barrel temp?

AJK07

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2013
North Dakota
I am fairly new to the long range shooting scene and was wondering how hot can rifle barrel get before I have to worry about damage being done to its accuracy potential? I shoot a Rem 700 SPS Varmint in .308

In my opinion if its to hot to leave your hand wrapped around the barrel for a good 5 seconds then it's too hot and depending on the gun you will see accuracy suffer. That could mean for me on a hot day in west Texas 1 round per 45 seconds.

Why not test it?

Shoot several rounds to get the barrel warm. Then shoot quickly and see what the point of impact does.

On my 700, if I get the barrel fairly warm to the touch, then shoot 5 shots quickly, I can see the point of impact move up to the the right.

With 308 you don't have to worry much... just shoot. Barrels are consumable. Heck! I shoot open f-class with my 338 Lapua Improved on a 100 degree temp here in So. Cal ( 25 rounds in 30 minutes). You can pretty much fry egg in my barrel after I'm done shooting. The Broughton has over 2000 rounds through it and it's still shoot lights out.

A high-quality barrel that's stress-relieved will often show very little change in POI when it heats up.

Lesser quality (factory) barrels will tend to walk more.

You'll have to shoot it, to determine if/where that "line" is with YOUR barrel.

Another hotly debated topic, but that's my take based on the information I've processed...