• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

Barrel brand recommendations for a terminus zeus

AustinWojo

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2024
Wisconsin
Fairly new to the rifle building scene. Just wondering what brands you recommend that work with a terminus zeus action. Caliber is 308, i was thinking 24-26” full steel is preferable as the weight of the gun is not an issue. Thank you

I have 3 Kriegers, 3 Bartleins, and a Brux. All of them run extremely well. You won't be able to tell the difference in accuracy. Just get the one that matches your desired contour and is in stock. I'll second Southern Precision Rifles for their barrel selection, and also add Bullet Central.

What exactly is the pros and cons of shouldered vs barrel nut?

One is gay...very, very gay...

The other is shouldered.

Putting a barrel nut on an action like a Terminus is kind of like putting an Auto Zone rear wing on a Ferrari.

Seriously, good gunsmiths can cut barrels now well enough that you don't have to do the headspacing on your own.

The only thing i know of is just needing a gunsmith to chamber and attach the shouldered prefits, but i also have very little knowledge on this topic.

You need a gunsmith to chamber. You do not need to have them attach a shouldered prefit. That is done on your own just like a barrel nut...just without the nut. Simply torque to spec, check headspace (some consider this optional now with how tight tolerances are), and go.

The barrel nut became popular when the tolerances in actions were so poor that it was 100% necessary for the end user to adjust headspacing on their own.

You need a gunsmith to chamber. You do not need to have them attach a shouldered prefit. That is done on your own just like a barrel nut...just without the nut. Simply torque to spec, check headspace (some consider this optional now with how tight tolerances are), and go.

The barrel nut became popular when the tolerances in actions were so poor that it was 100% necessary for the end user to adjust headspacing on their own.
I see, thank you for the feedback.

Reactions: diggler1833
Terminus even makes a QC Zeus...and that operation is so simple that it just takes an Allen wrench and enough man-strength to tighten the barrel by hand. This is also the case with anything AI post 2014, and the Seekins Havak HIT actions.
This is my first custom built rifle and i do not intend to use it in any competitions just casual plinking at long range so i don’t really see a need to swap barrels unless the one i have is shot out. I feel like that would take awhile though

Do you guys recommend getting barrel nut prefits?

Never with an action that can take a shouldered prefit. Why would you? No upside and more work.

Josh at PVA, @bohem here on the Hide, can get you one of his Osprey blanks done as a shouldered prefit. I have used other brand barrels like Kreiger, Rock, Bartlein etc and all are good and the Ospreys are right there with them. I would recommend a 26" in MTU or Comp contour if weight isn't a concern as it will help cut recoil.

Reactions: AustinWojo
Never with an action that can take a shouldered prefit. Why would you? No upside and more work.

Josh at PVA, @bohem here on the Hide, can get you one of his Osprey blanks done as a shouldered prefit. I have used other brand barrels like Kreiger, Rock, Bartlein etc and all are good and the Ospreys are right there with them. I would recommend a 26" in MTU or Comp contour if weight isn't a concern as it will help cut recoil.

Ill be honest i dont know much about contour and was planning going with a bull contour thats .936” how does that compare thickness wise to the mtu or comp contour?

"Bull" is kind of a generic term for a heavy barrel. The whole contour matters and not just what the muzzle diameter is. The Proof Comp is about the heaviest under the full 1.2/1.25" straight contour. The MTU is close to the bull measurement at the muzzle but its a taper down to it so pretty heavy also. If you don't care about weight then get the Proof Comp. I have a few of those on my match rifles and not hard to get around with it.

Will most likely go through PVA that pretty much has every customizable option i was looking for
Ill be honest i dont know much about contour and was planning going with a bull contour thats .936” how does that compare thickness wise to the mtu or comp contour?
does getting the spiraled or diamond barrel fluting remove a lot of weight from the barrel? Obviously i know it will lose some but i want to keep as much weight as possible, and still have it look cool with the fluting.

The fluting will remove some weight but the barrel is still heavy. Here is my 6mm ARC barrel that is a Proof Comp Contour with spiral fluting. It does look pretty cool.

IMG_4023a.jpg

Terminus even makes a QC Zeus...and that operation is so simple that it just takes an Allen wrench and enough man-strength to tighten the barrel by hand. This is also the case with anything AI post 2014, and the Seekins Havak HIT actions.

That's interesting. I'm checking out Terminus actions as the OP is, learning new options in this thread.

In the past, I got a switch lug added onto a Tikka action by WTO. They did a nice job, I can swap 6/6.5 CM barrels quickly at the range with an allen wrench, it's a minimal shift in the zero. It only has one modest disadvantage I've seen so far: you have to call WTO to chamber and prefit a barrel for your specific action that the switchlug is installed on. They keep the action specs on file. But this kind of slows down the barrel process, because you go thru this one shop, and all barrels have to be done on-demand. There are no mass-produced prefit barrels for my specific Tikka action with switchlug.

I assume the advantage of the Zeus QC action--for the purpose of barrel changes--is that it lets you get mass-produced, shouldered prefits made for the Zeus from various barrel makers or custom shops. So the Zeus is basically increasing the number of available prefit barrel options I have from multiple sources, while still being a quick-change system?

I assume the advantage of the Zeus QC action--for the purpose of barrel changes--is that it lets you get mass-produced, shouldered prefits made for the Zeus from various barrel makers or custom shops. So the Zeus is basically increasing the number of available prefit barrel options I have from multiple sources, while still being a quick-change system?

I will personally opine that the greatest benefit to a QC action is being able to change barrels in the field without needing an action/barrel vice.

Many actions now benefit from shouldered prefits, made by a multitude of companies that are produced in significant quantity. Even the non-QC like the Origin and Solus, or Impact, CDG, etc... have a ton of prefits out there. So availability isn't really the reason why guys chose a QC.

Reactions: keenedge