badlands bags as well, but they only look good as day bags. I went with the kuiu pro 3600 which will be able to pack in and out, as well as use during the day on the hunt as it compresses down to basically whatever size you need. There are bigger options if you carry a lot of gear or are going for more than 4-5 days (kuiu says that size is good for 1-3, but a couple days extra of food doesn't take that much room), and those compress just as well.

I'd suggest finding a climbing/hiking guide or someone (IE REI tree huggers) with lots a packing experience to show the ropes on packs. Why?? Cause you need to understand packs, your back, and how to wear one without causing injury. Study those aspects, THEN choose a pack brand and style that suits your desires. Getting "fitted" at a local camping/climbing store for a hiking backpack should help you towards picking out a hunting/trekking pack.

Reactions: smcfarland and TACC
If you are planning a trip out west, a pack is the last thing I would skimp on from a budget perspective. I've packed elk out on Mystery Ranch (a bunch of them) Exo, Kuiu, and Badlands. The Badlands isn't really even on the same playing field. From a budget perspective, I would spend the money on a pack and try to kill an elk with a homemade spear if I had to choose between a weapon and a pack on an elk hunt.

Reactions: smcfarland and TACC
When starting out buying backpacks, I picked up a Badlands, thought it was a great pack until I bought my first Mystery Ranch. Not even in the same league, and haven’t used the badlands since. As the other advice has stated, one of the top brands will make a world of difference and you won’t regret the decision once you are hauling gear in the trail.

I wound up purchasing an Eberlestock gunslinger 2 based off of a recommendation from the guy I’m hunting with. Just received the pack Wednesday but initial impression is good, seems to be very well made. Will give it a try this season and see how I like it. Thanks to all for the input.