• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

barrel contour/build spec for a "lightweight "300 prc?

bob7-08

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2010
EU
hi,

i found a good deal on a deviant LA magnum bolt face so i bought it..
i'm about to order a barrel for it but have not a lot of experience in lightweigt magnum caliber.
my current main hunting rifle is a 6xc with a lothar walter heavy sporter barrel(+-3b).

i will order a game hunter carbon stock or maybe a gunwerk magnus when they will answer my mail about it's weight and ordering process for the foreigners.

i think a 26" light palma barrel should be fine but not sure about how it will balance or work in this caliber?
otherwise which bdl ,mag box ,follower and spring would you choose,i used to have badger m5 for a long time so no experienced about bdl too!

thank you for your help!

Definitely go with a 28-30” barrel with a mtu contour. You can use and standard Remington bdl mag box spring and follower or m5 or whatever you can find.

Reactions: Duffy1298
Definitely go with a 28-30” barrel with a mtu contour. You can use and standard Remington bdl mag box spring and follower or m5 or whatever you can find.

Even by Sniper’s Hide standards that will not be lightweight.

My choice would be carbon fiber, Proof or Bartlein.

I do admit for a hunting rifle, your choice of a light Palma contour is in the right direction.

Reactions: paulwardd
You're being sarcastic right, I can't tell? The barrel alone would be over 7 lbs.

I really wouldn't even consider a rifle with a light Palma contour being a lightweight hunting rifle. But it really depends on what you want it for. If youre not packing it around all day, then I would say a light Palma or bartlein 3b at 23"-24" long.

Reactions: spife7980
The OP didn’t say what he’s going to chamber it in or what style of hunting. He did say LA magnum and I deduced it’s likely long range hunting. The last thing I want on my cannon is a pencil thin barrel. I like something with a little more meat on it and the extra couple of pounds will help mitigate the recoil. I believe light weight barrels have a place but I don’t believe it’s on LA magnums capable of 1+ mile accuracy. To each his own though.

You're being sarcastic right, I can't tell? The barrel alone would be over 7 lbs.

I really wouldn't even consider a rifle with a light Palma contour being a lightweight hunting rifle. But it really depends on what you want it for. If youre not packing it around all day, then I would say a light Palma or bartlein 3b at 23"-24" long.
Okay so maybe a mtu or m24 is a bit heavier but I can stand him lugging a few more pounds up the side of some frozen mountain. Yes I was being facetious. I guess I should have put a lol or 😂

I'm not really sure what goals the OP has in mind... Thread states "light weight" 300PRC and stock choices seem to support weight savings as a key priority, but then a 26" light palma?

Certainly not unmanageable, just not what I would consider "light weight" as that's roughly a 5lb barrel. Combined with action and stock choices mentioned so far that's close to a 10lb rifle. Plus whatever scope/accessories are added on top.

Does the OP consider a 10lb rifle... 12+ with optic... "light weight"? If so go for it all your component choices mentioned are solid pieces of kit.

As far as bdl bottom metal, not much help as I have only used the Remington stuff myself. Always hated dumping rounds out the bottom. Switched everything to magazine fed as soon as long action mags/bottom metal became widely available years ago.

Reactions: kswaterfowl
thank you for all your opinions,
the carbon barrel would be a great option but unfortunatelly not really easy to find in my country .
my latest magnum caliber rifle was a 300 wm trg 42 and sold it because to heavy to carry in the field.
i'd like to find how light i can go without compromising accuracy and shootability.
i started this build because i find a good deal on this deviant action and since my current rifles are a 260 and a 6xc i'm not always confident when i have to shoot big boars at long range.

If you want to stay in that sub 10lb lightweight I would go with a Bartlein 3 contour in 26in barrel.... if it’s truly a hunting rifle you’ll never heat it up enough to cause accuracy shift.

You mentioned you’re from a foreign country and it’s for hunting. Which country are you from and what are you hunting? Not that they would admit it but I’d hate like hell to be helping a enemy of ours to make a better rifle to hunt American service members and our allies with. Being retired military I gotta ask.

Reactions: Gar.
You mentioned you’re from a foreign country and it’s for hunting. Which country are you from and what are you hunting? Not that they would admit it but I’d hate like hell to be helping a enemy of ours to make a better rifle to hunt American service members and our allies with. Being retired military I gotta ask.

Wow... are you really that on edge or just completely jaded?

OP already stated it's for boar hunting.

If you want to stay in that sub 10lb lightweight I would go with a Bartlein 3 contour in 26in barrel.... if it’s truly a hunting rifle you’ll never heat it up enough to cause accuracy shift.

you must be right ,3 or maybe 3b should be fine ,26" will be perfect,considering i will run it suppressed sometimes.

you must be right ,3 or maybe 3b should be fine ,26" will be perfect,considering i will run it suppressed sometimes.

Now I get why you wanted the light palma as the not previously mentioned suppressor changes the game... any others super secret squirrel stuff you're hiding from us you devious spy? :ROFLMAO:

3 or 3B might not support your thread pitch at 26". What thread pitch do you need?

Not sure what gun smiths you have locally, but with the new info fluting a light palma might be your best option.

Reactions: jcmullis2
Keep em coming guys. I mean, my goodness what was I thinking. Everyone loves America and foreign wannabe snipers only use sniper forum’s from their native country. They wouldn’t use the hide.

Reactions: Gar.
Keep em coming guys. I mean, my goodness what was I thinking. Everyone loves America and foreign wannabe snipers only use sniper forum’s from their native country. They wouldn’t use the hide.

No worries, I/we will.

I mean you did break the cardinal rule of what is discussed in the pit stays in the pit... so actually per the unwritten rules we're just getting started. How else could we ensure the ADHD gear whores, the anal retentive minutia chasers, and the basement dwelling tin foil hats, such as yourself, each get their own "safe space" to hold discussions with like minded individuals?

After all everyone in the tech sections already knows that wannabe snipers are only scary when they have a majestic and magical AI. The only rifle ever made that never fails, will shoot tiny little groups on target every single time and most important of all is that AI's can do it all without ever missing the target regardless of shooter, distance or conditions. :cool:

Obviously I jest to an extent to bust your balls, but most here do try to keep the tech sections strictly on gear and tech. Keeping discussions on the hazards of the world strictly within the confines of the pit.

• Haha
Reactions: supercorndogs