Gunsmithing Barrel length and twist rate for 22-250 rem

Jeff in TX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2004
McKinney, TX
I've been all over the map looking for my next build and have settled on a heavy barreled 22-250. The rifle will be for ground hogs and prairie dogs with maximum shots out to 700 yards with most shots in the 300 to 600 yard range.

With that said I need help on barrel length and twist rate recommendations for shooting 40 and 50 gr varmint bullets. I'm thinking 24" or maybe 26" but no clue on the twist rate.

Thoughts and as always thanks for your input.

Re: Barrel length and twist rate for 22-250 rem

My 22-250 has a 25" 8 twist Bartlein on it. I was running 62gr Bergers until I couldn't get them any longer. Now I'm working up a load for the 77gr Berger OTM and the 80 VLD. Just need to see which it does better with.

52's did well in the past. I tried 40's one time, most of them made it to the target in one piece, they were bein pushed pretty hard though.

I have two prairie dog rigs in 22-250 both with 26" heavy barrels. One with a 1:12 and one with a 1:14. Both stabilize the 50 and 53gr Vmax great and the 55gr. Nosler Bt extremely well. Typically the 1:14s should stablilize anything up to 55gr and the 1:12's should bea able to stablilze up to 60-63gr bullets. I haven't tried anything over 55gr.with the 1:12.

Another 22-250 has a 22" heavy barrel with a 1:14 and has stablzed everything from 40 to 55gr bullets well.

If you want expansion at long range, the 75 and 80 grain amaxes are going to be your best bet. Barrel length is going to depend on your preferences. I would suggest a 28 incher if you're cool with it. It's still easiest way to raise velocity without raising pressure.

An 8 twist is where it's at.

What kind of barrel life are you guys getting? I know that question is beaten to death and causes some to cringe, but I am curious. A friend of mine has one with about 4K through it and he still prints bitty groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: my human host</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An 8 twist is where it's at. </div></div>

How does the 1:8 twist do on lighter 40 to 50 gr bullets?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff in TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: my human host</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An 8 twist is where it's at. </div></div>

How does the 1:8 twist do on lighter 40 to 50 gr bullets? </div></div>

They blow up if you push them to hard , to much RPM's
Ive had several 22-250's in both regular and the Ackley improved and the AI makes a huger differance in case life.
That said I think a 243 is a better round , you can push the 55g Ballistic tips (which have a higher BC than the 55g 22 cals) ALOT faster , 4000 fps is not anywhere near a hot load from a 26" barrel and that will help with barrel life a little.

All things being equal I think my nect live varmint gun will be a 6mm Dasher with a 1-8 twist , i think i could still push the 55g pills close to 4000 without blowing them up and can shoot the 105 VLD style bullets for long range

For some reason when I tried to push light bullets through my fast twisted 6mm built to shoot heavy bullets, they shot like crap.
Tried different jumps to lands, different velocities(low and high).. shot 1"-1.5"

Only tried it with a 243win, but had no luck. I feel that if my twist rate would've been like 1-10or11 it would have done better. I had a 1-8. 26" barrel

Would've been fun to shoot those 55s at 4k+
smile.gif

I might try again one day

If you're looking to shoot prairie rats you can't go wrong with an 8 or 9 twist and the 75 or 80 A-Maxes. They make a wonderful mess and they buck the wind well when it comes up like it often does here in SD.