Suppressors Baffle Damage Effect on Accuracy

saddlerocker

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
PA
22" Med Palma, Surefire FA556-212 can and MB556k Brake.

Long story short, my alignment was slightly off (alignment rod not touching, but favoring 12 O'clock position).
I had a couple rounds completely miss target and noticed what looked like an end cap strike.
With the borescope I saw the deformation of the 2nd to last baffle as well. (Last baffle is fine for some reason).
No other damage seen.

Anyhow, I took the MB556K brake off and re mounted with a Precision Armament Accu-Washer.
It is aligned near perfect now, but I am still throwing a round here and there. Once totally off target again. Once or twice every 100rnds it seems, so it takes a lot of ammo to troubleshoot the issue.
Could it be from that deformed baffle and/or the end cap? Seems minimal, but im an idiot.

Shooting more without the can will give me my answer, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with anything like this.
I have read Surefire can rebuild the SOCOM cans, but I dont know about a legacy FA556-212.

Suspected end cap strike originally noticed
1000003816.jpg

Borescope view of endcap damage
WIN_20240624_15_49_59_Pro.jpg

1st baffle from endcap (No real damage)
WIN_20240626_17_37_09_Pro.jpg

2nd from last baffle
WIN_20240626_17_36_06_Pro.jpg

Is there a relief cut at the back of the muzzle threads? Are you sure that the shoulder face behind it is true? Muzzle threads concentric with bore?

I'd wager that the SF stuff is fairly true and square. Admittedly having not handled a lot of it; but their tenure and use case shines in their favor, disregarding carbon complaints and such.

If this is a new build, I'd start at the muzzle end of the barrel. Remove the MD, send your alignment rod, and measure all around. Or chuck it in a lathe, or whatever your means are. But if the shoulder is not square, or you have no relief cut; it will not matter what shim you use, as it would be mating to an out of square surface.

Call SF about the can repair, and send them the MD to check, when they do it maybe 🤷‍♂️

I have it aligned good now.
It's wasn't terrible before, but the rod favored 12 o clock a little and that's where the damage is.
I may not have had enough torque.

I shot without the can today and still had some questionable groups where it looks like only 4 hits. It is possible 2 in the same hole, but doubtful.
Previously I had 1st round of a group misses so could tell for sure a round was off target.

I have an email in to surefire about repairs and their opinion if that damage would cause fliers.

I am beginning to think it's the barrel somehow. Maybe a bad crown. If it continues with no can attached obviously it is something else.

I sent an email to Surefire with photos asking if they can even do anything with the legacy cans, and if they thought the damage would cause any accuracy issues.

They just gave an RMA and said send it in.
Kinda bummed with that response.

I am thinking about having my barrel cut down an inch and re crowned/threaded as I suspect that is the main issue at this point.
Still need to shoot some more without the can, but last time out I am fairly certain I had a flier off target with just the brake.
(Its hard to tell on paper sometimes if you have 2 in the same hole or not, unless it's a first round flier)

I sent an email to Surefire with photos asking if they can even do anything with the legacy cans, and if they thought the damage would cause any accuracy issues.

They just gave an RMA and said send it in.
Kinda bummed with that response.

I am thinking about having my barrel cut down an inch and re crowned/threaded as I suspect that is the main issue at this point.
Still need to shoot some more without the can, but last time out I am fairly certain I had a flier off target with just the brake.
(Its hard to tell on paper sometimes if you have 2 in the same hole or not, unless it's a first round flier)

I don't own any SureFire suppressors, but based on my experience with their CS for other products, they will take care of you.