BCM MK2 vs BCM standard upper

Fret

USAF Retired
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2017
N Idaho
I'm going to swap my 16" BCM BHF ELW standard upper for a similar 14.5" upper. Is it worth waiting for the ones with the MK2 uppers to surface? Are the MK2 uppers significantly better than the standard uppers?

The MK2 is a better design overall. Its pretty amazing what Paul and his team were able to do. They took the common failure/weak areas of the upper and beefed them up while not increasing the overall weight of it.

Basically taking meat from where its not needed and putting into areas of risk.

That doesn't mean you should trash your current uppers or whatever, but if buying a new BCM upper there is no reason to not go with the MK2 EXCEPT:

It will limit rail choices. Certain rails like G with the anti-rotation tabs will not work, so better to order a complete MK2 upper from BCM to ensure compatibility.

For most people the differences won't matter. This is designed for people who run their shit hard in bad environments and want a little more insurance.

I know you can get them as part of a complete upper and I've seen the stripped upper receiver listed for sale on websites but always out of stock.
With all this gun control crap coming down, I wonder if I should just buy the upper with the standard receiver while they have them, since another wave of panic buying might hit?

bcm_upper_receiver_mk2_001-1866680.jpg

bcm_upper_receiver_mk2_002-1866681.jpg

Reactions: bfoosh006
I've been wondering too if any bare uppers have ever been verified to have actually made it out into the wild and into the hands of regular Joes

They were widely available for a short period of time, and have not been in stock since the initial shipment to distributors/dealers. I have one sitting in the box waiting to be built.

It pisses me off that companies come out with new stuff like this, promote it, do a production run or two, and then it becomes vaporware.
Well considering the current firearms situation it’s hard to blame BCM because you can’t get what you want when you want it.
They could also be fulfilling contracts and having supply issues like a lot of other industries.

Reactions: rpoL98 and BJames
These have been rare since release, especially as a stripped receiver. I wanted to try one for a build in early 2020 (pre-COVID) but stuck with an old MUR I had been using forever.

Here is a 16" from another forum. If the asking price came down enough I would buy it and sell off the parts, keep the MK2.

When I was looking to build (~2019), I was waiting a bit for the mk2 upper.
It quickly became obvious they weren't going to be restocked soon.

I wanted either BCM, VLTOR or Noveske for thermal fit requirements.

I found a Noveske and used one in a build.
Some VLTORs came into Brownells, but I didn't want to pay the ~179+ for a stripped upper.

When stripped "blem" MK1 uppers were available from BCM, I went with those.
I can never find the blem on them and they are nicely priced at $90 (now).