• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Barrel moved while trying to index muzzle break

Thepopo

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2024
Toronto
So I noticed the muzzle break on my Ruger RPR 6.5CM was not as level as it should be. As I tried to get it loosen up with a bar and a hella lot of force the barrel and muzzle break rotated clockwise a little, actually to where the muzzle break is now level. It was like 2 and 8 and now its 3 and 9. Guy at the range I was talking about was concerned about how the nut might be loose. Do I need to get in there? Barrel is tight and I can't move it by hand and firing is fine so far. I ordered a armorers wrench and all the go no go gauges anyway but just wanted to see what ya'll think.

^^^
What he said...
If you really did move it 1/12 revolution, you've increased headspace by quite a bit- likely too much. If you have a go gauge (preferable) or a correctly sized case, take a piece of Plastigage or thin electronics solder, put it on the boltface, squish it against the gauge/casehead and then mike it to measure your headspace.

If you handload, you'd need to account for that with your shoulder bump or you're gonna end up with a casehead separation in short order.

Were I you, I'd make it "right". Re-torque the barrel using a go gauge and then time the brake. Not sure what you had in mind- you can't just loosen a brake. If it's timed with a crush washer, the brake needs to be removed competely and a new crush washer installed. I'm guessing that's the case because factory rifles don't usually have brakes timed with hard shoulders.

Make sure to use a barrel vise this time ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Thepopo and Baron23
^^^
What he said...
If you really did move it 1/12 revolution, you've increased headspace by quite a bit- likely too much. If you have a go gauge (preferable) or a correctly sized case, take a piece of Plastigage or thin electronics solder, put it on the boltface, squish it against the gauge/casehead and then mike it to measure your headspace.

If you handload, you'd need to account for that with your shoulder bump or you're gonna end up with a casehead separation in short order.

Were I you, I'd make it "right". Re-torque the barrel using a go gauge and then time the brake. Not sure what you had in mind- you can't just loosen a brake. If it's timed with a crush washer, the brake needs to be removed competely and a new crush washer installed. I'm guessing that's the case because factory rifles don't usually have brakes timed with hard shoulders.

The rpr muzzle break is self timing, need to break the lock by loose and then unscrew the brake.

^^^
What he said...

The move would have reduced head space I beleive. Barrel turned clockwise so less headspace.